U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, because that isn't the etiquette I was taught. I told you what I was taught.
I didn't want to assume that was a comprehensive list

Why weren't you tought all the proper points of etiquette?

Why do you only have to follow the convention you know?

If someone who wears their hat without difference to their location & circumstance who was not tought otherwise precluded from this convention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
It seems like this has become a very acceptable practice. I remember years ago, men entered buildings and immediately removed their hats. Not so much anymore. Seems like society has become ultra casual in this regard.

When I see guys wearing hats inside, even today, it looks odd. BTW, I'm 39y/o....so I'm not that old.
It looks just as silly as women wearing sleeveless dresses in Winter.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Of course he does not, just as he does not expect a woman to be in a different room when men are over for a gathering.

Why are you arguing? I said I stand when a woman comes to my table. That is what I was taught as proper etiquette. If you were taught something else that is your business.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM

12,637 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It depends on where we are.

In fact at work the guys are required to wear hard hats.....and leave them on.

At a outdoor social event....no big deal.

Would a hire a man that at an interview did not remove his hat??.....NO.

Out to a nice restaurant or, other event.....I would not get mad however.....my opinion of them would go down.
They wear hard hats for safety, not for fashion or out of etiquette.

A guy who wears a clown suit with no hat would not get hired either, etiquette has nothing to do with it.

And someone's opinion of you probably goes down if they see you violating one of the numerous etiquettes you do not adhere to in your daily life.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Many of you guys aren't ready for hat ownership. If you have one you should turn it in to the Hat Authority.
I have a hat that looks like one Carmen Miranda would wear, when I attempted to set it off to the side the busboy kept trying to take it away. From now on, it stays on my head during dinner.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I didn't want to assume that was a comprehensive list

Why weren't you tought all the proper points of etiquette?

Why do you only have to follow the convention you know?

If someone who wears their hat without difference to their location & circumstance who was not tought otherwise precluded from this convention?

If I don't know it, I can't follow it. Obviously. When I visit a country I try to learn something about their customs to not embarrass myself.

I can't tell you why my parents taught me what they taught me. I can only assume it was because it was they were taught.

If they weren't taught otherwise I wouldn't sweat it. I probably wouldn't notice outside of the pledge or church, but I would hope they would, when being informed, that it was etiquette that they adapt their behavior.

This bickering is idiotic.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times
Quote:
That is because it is what they were taught. That is understandable. If I wasn't taught something, how can I do it?

Etiquette does change, slowly, but the hat one in places I've lived has not. Perhaps that is why the focus is there. I can't answer that.
I think what I find interesting (and I'm guessing Boxus does as well) is that some people cling and fight so desparately to justify one convention or point of etiquette

However, will pay no mind to violating another or not put equal weight on it.

What becomes even more interesting is when the convention serves no real purpose or point beyond "it's etiquette, to do otherwise is vulgar, etc"

There are some regional differences to what is considered appropriate, age differences, gender differences, etc.

It's amusing that this is one that some people hold onto so tightly for no real reason

Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
They wear hard hats for safety, not for fashion or out of etiquette.

A guy who wears a clown suit with no hat would not get hired either, etiquette has nothing to do with it.

And someone's opinion of you probably goes down if they see you violating one of the numerous etiquettes you do not adhere to in your daily life.
I am sure that is true.

Maybe you could start a thread about my short comings......

Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM

12,637 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Quote:
Why are you arguing? I said I stand when a woman comes to my table. That is what I was taught as proper etiquette. If you were taught something else that is your business.
The discussion is regarding hats, and how some posters think lower of people who do not remove their hats.

Do you think lower of someone who does not remove their hat?

Of course there is going to be a response to a group who feels to judge people on the basis of some obligatory BS invented out of no where. What makes it better is that these same people who criticize others, cannot come up with a reason to defend the hats off thing, and also has not addressed the questions regarding the etiquettes they do not adhere to.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The discussion is regarding hats, and how some posters think lower of people who do not remove their hats.

Do you think lower of someone who does not remove their hat?

Of course there is going to be a response to a group who feels to judge people on the basis of some obligatory BS invented out of no where. What makes it better is that these same people who criticize others, cannot come up with a reason to defend the hats off thing, and also has not addressed the questions regarding the etiquettes they do not adhere to.

I don't see people wearing hats much so I really can't comment. It isn't fashion nowadays. I would think negatively if it were in church or during the pledge of allegiance, probably. I guess I would notice then.

People judge each other all the time. It's natural. I judge candidates that don't write thank you notes. Others don't. Whatever. Do what you will and if other people judge you for it, who the f*ck cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty