U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 07:01 PM

4,279 posts, read 3,288,620 times

Advertisements

Well, lately I've been doing some reading and, although I honestly do not even know how to draw or sew, I was wondering about maybe trying to go into freelance fashion design. How exactly would I go about this? I know it would only be a hobby, and it's possible I wouldn't even make anything off of it, but what would I need to do if I wanted to pursue this, maybe to, if nothing else, get out of the house and socialize with men and women who have a similar passion for art. Yes, first I would have to go to school for it, and, to my knowledge, there are no fashion schools in this area. What would you suggest? Be realistic, but also try to play the part of an optimist.

Here are some of my ideas:

Learn how to sketch out ideas. Practice drawing proportionally correct figures, or get software to help with this.
Learn how to sew using a pattern.
Look for a group to join. Where on earth would I find that?
Learn how to design your own patterns. Again, I'm assuming there is probably a computer program for this.
Sew samples using your own patterns, preferably in a size you can wear, in case nothing happens.
Start a website advertising your designs to companies. How would I know how to get on the companies' radar?

If nothing else:

Take a jewelry and accessories design course. Sell homemade jewelry and accessories online.

I badly need a hobby that helps me get out of the house and socialize with other women my own age; I'm into art, and fashion sounded like a fun way to maybe make a little money, have fun, and maybe even build a tiny reputation.

Last edited by krmb; 02-27-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

635 posts, read 953,191 times
Hmm... I guess it depends on how serious you plan to get. I wouldn't expect you to go get a degree in order to support a hobby unless you have plenty of time and money on your hands. My local art school (which is not particularly highly-ranked but does appear to have some interesting classes and accomplished faculty) has one or two fashion classes in its continuing education division. You can also take basic drawing, and things like (as you mention) jewelry design and fiber arts.

If this is only going to be a hobby you might consider basic drawing, and life drawing (to get a sense of anatomy.) I wouldn't go so far as taking a true anatomy class for your particular goals, although many artists do take such a class, or an easier and more limited "anatomy for artists" class.

If classes in fashion are limited, buy books, spend a lot of time looking at fashion magazines, etc.. See if any basic sewing classes are offered (sometimes these are offered by individuals) and also pay attention to the construction of your own clothes.

You could start by trying to sell on etsy. You might also try meetup.com to meet like-minded people. If you developed a collection, you might also start trying to sell at local craft shows, etc..

If you have truly never sewn before, you might want to buy a pattern and fabric and attempt to make something in order to get a better understanding of how items are pieced together. (I see you wrote that but I initially overlooked it - so we're both independently thinking the same thing which might mean it's a useful idea.)

Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,315,626 times
Check out the classes offered by your local community colleges. Ours has fashion design (AA or certificate program) and quite a variety of classes pertaining to this field.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Learning how to sew sounds like a good place to start, and I might be able to find enough information on the internet. I took a basic sewing class in home economics when I was in middle school, but I probably need a thorough refresher course. I could also check out the craft shops, because sometimes they offer classes. Learning how to sew using patterns, though, is only a start.

While I'm learning how to sew, though, I would need to start picking up how to design my own patterns, and, well, that seems infinitely more difficult than sewing with a pattern. In fact, when it comes to drafting patterns of my own, I wouldn't know where or how to start.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,571,964 times
The big fabric store in my area has a buttload of classes that a person can sign up for (they are also a major sewing machine seller). They range from putting in a zipper to how to sew difficult fabrics, to making period costumes (Civil War re-enactors, etc.), how to fit trousers properly, home decor sewing, and more. See if any of those are offered at your local fabric store. If the store doesn't have them, the high-end sewing machine shops might, or they may have the contact info for people who can tutor you. Also, your local library will probably be an invaluable resource for books on the basic how-to information.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:44 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,934,062 times
Sounds like you have good ideas already.

I suggest starting with altering existing clothing. Buy some thrift store stuff & "upcycle" it. That can help you get familiar with the construction of clothes. Checking out street fashion blogs is a good way to find DIY tips, as many of those girls like to alter stuff.

I enjoy drawing from magazine photos, especially high fashion magazines. Get some anatomy books too; knowing the human anatomy is very useful to drawing good figures, especially if you want to show movement at all.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 AM

Does anyone know if I would need to submit a portfolio for an entry-level fashion class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty