Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It is not that "women are not allowed to be muscular," the fact is that it is not possible for the vast majority of women.

How many overly ripped women have you seen in person? I'm not talking about pictures you have seen online or in bodybuilding magazines.

I'm a runner and weightlifter. I've run hundreds of races and spend anywhere from 4-8 hours in the gym each week. I rarely see a women who I would consider "ripped" or too muscular. I've seen a couple of women in the past 2-3 years who looked like they were somewhat serious weightlifters. They would not stand out, however, when wearing regular clothes.

The point is that the women I see working out are trying to lose excess weight and firm up out of shape bodies. Unless you spend time at bodybuilding competitions or work out at the few gyms that cater to this crowd, you are unlikely to ever see a ripped woman.

An to Johnbiggs and the others who don't want to "to look too ripped," don't worry it will not happen to you unless you dedicate yourself to both the lifting and diet, and are also genetically inclined.
There is enough variation in women's body types where in certain circles, certain body parts can easily be deemed undesirable. For example a woman who has "big quads." It doesn't take much for a women who tends towards having size in her legs to cross over unconventionally muscular. Or in her shoulders. Or neck. ......

For every person here who thinks sprinters look awesome there are 3 who day their legs are too big.

Anyone can be generically inclined to gain unwanted or undesired size that crosses the over into difficult to shop for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is enough variation in women's body types where in certain circles, certain body parts can easily be deemed undesirable. For example a woman who has "big quads." It doesn't take much for a women who tends towards having size in her legs to cross over unconventionally muscular. Or in her shoulders. Or neck. ......

For every person here who thinks sprinters look awesome there are 3 who day their legs are too big.

Anyone can be generically inclined to gain unwanted or undesired size that crosses the over into difficult to shop for.
I would agree with you if you substituted the word "fat" for "size." I see lots of women who have huge thighs, calves, butts, upper arms, etc. due to being overweight. So are you saying those women should not lift weights because they might gain some muscle where there is now only fat?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
I would agree with you if you substituted the word "fat" for "size." I see lots of women who have huge thighs, calves, butts, upper arms, etc. due to being overweight. So are you saying those women should not lift weights because they might gain some muscle where there is now only fat?
I know women whose big quads, arms, shoulders, etc. are definitely due to muscle mass, not fat.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
LMAO. Hilarious.

Choose who is most physically attractive between:

Michelle Kwan or Kim Kardashian?

Tonya Harding or Jennifer Lopez?

Tara Lipinski or Ivet Lalova?

I rest my case. Its not even close.
Michelle Kwan was gorgeous in her prime. I'm sure she still is.

Tara Lipinski was also delightful, but that was a long time ago and again, I can only imagine she aged well.

Tonya Harding was ugly on the inside and still is.

I want no part of any Kardashian. Jennifer Lopez is all right, but not my type. I don't know who the last one is.

All I'm saying is speak for yourself. I don't know anyone who would agree with your tastes.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
I think women should lift weights. But there are plenty of people out there that think this Serena Williams is "too muscular" and others call her fat.

Serena Williams defeats Sloane Stephens in fourth round of U.S.*Open | Beyond The Baseline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know women whose big quads, arms, shoulders, etc. are definitely due to muscle mass, not fat.
Yup! There are lots of women like this...and some people complain and call it unfeminine.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
I'm not attracted to overly ripped men.

A guy with a slim, slightly toned body is the perfect guy.

But then again, I don't really care much about a guy's body. Just as long as he isn't obese.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
I just watched Ashley Wagner skate the short program to Pink Floyd. She is a physically mature and delicious young woman with everything nice. She would wear me out, but it would be bliss.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
No, the standards aren't the same. Despite all the posters here, with opinions to the contrary, women are not allowed to be muscular, according to broader society.

Visible muscle is too much in the "beauty" professions: acting and modeling.

Women who get muscular (and visible muscle) are accused of looking masculine or too hard.

Women with "larger" than average muscle size can't find clothing. (ask any woman with bigger thighs or a broader back or bigger arms how much fin she has trying to get suiting garments.)
acting and modeling are not accurate portrayals of society as a whole.

women who get muscular have to beat men away with a stick, who are you kidding. And it's usually the right kind of men, the low self esteem guys won't go near her because the thought of a woman who is as strong or stronger than them is too much to handle, they want their women weak and submissive. It's extremely hard for a woman to pack on enough muscle to lose her femininity, estrogen makes sure of that. We men look the way we do because of our high T levels.

to the OP, I think your right that the equivalent levels of muscle mass considered sexy by the most people are the same in both sexes. For women that means naturally less muscle, but still strong. Men will be bulkier and bigger, but the same "not too much, not too little, juuuusssttt right" scale is the same.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think there's just this good amount of muscle that both guys and girls, whether hetero and homo sexual like. Not ripped and not weak, but just fit and athletic. Girls look better a little smoother while guys look better with a little more definition to the muscle, but with the muscle amount being the same in both sexes.

What do you think?
Half ripped for guys so you can see he works out but still has other stuff on his mind.

Toned for women.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,031 times
Quote:
No, the standards aren't the same. Despite all the posters here, with opinions to the contrary, women are not allowed to be muscular, according to broader society.

Visible muscle is too much in the "beauty" professions: acting and modeling.

Women who get muscular (and visible muscle) are accused of looking masculine or too hard.

Women with "larger" than average muscle size can't find clothing. (ask any woman with bigger thighs or a broader back or bigger arms how much fin she has trying to get suiting garments.)
Just as Tofur said, 'acting" and "modeling' are not "broader society" as you say. They are small niches where only very few are involved.

Women who are fit/muscular will NEVER have to worry about not being able to attract men. Not only are they extremely physically attractive, there is also a certain confidence (aura) that comes with being fit that we men also find attractive. Do a Google image search of "Spot me girl" or "she squats bro" and you will see just what we are talking about.

Fit/Strong is definitely the new sexy. I guarantee you that these women never have any problem in attracting men.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23...cb2fcc69f9.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...0969f27304.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/06Ol1hq.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...06704429_n.jpg

EDIT:
Also, as far as clothing is concerned and finding clothes that fit, that is completely off topic from the thread. Besides, everyone woman I know who is muscular loves how no matter what they wear their body shows.

Last edited by Chum Kiu; 02-20-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty