Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
It's mostly about the aura, I think. I used to work with a woman that was kind of plain faced and had maybe what would be considered an "average" body, at best, for a woman around 30. She also seemed a bit on the quiet side. Yet, she carried herself with a lot of confidence and had this aura about her, and men would fall all over her.

Similarly, back in college, I dated a very pretty young woman, but she had one of those "light up the room" smiles and men would just flock to her when she started flashing it about. Didn't have a great body, but was very outgoing and had a pretty face.

Also, I used to work with another young woman that had a killer body - she worked on weekends in NYC as a bikini model - and luxurious long dark, curly hair. Yet, she didn't have that aura/air of confidence about her at all - guys would look her way and note the great figure, but not really be drawn to her.
Hmm...granted, as a woman, I don't have a lot of insight into this, but it's really hard for me to imagine this...a plain, dumpy woman that's seen as sexy, and a gorgeous model that isn't....From my limited female perspective, I've always thought it's enough to be physically attractive to be considered sexy by men. I feel like a beautiful woman would be considered sexy whether she's overtly 'sexual' or, the opposite, modest and conservative (the beauty would be seen underneath this and give her a 'sexy librarian' vibe). Whereas, on the contrary, a very unattractive, overweight woman would either be seen as dumpy and matronly, or trashy and laughable; either way, not sexy. I'd like to see a picture of a non-attractive woman that men would consider sexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
From my limited female perspective, I've always thought it's enough to be physically attractive to be considered sexy by men. I feel like a beautiful woman would be considered sexy whether she's overtly 'sexual' or, the opposite, modest and conservative (the beauty would be seen underneath this and give her a 'sexy librarian' vibe).
Only shallow, unworthy men feel this way to exclusion. Sure, physical attractiveness is a bonus, but there's undoubtedly a mental component to any lasting and monogamous relationship. While my wife would be considered by most a fairly beautiful woman, it is her non-physical traits that really endow her with a precious uniqueness. Incidentally, it was those factors that motivated me to propose marriage. If I had just wanted to get laid, finding women as shallow as their male counterparts would've required little effort and yielded a hollow existence... at least for me.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I think a couple faces would do it alone... Scarlett Jo or Camilla Luddington. I do agree that behavioral alone could make someone extremely desirable, but that's not the definition of sexy imo.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Face in and of itself (feature wise) does not connote 'sexy' IMO. However, a women by her facial countenance, demeanor, body comportment / deportment, and personality 'aura' a la, facial expressions (body language) can be 'sexy'. I like when a recent post dovetails well with a conversation see this one:

How do you define?

So much of 'sexy' in print ads is goaded out of models by photographers to capture standard anthropological body language cues for gaining physical attention. Think critically next time you see some model on a mag cover as you go through check out line at the local store. The slight head down tilt eyes up, the askance look, the allure look, the don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful look, the angelic winsome look, the serendipitous yearning look, the glamour look, the posed stances et. al.

Simply picture yourself as the photographer sometime, and think of what he /she said to the model to illicit the look that was chosen to entice you with facial expressions to portray 'sexy'. There's something innately freeing about putting yourself in position of the photographer and realize how they are trying to use / entice the viewer. Then ask yourself how much airbrushing and how creatively posed (and made up) they are to accentuate different features.

Sexy tends to be holistic to the perceiver IMO (hence the aura) and has that strange dynamic of showing it isn't just physical appearance. I've met some initially physically beautiful people who upon close inspection / interaction were far from sexy (wooden / attitude vibe issues etc...) -[I'm reminded of that line in Meredith Wilson's, The Music Man, in Pick a Little Talk A Little that goes... just melt her down and you'll reveal / a lump of lead as cold as steel ] and those who many would initially on appearance seem indifferent (in a static sense) but, when upon observing and interaction were very 'sexy'. Also, 'sexy' tends to grow on the perceiver IMO. It's many intangibles together, so for a face (back to OPs question) the closest thing I can think of, it can be things like 'the eyes' sort of like bedroom eyes or a gleam in women's eyes, or subtle facial expressions.

Sometimes the right person can make someone 'sexy' in a way. Ever notice a woman who seems distant but once she gets a man she cares for in her life how she somehow can transform somewhat? There's something to that whole being desired part the energized 'vibe' of love, that can at times make someone a bit sexy to others.

Its also the same reason often times women will perceive a man as more 'desirable / sexy', if they see him talking / interacting and in presence of other women. Perceptions a funny thing.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Hmm...granted, as a woman, I don't have a lot of insight into this, but it's really hard for me to imagine this...a plain, dumpy woman that's seen as sexy, and a gorgeous model that isn't....From my limited female perspective, I've always thought it's enough to be physically attractive to be considered sexy by men. I feel like a beautiful woman would be considered sexy whether she's overtly 'sexual' or, the opposite, modest and conservative (the beauty would be seen underneath this and give her a 'sexy librarian' vibe). Whereas, on the contrary, a very unattractive, overweight woman would either be seen as dumpy and matronly, or trashy and laughable; either way, not sexy. I'd like to see a picture of a non-attractive woman that men would consider sexy.

There is the concept of a cold fish.

Or we can just use the example of Gwyneth Paltrow. Lots of people think she is attractive. Sexy? Not so much.

sexy ≠ attractive. It is more like a venn diagram:
Attached Thumbnails
Does "Sexy" Also Apply to the Face, or Mainly the Body (or Aura)?-diagram.png  

Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is the concept of a cold fish.

Or we can just use the example of Gwyneth Paltrow. Lots of people think she is attractive. Sexy? Not so much.

sexy ≠ attractive. It is more like a venn diagram:
Again, I think it depends.
Some men like that mysterious, slightly unapproachable ice queen vibe, and find it sexy - chasing that kind of woman and winning her over, some men are really into that (although less nowadays). Others prefer the much more obvious, overt sexuality. Much of it is very cultural too. Think about it - 'sexy' in the Victorian times was very different than what it is now. Men in ancient China found the bound female foot shape incredibly sexy, it was considered the sexiest part of the body. In tribes where women walk around topless, breasts are probably not considered particularly sexual. Etc.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Not exactly, someone could ne good looking or handsome or attractive and have zero sex appeal. It has a lot to do with personality/aura/interactions, to push that person from being merely attractive to sexy.
I agree. I've known plenty of women who were great to look at, but then they went clomping away, or said something grossly disrespectful, and suddenly they were no better than average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
There are no sexy faces, but there are sexy bodies.
Umm...what?
Quote:
Not exactly. Sex appeal related to a face usually gas something to do with their expression. A sly smile .... Twinkle in your eyes ...
Again, I agree. I've seen women who were marginally attractive but then they threw a certain smile or look my way and became beautiful. How a woman moves, carries herself, responds, communicates, etc., can be more important than their physical appearance, and is a much bigger component of sexy.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
To myself, it applies more to the face than the body, especially with regards to the type of facial expression worn, which is of course a reflection of the personality within.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
I think there's a certain combination of eyes, full lips, skin, and maybe hair needed for a woman to have a sexy face. But a sexy face isn't required to be sexy, for either women or men. Not going to name any buttafaces and instead will give a male example. Bradley Cooper's face is slightly goofy, yet his build, clothes, etc. make him sexy to many women.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM

255 posts, read 407,104 times
More than likely it is the face because most people I know don't care about the body unless they like the face. So it doesn't really matter how much a person works out or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty