Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times

Advertisements

I date a girl who has several tats, like me but now she's talking about getting crap done to her face which will change her features and she doesn't agree. I told her if she gets perma -tats done then we're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Permanent makeup is NEVER 100% permanent. Because of the skin it is done on (face) it lightens after a year or two and needs yearly 'freshening up' with more color to keep it looking good. I have my brows, liner and lips done (in 2008) and am a Certified PMU tech since then.
As we age, it is not so much the 'sagging' of the facial skin that is a problem, but the effects of MENOPAUSE and the ways it changes collegen production of our skin, esp the face. My brows are exactly where they were in 2008. I was 55 then, and they could use some 'freshening' color now. My lips you cannot tell were ever done, so the permanent there is a joke...it wasn't permanent. LIPS are difficult to 'take' color and need to be done by someone in the field of PMU with LOTS of experience (mine were done by the school's Owner/Educator of 25 yrs). Lips are muscle and mucous, with 'skin' being the least part of them being tattooed. My eye liner also needs freshening up after 9 yrs. but looks fine....it has not SAGGED anywhere, either.
I haven't done my OWN freshenings because I am now blind in one eye and cannot SEE well out of my sighted eye to see while working in such a small area, or I would have done them long ago, and added some 'shadowing' technique, too. I don't look like a 'clown' as many have insinuated old women who put on makeup do. Also, at 62, I am old and wise enough to NOT care what anyone thinks or says. I know who I am.
I just had to make a true statemet here as there was SO MUCH MISinformation on permanent makeup in one spot.

As for the O/P, my 2 cents worth is: NOT to have it done to your face. You have self-proclaimed self-esteem issues and no amount of PMU will make you happy. A talk or a few with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist might be $$ more well spent in finding some self esteem. There are not many PMU techs in the NC/SC areas. Most of it is all the hoops you have to jump thru with the State and then the County and City in which you live ($$$). So, IF you seek this service out, please make certain that the person is WELL TRAINED (20+yrs) and from this Country, and ask to see they have a current license and recent certifications... Google the school to see IF it exists, ESP if foreign schools....otherwise, you very well may look like a clown...and one that is crying, too.

The newest and 'hottest' thing on the scene is MICROBLADING...PMU for brows (also called Eyebrow Embroidery) that shows 'hair-strokes'. It can look great right out of being done, but in the past month everyone and their cousin are going to one or 2 'Microblading Bootcamps' in NV or NYC (taught by the Russians or Chinese) and they leave thinking they are a PRO. MANY are not even trained in PMU, just pay the $$$ at the Bootcamps and begin doing the procedures.
Buyer BEWARE! NOT all PMU pigments (inks) are the same! As in anything else, some people use quality, safe pigments that have been tested and some go to a Bootcamp and buy the cheapest and/or MIX combos of the two. Just be careful...it may not be permanent, but it is still on your face!! Finally, ask to see their Insurance for Malpractice. You HAVE to have it in NC/SC. IF they don't carry it...RUN...FAST out the door!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:03 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
I know that this thread is two years old, but I have just recently heard about microblading. I've heard of permanent makeup, of course, but I had no idea that one's eyebrows could be made to look natural and not clownish. I overplucked my eyebrows in the late 80s and early 90s and the tail (?) of my eyebrows is barely visible in pictures. Plus, I have a scar that bisects my right eyebrow and now it looks patchy. Anyone have any experience with this procedure recently? I've been looking into some locations near me and it looks like it costs $450 and up. To anyone who has had this done, do you think that it is worth the money? I am leaning toward doing it, but I am a little hesitant because of the cost. Then again, it's money I don't have to spend on castor oil, microneedling, RapidBrow, and all sorts of cosmetics. Thoughts?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
I've not heard of the latest procedure you mentioned, but I have permanent make-up and love it. I'm very fair so my eyebrows would be invisible. I can go totally without make-up now and be fine. It does not look clownish or unnatural at all. No one even knows I have it.

The lips have faded over the years but the eyeliner looks just the same 7 years later.

Doing the lips is very painful, but overall worth it. The eyeliner was merely unpleasant buzzing sensation; not painful. Nor were the brows.

Didn't know eyeshadow was even possible, or blush! Yikes.

Now at age 62, I don't think I'll re-do any of it....

Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I have my brows microbladed. Love them, but still need a little filling in every day.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,306 times
Find a reputable person for brows. I know two women who have very light and thin eyebrows, and microblading looks like permanent markers on them. I heard that microblading works better for someone who already has some brows, but won't look that great up close on someone who have little brows.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:29 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Find a reputable person for brows. I know two women who have very light and thin eyebrows, and microblading looks like permanent markers on them. I heard that microblading works better for someone who already has some brows, but won't look that great up close on someone who have little brows.
I read the same thing. I also read that it lasts longer on people with skin on the dry side, and I tend to get straight-up greasy. I just bought some stencils and I think I am going to keep drawing them on until I do some more research.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:01 PM

10 posts, read 7,638 times
Sounds like a bad idea

Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Be sure to get references for permanent eyebrows.

Even the best ones look fake up close but some are better than others.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I know that this thread is two years old, but I have just recently heard about microblading. I've heard of permanent makeup, of course, but I had no idea that one's eyebrows could be made to look natural and not clownish. I overplucked my eyebrows in the late 80s and early 90s and the tail (?) of my eyebrows is barely visible in pictures. Plus, I have a scar that bisects my right eyebrow and now it looks patchy. Anyone have any experience with this procedure recently? I've been looking into some locations near me and it looks like it costs $450 and up. To anyone who has had this done, do you think that it is worth the money? I am leaning toward doing it, but I am a little hesitant because of the cost. Then again, it's money I don't have to spend on castor oil, microneedling, RapidBrow, and all sorts of cosmetics. Thoughts?
Money should NOT be your issue...experience should. Go to someone who is certified by either the SPCP (society of permanent cosmetic professionals) or the AAM (american academy of micropigmentation) two of the longest standing places for PMU or Micropigmentation. There is NO 'board certification' but you can go to either of those sites and find someone in your state or a nearby one to get a better outcome. I have seem women posting on both Craigslist and Facebook pages that have to do with local sales and some have very cheap prices, but what you get for those prices is a MESS! It takes a newbie a min of 5 YEARS to perfect the PMU art, so if you cannot find someone who has been doing it that long, don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty