Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
The sun a killer...
Sun Scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This is pretty true as well, I remember something on television about Cullen Jones (an African American Olympic Swimmer) who did some outreach to the African American community in regards to this issue of getting them involved in and learning how to swim. I was amazed at how many African Americans don't know how to swim. It is one thing not to swim but not knowing - that blew me away. For me, as a kid, swimming was a big part of my life whether in a pool, beach, rivers, whatever and all kinds of water sports (I guess it is just part of 'white culture') . And I probably learned to swim at a very young age because I don't even remember learning. I did not know one kid or parent that did not or could not swim.

And another thing about water sports is that the sun intensifies when it reflects of the surface of water and if you are constantly in chlorinated water I am sure that aint good for your dermis.
Quote:
Sun Scary!
I do know how to swim. My sister doesn't. But my parents were pretty hesitant about letting us go out to the pool at times. Even though we had some friends who were trained lifeguards.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Avoid the sun = problem solved.
But Vitamin D deficiency is very harmful.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Sun Scary!
Lack of sun is scary.

Vitamin D is important for bone health, mental health. Dark skin blocks the sun and inhibits Vitamin D production -- darker skinned people need more sun than lighter skinned people.

Lack of Vitamin D May Explain Black Americans' Cancer Deaths | LiveScience

The researchers' theory is that, in northern latitudes, the dark skin of African-Americans cannot absorb enough sunlight to generate adequate amounts of vitamin D, which is often called the "sunshine vitamin." The body uses ultraviolet rays from the sun to manufacture vitamin D in the inner layers of the skin.

Vitamin D is needed for strong bones; doctors nearly 100 years ago associated a lack of adequate sun exposure with rickets among child laborers, exemplified by bowed legs. Recent studies also have shown that low levels of vitamin D in the blood seem to contribute to a weak immune system and a host of diseases, such as cancer and multiple sclerosis. [Infographic: The Power of Vitamin D]

Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Lack of sun is scary.

Vitamin D is important for bone health, mental health. Dark skin blocks the sun and inhibits Vitamin D production -- darker skinned people need more sun than lighter skinned people.

The researchers' theory is that, in northern latitudes, the dark skin of African-Americans cannot absorb enough sunlight to generate adequate amounts of vitamin D, which is often called the "sunshine vitamin." The body uses ultraviolet rays from the sun to manufacture vitamin D in the inner layers of the skin.

Vitamin D is needed for strong bones; doctors nearly 100 years ago associated a lack of adequate sun exposure with rickets among child laborers, exemplified by bowed legs. Recent studies also have shown that low levels of vitamin D in the blood seem to contribute to a weak immune system and a host of diseases, such as cancer and multiple sclerosis. [Infographic: The Power of Vitamin D]
A few years ago I was seriously deficient in vitamin d and I had to go on a 2 month intensive dose. Now my doctor prescribed me to take 2000iu daily.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Lack of sun is scary.

Yes I know, my comment was tongue in cheek.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Dark skin blocks the sun and inhibits Vitamin D production -- darker skinned people need more sun than lighter skinned people.
This point, which is presumed by that article, is not actually true. Melanin in the skin has not actually been found to block vitamin D production. That's often parroted as an "everybody knows" kind of factoid, butno real tests have borne that out. By the same token, anything that blocks UV rays should have the same effect...which it doesn't.

Actual studies indicate that skin pigmentation is not the reason for vitamin D deficiencies:

Quote:
Some research shows that dark-skinned people living in temperate climates have lower vitamin D levels.[70][71][71] It has been suggested that dark-skinned people are less efficient at making vitamin D because melanin in the skin hinders vitamin D synthesis; however, a recent study has found novel evidence that low vitamin D levels among Africans may be due to other reasons.[72] Recent evidence implicates parathyroid hormone in adverse cardiovascular outcomes. Black women have an increase in serum PTH at a lower 25(OH)D level than white women.[73] A large scale association study of the genetic determinants of vitamin D insufficiency in Caucasians found no links to pigmentation.[74][75]
On the other hand, the uniform occurrence of low serum 25(OH)D in Indians living in India[76] and Chinese in China,[77] does not support the hypothesis that the low levels seen in the more pigmented are due to lack of synthesis from the sun at higher latitudes. The leader of the study has urged dark-skinned immigrants to take vitamin D supplements nonetheless, saying, "I see no risk, no downside, there's only a potential benefit
In the US, a vitamin D deficiency is a matter of a deficient diet, because the vitamin is readily available in common sources. When I was a kid in the 50s, my mother made us take cod liver oil in the winter...which was certainly not the most pleasant way to take it, but we didn't have GNC stores back then, and it wasn't yet a milk additive in our area.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Asian women age the worst.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'm oily and dark....hooray, LOL!

Generally speaking, black women age better when comparing women of similar socio-economic status, lifestyle habits etc. White women that live "clean" (no smoking, minimal drinking) age pretty well, though.
Good points. Every group of people out there have their own issues with respect to age. Some undesirable things occur with age that are outside of race per se and are found sub groups of all the races; White, Black, Middle Eastern, Indian or mixed people can all have dark moles, dark circles around their eyes, or other features that ad to age affects.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A few years ago I was seriously deficient in vitamin d and I had to go on a 2 month intensive dose. Now my doctor prescribed me to take 2000iu daily.
They said the same when I went in. I think they must have just started testing for this recently. I'm sure Vit D sales are at a record high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty