Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,390,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I don't see women like Tika Sumpter being championed as beautiful
look at that last episode of the THATHN and Tika looks like a ghost, they put so much makeup on her to lighten her i guess

Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,390,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten_Moon View Post
Unfortunately, it is not women who control the media, the fashion industry or even beauty. It's men. White GAY men to be exact.
fixed.

---

the fact that they lighten Beyonce to the point where you have to do a double take sometimes tells you all you need to know about the industry.

Beyonce is like a golden brown complexion and apparently its too dark

Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,767,744 times
Wow,I didn't know it got that far!

Someone kept bringing up Naomi Campbell....well,she has no edges.
When was the last time you saw Naomi in her narural hair? Same with Iman,and she actually bleached her skin.

Now,the perfect dark skinned woman to represent black women would have to have natural hair,be dark skinned,and very pear shaped.

I'm thinking someone who looks like Kenya Moore(who actually has her real hair) or Bria Myles if she were to wear her natural hair.Jessica White and Tika Sumter need to wear their natural hair.

But really,Kenya Moore and Lanisha Cole would have been perfect,and they slay all the
supermodels.

Amber Rose? Is that a joke?
She isn't pretty in the least bit.

Oprah and Condi?
Most men always says they are ugly.
I don't think so,but I haven't really heard of men describing Oprah as attractive.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,256,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

When was the last time you saw Naomi in her narural hair? Same with Iman,and she actually bleached her skin.

Now,the perfect dark skinned woman to represent black women would have to have natural hair,be dark skinned,and very pear shaped.

I'm thinking someone who looks like Kenya Moore(who actually has her real hair) or Bria Myles if she were to wear her natural hair.Jessica White and Tika Sumter need to wear their natural hair.

But really,Kenya Moore and Lanisha Cole would have been perfect,and they slay all the
supermodels.

Oprah and Condi?
I don't think so,but I haven't really heard of men describing Oprah as attractive.
Why pear shaped?

And who cares if they were weave or not. Most celeb women(white, Latina, and black) wear extensions of some sort, wear a ton of make up, and are drastically photo-shopped. They do not look like the average woman because the average woman doesn't have the money, resources, or pressure to look a certain way.

What your asking for is to see an average looking black woman represented in Hollywood and the reality is that the majority of Hollywood consists of average women adorned in make up, plastic surgery, and extensions so that they aren't average looking. if you want to see a black woman, that is pear shaped, with natural hair, little to no make up, no plastic surgery, and with a thicker build you can see that at the mall, or other public places. but in Hollywood? Lets be realistic--that would not happen. Even the average looking white women in Hollywood are adorned in make up, extensions, spray tan, an unnatural hair color, etc. the whole reason these women are promoted looking as fake and as done up as they are, is so they don't look average and instead look appealing and very attractive to the eye.

Besides your idea of perfection may not apply to someone else. Personally I dont think Kenya Moore is as attractive as lupita, or Jessica white. She used to be, but not anymore IMO. In my opinion black beauty should be representative of all the types of black women that exist-just like it is for white women. And that means light skinned black women, brown skinned, Carmel, chocolate, dark chocolate, etc. and with a variety of shapes, heights, etc. I don't care so much about natural looking hair extensions, or about women being thinner, or average sized but I understand that for some women they want to see a woman that looks exactly like a woman you would see on the streets... To me Hollywood doesn't necessarily have to represent what I already see in my day to day life, however it should at the very least include all racial and ethnic looks and body shapes and sizes that are healthy looking. That is my idea of perfect representation...

Last edited by Faith2187; 03-10-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,450,805 times
Quote:

supermodels.

Oprah and Condi?
I'm sorry but who gave you (a non-black person) the authority to dictate what physical attributes are or are not considered beautiful in black women...to black people? Stay in your own lane.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten_Moon View Post
The majority of the people complimenting Lupita are women. Unfortunately, it is not women who control the media, the fashion industry or even beauty. It's men. White men to be exact.

Some have given examples of successful dark skinned women in the industry; however, they only represent a handful of the "black" women in Hollywood. (Halle, Paula Patton, etc. can continue to call themselves black, but they are still light skinned and biracial.) Plus, many of them have been acting or modeling since the 80s. Sanaa Lathan, Gabrielle Union, Nia Long, Angela Bassett, Naomi Campbell, etc, are all over 40. Where is the new talent?

Margot Robbie from "Wolves of Wall Street" wasn't even nominated but she already has landed two movies roles since the movie came out. Lupita? umm.... Sorry, but black beauty will never be appreciated unless it's on a white women's body.
Good point. I wonder why there are no black women from this generation that are being spotlighted in the media. For the most part the same black women that were popular twenty years ago are still the representation for black women--mostly in black media, and the selected few in Hollywood media. However beyond Tika Sumpter, what twenty something black
Women of any shade has had prominent roles in television shows, multiple movies(opposed to one good movie), etc? we see all the time how white wen of all ages, hair color, eyes, body shape, etc are gaining roles in shows, movies, etc. but this is not the case for other races of women... Latina and black women face this similar situation.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM

And for the person who claimed amber rose is black, you are wrong! Amber rose is multi-racial, and can be put in the same category as other biracial woman like Halle or Paula Patton. Amber rose was discovered because she was dating kanye west, and had an unconventional style. She boomed, the same way Kim K and coco austin did, because she had bigger hips and a big butt and black men(who they all date) loved it. Amber knew just like Kim did, that sex sells and that her big butt would be a sellable asset especially amongst black men. What set amber apart was the shaved head and her sense of fashion but she by all means can not even be compared to Lupita... That's comparing apples to oranges-comparing a multi-racial model(formerly a lesbian stripper) known for her big butt and swag to an African actress who happens to be a Yale graduate and played in a movie nominated for oscars... Really??? Laughable honestly.

And not that it matters but if I had a daughter I wouldn't want her to look up to any of these women. whether its Jennifer Lawrence or lupita. I would want her to look up to myself, or other beautiful, educated, confident, free-minded, open-minded women amongst her family that she personally knows-as opposed to celebs whom she has no personal interaction with. I never personally understood why anyone would look up to a celeb that they did not know (beyond the tidbit of info that was revealed about the celeb). I never looked up to celebs as a young woman no matter how special or attractive I found then to be.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Why pear shaped?

And who cares if they were weave or not. Most celeb women(white, Latina, and black) wear extensions of some sort, wear a ton of make up, and are drastically photo-shopped. They do not look like the average woman because the average woman doesn't have the money, resources, or pressure to look a certain way.

What your asking for is to see an average looking black woman represented in Hollywood and the reality is that the majority of Hollywood consists of average women adorned in make up, plastic surgery, and extensions so that they aren't average looking. if you want to see a black woman, that is pear shaped, with natural hair, little to no make up, no plastic surgery, and with a thicker build you can see that at the mall, or other public places. but in Hollywood? Lets be realistic--that would not happen. Even the average looking white women in Hollywood are adorned in make up, extensions, spray tan, an unnatural hair color, etc. the whole reason these women are promoted looking as fake and as done up as they are, is so they don't look average and instead look appealing and very attractive to the eye.

Besides your idea of perfection may not apply to someone else. Personally I dont think Kenya Moore is as attractive as lupita, or Jessica white. She used to be, but not anymore IMO. In my opinion black beauty should be representative of all the types of black women that exist-just like it is for white women. And that means light skinned black women, brown skinned, Carmel, chocolate, dark chocolate, etc. and with a variety of shapes, heights, etc. I don't care so much about natural looking hair extensions, or about women being thinner, or average sized but I understand that for some women they want to see a woman that looks exactly like a woman you would see on the streets... To me Hollywood doesn't necessarily have to represent what I already see in my day to day life, however it should at the very least include all racial and ethnic looks and body shapes and sizes that are healthy looking. That is my idea of perfect representation...
I was glad that Gabby Sidebe was popular a few yrs back
because she showed confidence,and she has a pretty face.

Yet,black women threw her under the bus.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was glad that Gabby Sidebe was popular a few yrs back
because she showed confidence,and she has a pretty face.

Yet,black women threw her under the bus.
Which black women threw her under the boss, and why? You speak as if black women collectively did this when the reality is that we all did not. I never saw Precious but knew who the actress was, personally I did notice that she was morbidly obese but that would certainly never be the criteria I would use when determining ones acting ability. Attractiveness, health, and talent are separate categories that I judge accordingly. For instance I think megan good is attractive, she looks healthy to me BUT in my opinion she cannot act to save her life.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sorry but who gave you (a non-black person) the authority to dictate what physical attributes are or are not considered beautiful in black women...to black people? Stay in your own lane.
Excuse me,is this an all black board?
Why can't I post?

The thread didn't say only blacks can respond,and quite frankly you don't know who or what I am.

Who gave YOU the authority?

Anyway,like I and many other have said,what's wrong with black women wearing their natural hair?

And don't give me that hype about hair protection,because there are natural looking hair weaves. There is Afro textured hair like Bobraz,Mongolian Kinky curly,heat free hair,etc.

Why black women continue to wear straight weaved hair is beyond me...
I could see doing that 10 yrs ago,but now there is more natural textured hair to match the texture of kinky curly hair.

My only issue with Lupita being pushed was her being very thin.
Body wise,I think Serena Williams is a better representative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty