Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM

452 posts, read 707,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
I am a youthful 67 year old and colored my hair up until 2 about years ago. I wear it very short and stylish and my grey is shiny and very pretty....I get lots of compliments on cut and color. Last week, my very honest cleaning lady asked me why I'd don't color my hair. She said, "you are very young and the grey makes you look too old." I wasn't in the least offended but it did make me think. I am tired of the same cut and color.....so want to do something different.....need a change. I know that coloring my hair would take at least ten years off my appearance.....but I don't really care about that. I asked my husband and he said, "I like it bc it's natural and very pretty the way it is." I don't know where I'm going with this post.....the actual thought of going through the hassle of coloring my hair every month and all those nasty chemicals makes me sad I really don't want to bother but I'm bored with the status quo. And letting it grow isn't an option bc that is way too hard to manage. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Silver is a color that can't be duplicated. If I could upload pics, I'd show you my neighbor's hair, which is about 4' of (what looks like) silver water cascading down her back and hips. Every woman in the neighborhood is now letting their hair go natural (besides, grey softens the look of laugh lines and fine wrinkles, where dyes pronounce them.

If you're happy with it and your hubby's happy with it, leave it alone! Maybe your cleaning lady is jealous? Besides, the total cost of having natural hair color is ZERO!

My mother finally let her hair grow out (at my constant insistence...she said she was "too old" for long hair...says who? Hairdressers who stand to lose a fortune if women finally got the nerve to be themselves instead of trying to look like something they used to be or something they wanted to be?

I never cut or color my hair, not ever. (Once a month, I "dust" the ends...take 1/32" off to keep split ends from forming)

It's almost 5' long and has a magnificent silver streak, about 3" that runs down the right side. I've had women ask me "where'd you get that done?"

Believe it or not, the longer your hair is, the easier it is to manage. Once you get past the annoying grow out stage, you can do anything you please with it (I did mine this morning in a crown rope braid that looks like I paid a fortune for, took 10 minutes, one band and 1 bobby pin. All perfectly balanced, no neck strain).

Check out Torrinpaige on YouTube to see how to style your hair by yourself. Her's is a bit shorter than mine, so I have to "build" it a bit more, but I can do anything from pigtails to the "envy of the renfair".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,534,066 times
My mother has been complaining because I stopped dying my hair. I have long hair and am no longer interested in trying to keep up appearances. I have other things I'd like to do in life.

Her complaint is that my grey hair makes her look old! She colors her hair and thinks every woman should. So much for aging gracefully with her around. I live 3 hours away and only see her 4-5 times a year. So I'm not sure what my hair color has to do with her life.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,146,554 times
Quote:
I am a youthful 67 year old and colored my hair up until 2 about years ago. I wear it very short and stylish and my grey is shiny and very pretty....I get lots of compliments on cut and color. Last week, my very honest cleaning lady asked me why I'd don't color my hair. She said, "you are very young and the grey makes you look too old." I wasn't in the least offended but it did make me think. I am tired of the same cut and color.....so want to do something different.....need a change. I know that coloring my hair would take at least ten years off my appearance.....but I don't really care about that. I asked my husband and he said, "I like it bc it's natural and very pretty the way it is." I don't know where I'm going with this post.....the actual thought of going through the hassle of coloring my hair every month and all those nasty chemicals makes me sad I really don't want to bother but I'm bored with the status quo. And letting it grow isn't an option bc that is way too hard to manage. Thoughts? Suggestions?
There are shampoo in hair colors that will wash out.... might be fun for a change that you can unchange with the next shampoo...

Old 03-18-2014, 04:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,514,417 times
Who needs all those chemicals? I dye my hair because it is too dark for my coloring. If I were grey, I would stop dying it in a heartbeat.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,569,406 times
At some point coloring grey hair requires professional expertise to really pull off a stunning affect. Otherwise one runs the risk of looking like Eddie Munster.

If you look at Helen Mirren, Catherine Deneuve, Sophia Loren, Oprah and countless other women >50 who look great with "colored" hair you'll notice rarely is it of one shade. Rather via a mix of highlights and or using more than one shade a good colorist can mimic the natural process of hair aging (lighter hair around the face), but keep the overall result "youthful" and not harsh.

The biggest mistake many women make is trying to remain the colour of their youth. That particularly bad for the darker shades of brunette. First very dark hair is aging to most older persons. Next black, and even dark brown all but guarantee you'll be dealing with grey roots in about two weeks or even less after colouring.

As for going grey or sliver, some women can carry it off wonderfully. Others look very washed out and or "old". Much will depend upon one's skin tone/colouring and the undertones to the hair. Yellow cast can be toned down and "salt and pepper" can be made to look very attractive.

Main reason so many women decide to "go grey" after a certain point is the expense and bother of keeping things up . Unless you are very well off and or know a good but inexpensive hair colourist count on spending dear amounts monthly. Then there is the time one has to spend at salon and so forth. Oprah can afford to have someone come to her when and where ever she wishes, the rest of us aren't that blessed.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you look at Helen Mirren, Catherine Deneuve, Sophia Loren, Oprah and countless other women >50 who look great with "colored" hair you'll notice rarely is it of one shade.
Oprah???? That's not always been her real hair! Those are all Hollywoods who paid to look like a million bucks. You can't compare the rest of the world to Hollywood. Most people have jobs and lives and can't spend 6 hours every few weeks getting their hair done.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oprah???? That's not always been her real hair! Those are all Hollywoods who paid to look like a million bucks. You can't compare the rest of the world to Hollywood. Most people have jobs and lives and can't spend 6 hours every few weeks getting their hair done.
Yes, should have mentioned Oprah "wears hair", *LOL*

To be fair for many older African American women dealing with grey hair isn't easy if they also use relaxers. Permanent hair color and relaxers do not play well together and at some point one or the other will have to go.

Oprah's choice is one many AA women make. Simply ditch the relaxer in favour of "press and curl", wash and set or whatever in whole or part and then use pieces or even a wig.

Of course there is the option of a full head weave but ask Naomi Campbell how that works out long term.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you read my post that is exactly what one said is the reason many women simply decide to go totally grey. At some point the upkeep requires more time and or funds than they are willing to devote. It is like some men that are balding simply shave their heads to address the problem rather than fight nature.

Problem is many baby boomers simply aren't willing to "age" in that way without a fight, especially women.

For some females gray hair means they are officially "old" and signifies the final loss of their youth, attractiveness and so forth. This of course is a load of flannel but long as the media continues to shun femmes d'un age certain, in favour of youth things won't change.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,615,769 times
Quote:
Hey what the heck, give it a shot and see how it goes. You might like how it looks. What do you have to lose you only live once.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you read my post that is exactly what one said is the reason many women simply decide to go totally grey. At some point the upkeep requires more time and or funds than they are willing to devote. It is like some men that are balding simply shave their heads to address the problem rather than fight nature.

Problem is many baby boomers simply aren't willing to "age" in that way without a fight, especially women.

For some females gray hair means they are officially "old" and signifies the final loss of their youth, attractiveness and so forth. This of course is a load of flannel but long as the media continues to shun femmes d'un age certain, in favour of youth things won't change.
Clearly I did read your post and that's what lead to my comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty