Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM

277 posts, read 504,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the aging process has a lot to do with the sort of life we have lived and the amount of trauma we have endured.
That's partly true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
You're being silly. Black skin is unique just as their hair. It's darker, thicker, prone to scarring, resistant to sun damage, oilier. Melanin doesn't have anything to do with aging but it does protect against sun damage.
Please read more carefully, I said in regard to other skin factors that have nothing to do with melanin - which give the color of the skin. So my point is not about 'black' or any other color of the skin but in regard to things mentioned like oiliness or thickness, etc.

Please cite the peer reviewed articles that say that Black skin is oilier than a white persons. And I don't mean something like 60% vs 40% because the OP is making a very broad statement about black people, black woman specifically, as if there is something unique about their skin. White people have oily skin and thick skin as well. It is not a unique feature of black skin.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Please read more carefully, I said in regard to other skin factors that have nothing to do with melanin - which give the color of the skin. So my point is not about 'black' or any other color of the skin but in regard to things mentioned like oiliness or thickness, etc.

Please cite the peer reviewed articles that say that Black skin is oilier than a white persons. And I don't mean something like 60% vs 40% because the OP is making a very broad statement about black people, black woman specifically, as if there is something unique about their skin. White people have oily skin and thick skin as well. It is not a unique feature of black skin.
I already read what you wrote and you're being silly and repeating the same thing.

1. Black skin is unique. It's the darkest of all skin, the thickest of all skin, and the most prone to scarring than all skin.

2. On Average black skin is oilier. That's a hard core fact.

3. White people don't have thick skin. 100% of white people have very very thin skin to the point that they almost don't have any or it's too thin for necessary protection.

4. Oily skin and thick skin is a unique feature of black skin. No one thinks white when you say "thick oily" skin.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,223,481 times
Quote:
This is very true. Giving birth does something to a woman's beauty and youthfulness and it's not pretty.
That is just ridiculous.

I think much of this thread is mere opinion and not scientific fact.

As far as myself, I am a white woman and I stay out of the sun, do not smoke or drink. I look more youthful now at 40 than I did in my twenties. How is that possible? Stress. My life was full of stress in my twenties, and not so much now.

I have seen some beautiful women who are mothers and grandmothers, whether they have wrinkles and no matter what color they are. Of course, this is my opinion, and obviously not a scientific fact.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
I already read what you wrote and you're being silly and repeating the same thing.
Where did I say it was not the darkest? And I never mentioned anything about scarring.

Quote:
1. Black skin is unique. It's the darkest of all skin, the thickest of all skin, and the most prone to scarring than all skin.
As to thickness - where are the studies that thick skin (I would also like to know the line between thick and thin being used in this study) is a unique feature of black people. This was your first response not that they have the thickest which is now your wording.

Quote:
2. On Average black skin is oilier. That's a hard core fact.
I did not say on average - you said unique. On average does not mean anything when someone says that black people age better and one of the reasons is that they have oilier skin. Well even if the average is true there would be millions of white people that don't age worse because of this feature since they to have oily skin. Again what is considered oily and not oily?

Quote:
3. White people don't have thick skin. 100% of white people have very very thin skin to the point that they almost don't have any or it's too thin for necessary protection.
Again, I have said nothing in regard to this feature. But since you brought it up - you are sounding as the silly one with statements like this - they almost don't have any skin. Really, white people's skin is so thin that they almost don't have any - I would like to see that study please.

Quote:
4. Oily skin and thick skin is a unique feature of black skin. No one thinks white when you say "thick oily" skin.
Does not matter what people think but only the facts. Again you use the word 'unique' in one place and on average in #2 - you can't even be consistent with your terms. And you have yet to even define these things (oily and thick).

Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Does it really matter at the end of the day?
Some of us have wrinkles, some have crows' feet, men always have laugh lines btw. Give me two days of real work and home stress and the mirror starts having wrinkles. Give me two days of good living and being happy and you cannot tell the time I spent on sail boats, motorcycles or in high mountains.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,088,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

Yet again with the complete ignorance of what a cite is.

HELLOOOOOO!
This is not rocket science.

I agree with you. You're getting ignorant and uninformed responses from ignorant and uninformed sources. And so it goes, on and on.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,151,395 times
I think Asian women age the least of all.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,686,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
That is just ridiculous.

That's what I'm seeing, too. I'm not sure why anecdotes are holding more water than facts.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
That is just ridiculous.

The thread compose of opinion and fact. Black skin is thicker, oilier, more resistant to sun damage, of course darker, more prone to scarring are all facts. Black skin not wrinkling as quickly as pale or light skin is also fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty