U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
 
12,657 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, not in this country. I wouldn't entering their home either, unless I saw others doing so or was asked to. That isn't an etiquette issue in our country. Or at least not in the regions I've lived in.

Hats is.
It is an etiquette issue, as I mentioned, just go up to the world forum thread on the subject and you will see many Americans say yes to shoes off, or no to shoes off.

Where I grew up in the midwest, it was etiquette to take shoes off, yet my parents never thought so because they grew up in the south. I learned fast from from people when we moved to the midwest to take off my shoes when entering the home. I do now because it is dirty to track dirt from the outside in all over the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 PM
 
12,657 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Many of you guys aren't ready for hat ownership. If you have one you should turn it in to the Hat Authority.
Many of you are not ready for debating, other than "it is etiquette", and "it always has been like this", all the while ignoring the questions why do you not follow all etiquette rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 PM
 
32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29784
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is an etiquette issue, as I mentioned, just go up to the world forum thread on the subject and you will see many Americans say yes to shoes off, or no to shoes off.

Where I grew up in the midwest, it was etiquette to take shoes off, yet my parents never thought so because they grew up in the south. I learned fast from from people when we moved to the midwest to take off my shoes when entering the home. I do now because it is dirty to track dirt from the outside in all over the floor.

Ok, where you lived it is. Where I lived it isn't. It wasn't in Wisconsin except on farms/rural areas.

Not sure what your point is. The hats thing is in the U.S. and UK (all I know about). Again, not sure your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM
 
32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29784
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many of you are not ready for debating, other than "it is etiquette", and "it always has been like this", all the while ignoring the questions why do you not follow all etiquette rules.

I follow the ones I was taught, as most people do. For instance, I walk on the street side of my date. Always have. I stand when my date/a woman comes to my dinner table at home or at a restaurant.

Not sure about the point you're trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 PM
 
8,936 posts, read 15,857,638 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I follow the ones I was taught, as most people do. For instance, I walk on the street side of my date. Always have. I stand when my date/a woman comes to my dinner table at home or at a restaurant.
Do you stand everytime a women enters/exists a room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
 
12,657 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17300
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I follow the ones I was taught, as most people do. For instance, I walk on the street side of my date. Always have. I stand when my date/a woman comes to my dinner table at home or at a restaurant.

Not sure about the point you're trying to make.
You follow the ones you were taught, not all of them then. The point is regarding the hat issue; some see it as some etiquette, polite thing, others see no big deal about it. Yet the hats off crowd is more than willing to pass judgement to those who do not take their hats off, and cannot come up with an argument as to why hats off other than "just because".

At least with shoes off, an argument can be made that shoes off keeps from dirt being tracked around the home. I fail to see what not taking off a hat does.

Also, given there are numerous etiquettes not followed, I do not see why the focus is on this one, all the while ignoring their failure to do others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
 
32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Do you stand everytime a women enters/exists a room?

No, because that isn't the etiquette I was taught. I told you what I was taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,259,394 times
Reputation: 11427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Then hat eitquette really isn't a big impact to your life, unless hats aren't being tipped in your direction as much as they should

Do you have a problem with people not following convention and tipping their hat towards you or in some instances even wearing them in your presence?

Are you alarmed that people aren't standing up everytime you enter or exit a room?

Do you get angry when walking on a public street that a guy you are with doesn't stand on the curb side at all times?

How about when sharing the back seating arrangement of a car with a man - if he takes the seat to your right do you get offended at the implication that has on you?
It depends on where we are.

In fact at work the guys are required to wear hard hats.....and leave them on.

At a outdoor social event....no big deal.

Would a hire a man that at an interview did not remove his hat??.....NO.

Out to a nice restaurant or, other event.....I would not get mad however.....my opinion of them would go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
 
12,657 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Do you stand everytime a women enters/exists a room?
Of course he does not, just as he does not expect a woman to be in a different room when men are over for a gathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
 
32,730 posts, read 22,687,383 times
Reputation: 29784
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You follow the ones you were taught, not all of them then. The point is regarding the hat issue; some see it as some etiquette, polite thing, others see no big deal about it. Yet the hats off crowd is more than willing to pass judgement to those who do not take their hats off, and cannot come up with an argument as to why hats off other than "just because".

At least with shoes off, an argument can be made that shoes off keeps from dirt being tracked around the home. I fail to see what not taking off a hat does.

Also, given there are numerous etiquettes not followed, I do not see why the focus is on this one, all the while ignoring their failure to do others.

That is because it is what they were taught. That is understandable. If I wasn't taught something, how can I do it?

Etiquette does change, slowly, but the hat one in places I've lived has not. Perhaps that is why the focus is there. I can't answer that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top