Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

What ya'll think don't matter.

Lupita Nyong'o Ended Kenya and Mexico's Mini-Feud Over Her Nationality - The Wire
Quote:
Ever since Lupita Nyong'o started getting big, the entertainment pages of Kenya and Mexico have feuded over which country gets to "claim" her. Last night, Lupita put the debate to rest. "I'm Mexican and Kenyan at the same time," she said, according to El Mañana. "I've seen the quarrels over my nationality, but I'm Kenyan and Mexican at the same time. So again, I am Mexican-Kenyan and I am fascinated by carne asada tacos."
End of discussion.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
White woman...check
In line for adopting a black kid...check
Speak Ebonics.....Check ( I understand not all black people do, but hey I likes!)
Black women friends ....check
Would I sleep with a black billionaire if I were single? ...check, yes ma''am

So not sure where this racist tomfoolery comes from.

Am not black but I'm not dumb its clear that in the black community the Alek Weks are good to make tongues wiggle for one season but you know who consistantly holds black attention? Rhihanna & Beyonce.
Added to the ignore list....check!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Lupita just won an Oscar, she has a master's from Yale, she has produced documentaries, she is in the good graces of the fashion industry's heavy hitters (Anna Wintour), she landed a highly coveted ad campaign with Miu Miu and is the toast of the entertainment industry...she could give absolutely zero effs what a random hoodrat thinks of her.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Posts like this pretty much sum up why we need a lot more Lupitas and a wider variety of types to represent black beauty.
Personally, I think Lupita is a better representative of "black beauty" than Amber Rose. To me, Amber Rose is rather icky in appearance. I just don't like bleached hair on black people--my own particular prejudice. I also tend to give Spock-brow to black women with butt-length straight hair...unless, of course, it truly happens to be growing from their own hair follicles, in which case it's a wonder. What I'm really saying is that I prefer "natural," or reasonably close to something I can pretend could be natural.

I can't take seriously someone who says "I like black beauty" whose examples are women who are interracial.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM

33 posts, read 49,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Personally, I think Lupita is a better representative of "black beauty" than Amber Rose. To me, Amber Rose is rather icky in appearance. I just don't like bleached hair on black people--my own particular prejudice. I also tend to give Spock-brow to black women with butt-length straight hair...unless, of course, it truly happens to be growing from their own hair follicles, in which case it's a wonder. What I'm really saying is that I prefer "natural," or reasonably close to something I can pretend could be natural.

I can't take seriously someone who says "I like black beauty" whose examples are women who are interracial.
Everyone has a right to wear their hair as they wish. I love my natural hair, but it does take a lot of time to do. I happen to prefer my coils to straight hair, because there's far more versatility, and I'm not a slave to the salon. Also, I love being able to go swimming on a regular basis without worrying about my hair.

Lately, I've noticed that lots of black guys (on black oriented forums) say that they prefer natural hair, etc, but offline, I rarely see a plethora of black men dating natural haired women. In my experience, many will go after those with relaxers or weaves. Obviously every black guy out there doesn't prefer straight hair, but many do, based on my personal experiences. I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone having a certain preference, but it can be a bit hypocritical to constantly speak about preferring natural hair, if that's not what the person is truly seeking.

It may be due to my location, but I get far more attention from non black guys, than black guys.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I don't get the hype of Lupita. She's a beautiful woman. No denying that. But black people are really doing the most acting like we haven't had great representations of black beauty in the past. Just because she's dark skinned, African, and has natural hair, she's getting hyped up. She is the flavor of the month. That's it.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
i knew this thread would go off the rails

but it leads to other things

i prefer natural, but it needs to look good with the rest of your pkg

weaves and other accessories can get outa hand with alot of black women...

if you get a weave and it is not rediculous and accentuates your hairstyle and you look good with it then i have no problem

but you see some black women with dark skin, green contacts, blue powedery shht around their eyes, and a long blonde weave/wig and its like they are purposely trying to look like a drag queen and the sad thing is that they think they look outstanding and they draw self esteem from their weave and start stroking and playing with it like a white girl would do

do i need to post some youtube examples?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't get the hype of Lupita. She's a beautiful woman. No denying that. But black people are really doing the most acting like we haven't had great representations of black beauty in the past. Just because she's dark skinned, African, and has natural hair, she's getting hyped up. She is the flavor of the month. That's it.
thank you sir, thats all many of us been saying

the fake lovefest and praises is what rubs me the wrong way...its almost condescending

Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Exactly!

And I am beyond tired of certain types of young black women using the unaccomplished, uneducated, classless, tacky baby mamas of rappers and athletes as their barometers of how an attractive black woman should look. Too many young black women are chasing a "beauty" ideal (light skin/exotic/non-black looks, gigantic behind, straight/fake hair) that caters to the solely to the sexual fantasies of men of the underclass (video vixens, groupies and random girls on the "come up" by getting knocked up by a rapper or baller).

Old 03-09-2014, 10:16 AM

33 posts, read 49,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i knew this thread would go off the rails

but it leads to other things

i prefer natural, but it needs to look good with the rest of your pkg

weaves and other accessories can get outa hand with alot of black women...

if you get a weave and it is not rediculous and accentuates your hairstyle and you look good with it then i have no problem

but you see some black women with dark skin, green contacts, blue powedery shht around their eyes, and a long blonde weave/wig and its like they are purposely trying to look like a drag queen and the sad thing is that they think they look outstanding and they draw self esteem from their weave and start stroking and playing with it like a white girl would do

do i need to post some youtube examples?
You should feel sympathy for those women, not scorn. More often than not, they feel unattractive. This may explain why they go through such lengths to get a blonde weave or wig and blue contacts. You see a drag queen, but they see a barbie doll.

In real life, I rarely see black women wearing blonde weaves or wigs. I will acknowledge that a number of black women do wear wigs or hair extensions, but some of those women are natural underneath the hair-do. Often in the natural hair-world, a weave or wig is used as a protective style. Many who go natural do not necessarily want to walk around with a short afro, so they will wear weaves or wigs, until their own hair grows and they are comfortable with its length.

There is no need to post any youtube videos, because there's all sorts of examples on youtube. If for example, you search on youtube for "natural hair," thousands of videos will come up. All of the videos feature black women styling and providing advice about natural hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty