U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,719,411 times

Advertisements

When I was planning to go to school for psychology, I first got my cosmetology license so that I had a trade to put myself through college. I ended up not doing much with that license, but I did cut my own hair for many years, because, like so many others, I've been to hairdressers that didn't listen. With angles and mirrors, it's doable, but now I decided I like to sit in the chair and be pampered. Besides, doing your own foils as well, with hair as long as mine (approaching waist length) is a PITA. My fiance cuts his own hair now, and if he screws it up, I can fix it. The woman I go to likes my long hair and she's not about chopping it all off. A good hairdresser - who listens - is worth her weight in gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,949,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Oh the memories! My Mom cut mine and my sisters hair when we were kids too. I have her to thank for all those cringe worthy school pictures. The pixie haircuts with the dorky, super short, uneven bangs!

Then when I was in junior high I wanted long hair, so she forced me to get perms which she did herself. The rollers, those torture pin thingy's, the huge pink hair dryer you had to sit under , and the smell. And the perms never took on my hair, which was a blessing!

Thank God when I got in high school she didn't bother anymore.
Exactly the same in my family... are we cousins? My mum cut our hair so that we looked like something awful happened to us... my bangs would be 2" long AND crooked so I looked as if my forehead was 1-ft high... what was she thinking! And, yes, home perms... yikes! In the old days, they smelled like rotten eggs. My mum treated straight hair as if it were a disease... had my first perm at 3 & still remember crying as the rotten egg solution ran down my face & burned my scalp, with her yelling at me that it was my fault as my hair was straight & ugly. Then, we slept every night on giant, pink, plastic rollers or pincurls... no wonder my neck still hurts... haha.

I spent 1-hr every work day morning until I was 37, blow drying & curling my hair with an iron, until I realized all the $$ everyone spent for Chi ironing, Brazilian blowouts & straightenings to get their hair to look like mine did naturally. Haven't hot rolled or curling ironed it since, except on rare occasions... it's usually straight, straight, straight.

But, then I know the lucky curly-haired girls probably had mums who did the opposite & spent time straightening their hair.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

But, then I know the lucky curly-haired girls probably had mums who did the opposite & spent time straightening their hair.
During my teens ironing hair on an ironing board was the thing. !!!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Oh the memories! My Mom cut mine and my sisters hair when we were kids too. I have her to thank for all those cringe worthy school pictures. The pixie haircuts with the dorky, super short, uneven bangs!

Then when I was in junior high I wanted long hair, so she forced me to get perms which she did herself. The rollers, those torture pin thingy's, the huge pink hair dryer you had to sit under , and the smell. And the perms never took on my hair, which was a blessing!

Thank God when I got in high school she didn't bother anymore. Today I will cut my bangs, which are long, but I go to the salon and get the rest of my hair cut.

OMG - the perm rollers. We are long-lost siblings.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,675,530 times
When I was a kid, my mother cut my hair.
Now I cut my own hair, haven't been to a hairdresser since 1995.
I'm too frugal to pay for something I can do adequately for myself.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,150,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... I know I have strange wavy hair but I explain this to the hairdresser and that it curls very easily and has to be cut at a longer length than with straight hair........do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..

I cut & dye my own, have since forever..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM

22 posts, read 30,430 times
I used to but I no longer have the range of motion to do so. I had too many cuts where I came out and said "I could have cut it that bad myself". I started doing it and it actually was a better cut than what I had been paying for. Now I can't do it anymore but I keep the cut simple and hope for the best. I do cut my husbands hair. It took years of convincing that I could do what his barber did and do it for free.

That said, my dad was a beautician and I paid attention so I wasn't clueless about the whole thing.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 AM

5 posts, read 3,486 times
I cant cut my hair myself it is a very difficult job.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM

125 posts, read 203,993 times
I just cut mine myself the other day for the third time now, I must be getting better at it cause I really like the way it turned out. It's only because of the money that I started doing it myself. I would rather give my hairdresser the business, but it's just not in the budget, even at her reasonable prices.

There are youtube videos that show how to get a layered cut using the ponytail on top of the head technique that I remembered girls doing in junior high. I watched a few and figured I had nothing to lose, I modified their technique a little and it turned out perfectly fine.

I've been coloring it at home for ages and thinking of growing out my natural color to see what it looks like and how much gray is really there. I switched back to a semipermanent color to that end.

Funny to read your stories especially about your moms when you were little :-)

Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
I came looking for this thread. The person who has been cutting my hair for years just got married and moved to another state. I have been looking around to see who has hair that looks like a cut I would want. You could almost convince me that everybody cuts their own hair.

So I walked into a hair cutting place and asked for one of those style books and found ONE style in the entire book that I would even consider. I showed it to the girl and told her not to worry about getting it too short because my hair grows fast and she got it exactly like the picture.

But my question is: "Why do so many women go around looking like they don't own a comb or brush and look like they just got out of bed." I have never noticed so many ratty looking hair styles. Most of you would look a lot better if you had better tastes in hair styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or