Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I don't think it is anything necessarily intrinsic but related to sun exposure. Given the same amount of exposure I think darker skinned people may fair better. But UV exposure no matter how much melanin still damages collagen. I have seen plenty of dark skinned people with lines on their face and I have seen plenty of fair skinned people who look absolutely flawless - and this is probably related to exposure more than anything.

Think of it like this - fair-skinned people not only have a disadvantage regarding the amount of sun exposure they can endure but then they also seemingly intentionally spend more time in the sun. Those two factors right there will increase the visible damage. Left alone there would not be any difference in my opinion.

Also, don't go by pro-photos of celebs who have professional make-up artists (emphasis on artist).
Yeah, I'd say that's it. I have a good friend (white female) who has never spent time in the sun, never cared for the pool or tanning because he skin was too pale and would burn, and now at age 47, she has no wrinkles. And I've seen older black people who had jobs where they worked in the sun most of their lives, and they have lots of wrinkles. Most black people don't lay out in the sun to try and get darker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I'd say that's it. I have a good friend (white female) who has never spent time in the sun, never cared for the pool or tanning because he skin was too pale and would burn, and now at age 47, she has no wrinkles. And I've seen older black people who had jobs where they worked in the sun most of their lives, and they have lots of wrinkles. Most black people don't lay out in the sun to try and get darker.
Wrinkles can be caused by your diet not just from the sun. Sun in general in excessive amounts is bad regardless what those tanners say.

Salty foods is bad for the skin.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But Vitamin D deficiency is very harmful.

One only needs 15 min a day with bare skin exposure to receive the daily does of vit D...

Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
One only needs 15 min a day with bare skin exposure to receive the daily does of vit D...
Which still may just not be enough. I have to take 100,000 IUs per week.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Wrinkles can be caused by your diet not just from the sun. Sun in general in excessive amounts is bad regardless what those tanners say.

Salty foods is bad for the skin.
True about diet. My skin looks good considering the time I spent in the sun when I was a teenager, but I LOVE my fresh fruit and veggies! I hadn't heard that about salt, but it makes sense.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,501 times
I have not noticed that black women age better than white women. White women in general don't age particularly well so maybe that's what you're noticing.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I saw a calculator on the amount of sun exposure you needed based on skin tone (and location) to get your vitamin D. Mine worked out to be like 4 hours a day. Which is obviously improbable.

http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/...quartMED.html*

Obviously this calculator is making some skin tone assumptions, but it is pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Which still may just not be enough. I have to take 100,000 IUs per week.
Wow! That is loads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
They said the same when I went in. I think they must have just started testing for this recently. I'm sure Vit D sales are at a record high.
I think so too! I ended up having to do an 8 week 50,000 IU stint.

It is also good to note, no everyone absorbs it easily.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,819,671 times
I don't think this is a white/black thing. I have seen both black women and white women that have aged good and some that haven't. It is more genetics and lifestyle (drinking, smoking, drugs, healthy eating, stress, skin care, sun exposure, exercise) then anything else.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM

378 posts, read 704,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This is pretty true as well, I remember something on television about Cullen Jones (an African American Olympic Swimmer) who did some outreach to the African American community in regards to this issue of getting them involved in and learning how to swim. I was amazed at how many African Americans don't know how to swim. It is one thing not to swim but not knowing - that blew me away. For me, as a kid, swimming was a big part of my life whether in a pool, beach, rivers, whatever and all kinds of water sports (I guess it is just part of 'white culture') . And I probably learned to swim at a very young age because I don't even remember learning. I did not know one kid or parent that did not or could not swim.

And another thing about water sports is that the sun intensifies when it reflects of the surface of water and if you are constantly in chlorinated water I am sure that aint good for your dermis.
When I was a kid in inner city LA, they brought a pool to us for summer. Most of the kids in my predominately black summer day school took swimming lessons. I actually can swim, but when it was time to take the tests we could either float or tread. I floated. Therefore I cannot tread water. I can swim from here to Hawaii as long as I don't stop to tread water, then I'm going down I also spent most of my youth living by the beach so I was always there (and am a beach woman). I get my hair wet and I don't care.

As far as aging. I have aged very well. At 41 I don't have one wrinkle and I usually get carded (sometimes more than my 20 something friends). But I don't follow a particular diet and I do love the sun (but I don't tan and I usually wear sunscreen). I thank my mom for her great genes. She had a young look to her too. So even though some is diet, sun exposure, etc., genes come into play as well.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,704 times
My derm told me recently that the worst skin he sees in his practice is Irish skin. Be it from the parental generations of smokers and drinkers and their offspring staying too long in the American sun. Or just genetic traits. And yes, he's Irish and proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty