Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

I rather see somebody overdressed then in pajamas.

Some women are butt ugly without make up. I rather see them with all their paint in the face as without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A friend of my wife is always glamorous. She never leaves the house unless she is dressed and made up like she is appearing at the Academy Awards. Heavy Makeup, eye shadow, her hair done just right, fancy EXPENSIVE shoes, clothes and the whole thing. She is never casual, always glamorous and dressed like a movie star. Even on weekends and Holidays.

Seems like a lot of work, but BOY! does she look good!

Can you relate? Observations about people like this?
If it's an all-the-time thing then they're self-involved, vain and yet insecure. Their self-concept is all wrapped up in looking that way. She's probably also doing it mostly for other women. Pathetic. I've never met a woman of that kind that I wanted to spend more then 2 minutes with, regardless of how great she looked.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:58 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
If that's what makes her feel good, I don't have a problem with it.
I actually find it annoying in todays thinking, if you're out in dirty pajamas its taken as a sign of self confidence and you're supposed to respect their freedom to wear what they want etc. But people who are always immaculately put together are judged for being insecure, vain, self-absorbed etc. Total double standard. Since when did taking pride in your appearance become laughable? Also believe it or not some women just genuinely enjoy that stuff. They're not doing it for anyone, they just have fun with makeup and shopping and dressing up. It starts all the way from little girls liking to play dress up. I know that I love it but being a sahm in a very casual region, I dont get a chance to dress the way I really want; I fantasize about living a lifestyle where I could actually pull off looking glamorous all the time.

That said, there needs to be a middle ground. It's all about looking appropriate. I never leave the house without light makeup, brushed hair and well-fitting, attractive clothing. However its always appropriate to what I'm doing - so as the sahm of a young child I wear a lot of jeans and flats and yoga wear on occasion, but its always well fitting and flattering. Wearing a cocktail dress or business suit and heels to playground would be ridiculous, and these types women who are always overdressed regardless of practical considerations or appropriateness do come off looking silly and out of touch with reality

Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Observations about people like this?
I wish there were more people like that.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
A friend of my wife is always glamorous. She never leaves the house unless she is dressed and made up like she is appearing at the Academy Awards. Heavy Makeup, eye shadow, her hair done just right, fancy EXPENSIVE shoes, clothes and the whole thing. She is never casual, always glamorous and dressed like a movie star. Even on weekends and Holidays.

I'd rather see people do this, than look like 95% of the people that are shopping at WalMart.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM

686 posts, read 1,230,653 times
Quote:

I know a lot of women like that. Most of them are eastern European or Persian. Its just standard and normal for them to be that way. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. In fact, I actually have a great deal of respect for people who take such pride in their appearance.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
To each his/her own.

Personally I never see that. I live in the country and heels and makeup just don't fit in with life here

Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
It's all about looking appropriate. I never leave the house without light makeup, brushed hair and well-fitting, attractive clothing. However its always appropriate to what I'm doing - so as the sahm of a young child I wear a lot of jeans and flats and yoga wear on occasion, but its always well fitting and flattering. Wearing a cocktail dress or business suit and heels to playground would be ridiculous, and these types women who are always overdressed regardless of practical considerations or appropriateness do come off looking silly and out of touch with reality
This (although I absolutely leave the house without makeup...I really only wear makeup when dressed formally). Being dressed formally and groomed compatibly does not fit many people's day-to-day lifestyle. Shall I wear a ballgown, updo, and full face of makeup to the gym? Would I wear a power suit and pumps to go spend the day at my parents' farm? Of course not.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm assuming some hyperbole, here. I can't think of any reason one would put on a beaded evening gown to go fuel up a vehicle, stop by the grocery store, swing by the pharmacy, and drop off a package at the post office.
Sometimes it's fun to get all dressed up and go do "normal" fun stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
That ended hats for church too.
Eh, I guess it depends on the church.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm assuming some hyperbole, here. I can't think of any reason one would put on a beaded evening gown to go fuel up a vehicle, stop by the grocery store, swing by the pharmacy, and drop off a package at the post office.
Someone had a blog a few years ago where she took pictures of herself in her old bridesmaids dresses grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, etc, because everyone says you can wear those dresses more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty