Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,689,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, I am a woman. I am far larger than an A cup. Personally, I think bras are nothing more than a money maker for businesses. Corsets used to be trendy for women to wear and many died wearing them. No thanks. I'd much rather the ladies be free to roam.
Corsets are still trendy-- check out etsy. Unlike the days of yesteryear, corsets are now made to fit a woman's body properly than pinch in her internal organs. I'd say spanx is trendier than corsets, and spanx also move around your internal organs. No one really seems to have a complaint about that if it makes them look slimmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 AM

592 posts, read 801,118 times
Can we get some photographic evidence?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,492,411 times
When I married my wife 22 years ago she was a 44-DD. Now she's a 44 long.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:56 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,492,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
With all these years of viewing National Geographic magazines it seems to me that the tribal gals who don't wear bras get pretty droopy, but the western gals who do wear bras seem to keep their shape for a lot longer...that's just my observation.
Oh man, Nat Geo, the precursor to Playboy back in the 60's! wooHoo!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
The underlying muscles that can help support breast tissue don't get a work out just by not wearing a bra. But some easy exercises with hand-held weights work wonders. Still, size is a huge factor, no pun intended. On one horse forum we had an entire thread with pages and pages of entries on how to "anchor" breasts to make riding more comfortable.

No one I know who is above a B-cup is going to buy it. Not to mention the neater appearance achieved by correct undergarments.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,459,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
False or not I prefer a bra in public and when we have guests in our home otherwise the bra stays in the drawer.
I don't wear shoes unless I'm in public either though, does that mean my feet are going to sag sooner?
Physics wasn't your strongest subject, right?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,404,580 times
Ick. I know a 60 yr old woman with extremely saggy small breasts (in fact, they look really odd even for someone her age) who never wears a bra. They sit almost on her waistline-I'm not exaggerating. Sometimes she wears a t-shirt under her outer shirt . But jeez, it jut makes her look like she doesn't take care of herself. She would look so much younger if she would just put on a bra.

I know it's her business, but sometimes she gives the impression of being destitute.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM

4,715 posts, read 5,940,752 times
based on anecdotal evidence accumulated over the years, I would say this is false. Maybe if the woman wore an ill-fitting bra over time, it might be worse?

To be specific, I have an ex that had really large boobs, and she wore well fitted bras all the time. (In case you're wondering how big, family members would joke that she was adopted from Dolly Parton...) Even when she took her bra off, her large breasts still stayed nice and firm, barely affected by gravity. She was one of those that other women would say, "I want her boobs!" if they were thinking of implants, or else women would think she had fake ones already. Maybe she had really good genes? But, this woman's mom grew up in the "burn your bra" era of the late 60s and early 70s and rarely wore them for years... she also has large breasts, but they were really saggy. (the father's side of the family was slender & more flat chested.)

And, if you say, "well, she was young at the time, maybe she'll be saggy like her mom when she gets older?" I'd respond by saying that I ran into her last year after not seeing her for 12-13 years, and they still stood out and defied gravity, despite her having children now. Lucky her, I guess?

I've noticed this with a few women over the years, though.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,689,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
based on anecdotal evidence accumulated over the years, I would say this is false. Maybe if the woman wore an ill-fitting bra over time, it might be worse?

To be specific, I have an ex that had really large boobs, and she wore well fitted bras all the time. (In case you're wondering how big, family members would joke that she was adopted from Dolly Parton...) Even when she took her bra off, her large breasts still stayed nice and firm, barely affected by gravity. She was one of those that other women would say, "I want her boobs!" if they were thinking of implants, or else women would think she had fake ones already. Maybe she had really good genes? But, this woman's mom grew up in the "burn your bra" era of the late 60s and early 70s and rarely wore them for years... she also has large breasts, but they were really saggy. (the father's side of the family was slender & more flat chested.)

And, if you say, "well, she was young at the time, maybe she'll be saggy like her mom when she gets older?" I'd respond by saying that I ran into her last year after not seeing her for 12-13 years, and they still stood out and defied gravity, despite her having children now. Lucky her, I guess?

I've noticed this with a few women over the years, though.
It's genetics, then. I mean, I wish I could say the same for myself but it's not. If a woman has had issues with her weight or related health problems, I don't think she'd be able to get away without a bra.

Here's what I don't understand-- why are people SO invested in what someone else chooses not to wear underneath their clothes? If they don't "belong" to you in any way, why are people so concerned? This is getting as absurd as the makeup thread. If most women didn't wear a bra, then we'd get complaints about how awful and saggy they all were. Not every fit woman has perky breasts, and a lot of women who haven't been pregnant have sag.

For the record, it's actually a myth that women burned their bras back then or that there was a movement regarding it. I think people heard the draft card burning and got caught up in the wave of the '60's

snopes.com: Feminist Bra Burning

Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
Seriously. I forgot my sports bra yesterday when I went to the gym and had to wear my regular one... I had to cut my cardio in half because it was too painful to run. Even lifting weights got annoying so I had to switch things up and focus on core/legs instead of arms/back. Stupid boobs.
Maybe if you didn't wear a bra since puberty you would have stronger boobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty