Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

I have been cutting my own for over 20 years. Wahl trimmer set. When I had more full head of hair it was 1 and 1/2" top and tapered lengths down to 1/8". As my hair has 'thinned out on top' I kept shortening length as the hair disappeared. Now down to 1/4" with number 2 (1/8") setting.

In youth, I never went to barber, as parents would cut it (poorly) but hey the 70s hair styles were so bad it still fit in. Then a fashionable steady handed sister did it for a while during college years.

I can do it easily with handmirror in one hand the clipper in my other hand and a wall mounted mirror.

Funny story. In Poland after two and half weeks travel I couldn't stand the shagginess so I actually went to a barbershop for first time in my life. I made a side profile drawing of my head with outline of cranium and approximate hair length in drawing. Handed it to the older women and simply said in Polish "Like this" turned out perfect. It was funny cause it was very hot late summer day, she had the metal hand clippers and did it proficiently- zip clip and done

So, I've never had a barber in America cut my hair - but I have had a Polish barber cut my hair! Just glad it wasn't the Polish version of Warner Brothers Loony Toon classic, Barber of Seville!

Bugs Bunny Barber - YouTube

Last edited by ciceropolo; 02-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: additional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times
I'm a man, and while my haircut is easy (just a uniform buzz with a trimmer), many barbers still screw it up... usually crooked sideburn trimming, or small patches of hair that are longer than anywhere else on my scalp. So I purchased a Wahl trimmer from Amazon, for like $40. Thought it would be difficult at first but it's quite easy with a handheld mirror.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I do it too at times. Just to trim the excessive bits.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
To all those saying they hate the cuts, etc. I wonder how much communication was said with the stylist. I feel like a lot of people are afraid to tell their stylist things like "I don't use product or blow dry my hair" or other important things a stylist needs to know.

I feel like I talk a LOT to my stylist, the past year or so, we changed my bangs because I've actually developed a cowlick on my widows peak! We talked about how hair changes, and the best cuts, etc. She suggested a "side bang" and then I found a picture of what I wanted, and she said based on how my hair was (thickness, length, etc), that the cut I wanted with the side bangs would work. And she was right.

To me, getting my hair done is a pampering thing I do for myself every 3-4 months. Costs me $35 with the tip, but it's how I treat myself.

I also think for women, it's harder to cut your own hair. My husband just buzzes his own hair and then I trim/even the back where the hairline is.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
My own cutting is mostly just me being impulsive..I decide at 11pm that I want bangs or face framing layers.. 11:01 I am searching for the scissors...Half the time I like what I do and the other times my very patient hairdresser fixes it LOL..

I used to sorta apologize for the attempt but not anymore..I am 50 something and it's just what I do !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM

254 posts, read 406,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
ROFL! You are braver than I am!
Think of it this way, hair is a renewable resource (and besides, that's what product is for )

Last edited by thesefourwalls; 02-17-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My own cutting is mostly just me being impulsive..I decide at 11pm that I want bangs or face framing layers.. 11:01 I am searching for the scissors...Half the time I like what I do and the other times my very patient hairdresser fixes it LOL..

I used to sorta apologize for the attempt but not anymore..I am 50 something and it's just what I do !!!
I've had to tell one of my clients at LEAST 2 times "One of us is going to have to stop cutting your hair, which one is it going to be?" She finally stopped, and now doesn't look like an Edward Scissorhands project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
Think of it this way, hair is a renewable resource (and besides, that's what product is for )

True, but there are a few things I will not do while drinking, driving is one and cutting on my own hair is another, lol!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
When my hair is short, I ALWAYS cut my own hair. Since I grew it out, I have it cut professionally at a cheap salon twice a year. I tell them exactly what I want and how i want it. Few times ago, I was really vague and she messed up my hair. I hated it for two solid months.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have not let a pair of scissors near my hair in over ten years nor would I ever cut my hair ever again . I dont trust anyone to cut my hair ..ten yrs ago a foolish hairdresser nipped and tucked too much and voila I had a very bad cut that took almost 6 months to grow out . Never again will I ever trust any hairdresser with my hair .

You'll never cut your hair again? So, what, you just let it grow like Rapunzel?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..
That's exactly the reason I became a hairdresser at 16. It's never really been my career, I mainly wanted to learn to cut, color, perm (in the old days) my own hair. Age 15, I went from waist length hair to a very short boy's cut... because my hairdresser completely misunderstood me. Between the language barrier & his huge ego, it's amazing I wasn't bald when I left. I'll never forget the feeling of icy cold shears across my neck... by then, it was too late to stop him. It took 1.5-yrs just to grow my hair to chin length & once grown back, I've kept it longer, in varying lengths/styles & cut/colored myself.

Years ago, when I tried again to have salon color, she completely ruined it by overlapping color (very sloppy, novice color application) & afterwards my hair was breaking off... & this wasn't a cheap salon.

There are good stylists out there, but for me, no one but me will ever touch my hair again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty