Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

Guys that cut their own hair look like they cut their own hair 99% of the time. Terrible lines around the ears, no taper or square in the back, random stray hairs that are longer than others. I can afford $20 for a haircut every 2 or 3 months like most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 AM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Guys that cut their own hair look like they cut their own hair 99% of the time. Terrible lines around the ears, no taper or square in the back, random stray hairs that are longer than others. I can afford $20 for a haircut every 2 or 3 months like most people.
I bought my first pair of clippers when I was 17. 16 years later, I'm still cutting my own hair, once every other week.
It's not a buzz either. I scissor the top how I like and taper down from size 8 to 2 on the sides and back. I line myself up as well.
I've gotten so good at it, I don't even need a mirror to do the back anymore. Takes 15 minutes max. It's not a shabby job either. When I tell people I cut my own hair, they don't believe me.

Apparently I have saved 8,320 dollars doing this, based on a 20 dollar haircut every other week for 16 years, minus the cost of a new pair of clippers every year or so. (Assuming I didn't mung up the calculation)

Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 AM

120 posts, read 212,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... I know I have strange wavy hair but I explain this to the hairdresser and that it curls very easily and has to be cut at a longer length than with straight hair........do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..
I cut my own hair, and I do it completely out of distrust to the hairdressers where I live. I have been to many hairdressers around here, paid between $20 to $50, all awful. I trim it the way I like it at home. The thing is I have coarse, thick hair so small mistakes do not show.

However, once year, when I go back to my home country in Europe, I shell out good money, get a nice haircut and highlights. It is a guy that I have been to many years and love the way he cuts my hair. I wish I could take him to the States with me.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
I trust my hairdresser way more than I trust myself. I wouldn't even dream of cutting my own hair.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Yep, I just brush it out, grab it between my index ringers and middle finger, stretch it to my tailbone, bring it around front and hack off the bottom, then rinse and repeat a few times for a nice straight edge.
It was a lot easier to do when it was mid thigh length, but that was way to hippie so I cut it to the tailbone length about four years ago.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I trim my own bangs in a pinch, but other than that, no way. Paying a trained stylist is money well spent, for me.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
When I was going through a financial bad patch, I cut my own hair for about 4 years. My hair is very wavy-to-curly, depending on the weather, and I could pretty easily do a layered reverse angled bob by combing it, wet, straight back into a big clip and then cutting off everything beyond the clip. Then I would do the face frame with more precision, and check through for a few odd lengths here and there and snip to fit. The texture of my hair hid small mistakes and the method avoided big ones.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 AM

313 posts, read 496,989 times
I cut my own hair. I have long wavy hair, but I've also cut my hair short and shaved all by myself. You just need 2-3 mirrors so you can have a 360 view of your head. It's really simple. I just use youtube hair cutting videos as guidance.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I can't even imagine trying to cut my own hair. I am sure the results would be comical. LOL. I have a friend that cuts his own, though.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
As someone who cuts it himself front to back with a #2 clip (I simplified my hairstyle for this specific reason), I have to say this is true but I work from home and don't really care. It's only $7 at the local barber who can get the lines right, but it's also a hassle going back and forth. I do it in the comfort of my own bathroom in 15 minutes and jump right in the shower. I do my kids' too... lots of money & TIME saved.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-17-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty