U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
523 posts, read 2,547,458 times
Reputation: 363

Advertisements

Did anyone see the Victoria's Secret fashion show last night? I saw a few minutes here and there and I don't know if it's just me but I felt like the lingerie was quite conservative this year and big boobs did not seem to reign supreme. I've only watched one of these shows in the past and I remember a lot less coverage, a lot of boobs pushed way up and a lot of near naked butts.

Anyway, just a random thought--just curious what other people thought of the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Chi-Town soon to be NYC and eventually Ireland
290 posts, read 984,823 times
Reputation: 364
Lol. I hate to say it, but the "fashion show" was one of the reasons I started boycotting VS, the other big problem being their advertising campaigns in general. I am still in shock that they allow this to be broadcast on network TV. I would have *much* less of an issue with it if they "shared the wealth" so to speak, and provided some eye candy for female viewers as well. But I think we all know how the old male network heads and all-important advertising execs would feel about a bunch of hot, buff, young 25 year old studs prancing around in tiny little underwear. They would simply never allow it.

I guess I would not be surprised to learn that the trend in VS is away from the big breasts and toward more attractively proportioned women. The balloon sized jugs became popular in the late nineties and seem to have died out over the past 4-5 years or so. Glad to hear it. Maybe we'll save the next generation of young women from going under the knife for an unhealthy, expensive, not to mention unattractive physique!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
 
618 posts, read 1,466,287 times
Reputation: 303
I think the show is discusting.
It definately should NOT be on when kids are home watching t.v.
And why does it always cater mostly to men?
Where's the men's underwear fashion shows?
Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I think the show is discusting.
It definately should NOT be on when kids are home watching t.v.
And why does it always cater mostly to men?
Where's the men's underwear fashion shows?
Hmmm...
That's one of the reasons, why they broadcast it at 10 pm, during a school night!
But, I agree with you about the men's underwear fashion shows.....lol.....
But, on the other hand.....how many ways and in how many colors could they wear ONE piece of clothing
I enjoy the show, and watch it every year.....very colorful, very much "over the top" and fantasy like......
I just LOVE they way the artists design the wings.......
I also loved still seeing Heidi Klum on there, as a long time veteran of VS.
3 kids, healthy and natural looking body, and a great sense of humor and personality to go with it....WOW....thumbs up all the way!!!!
I also noticed, that most of the models are not stick thin, like they used to be, and do have some healthy looking curves to them.
FINALLY...I think we're on to something, and wish other Companies would finally follow suit.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
 
781 posts, read 3,486,171 times
Reputation: 276
It was on at 9:00 pm here (On Tues or Wed night...did not see it last night) and I would not let my 17 year old boy watch it. It is not that I am a prude simply that it is inappropriate for a public telecast. Why not show it as a pay-per-view event? There is no reason for lingerie shows on the tv. It is simply a marketing ploy for VS and does cater to men. I stopped shopping there years ago for the reason that I would not support their product. JMHO

Last edited by martinez4; 12-07-2007 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: adding comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
It was on at 9:00 pm here (On Tues or Wed night...did not see it last night) and I would not let my 17 year old boy watch it. It is not that I am a prude simply that it is inappropriate for a public telecast. Why not show it as a pay-per-view event? There is no reason for lingerie shows on the tv. It is simply a marketing ploy for VS and does cater to men. I stopped shopping there years ago for the reason that I would not support their product. JMHO
That is something I really don't "get".....there are fashion shows, (amongst other shows on regular TV), being broadcasted, showing butt, nipple, breast under see trough clothing. (Miss USA etc, not in underwear per se, but bikini's)
I looked REALLY hard, and couldn't SEE ANYTHING at VS!
They were not naked, nor obscene.....so, help me here....., why exactly is it so "inappropriate" ?
Also, in my opinion do they not alone and exclusively cater to men (because they also have parfum, make up, purses)
Some people better check out teenage fav's like MTV and such, and see what "fashion" or the lack there of, is shown.....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
 
781 posts, read 3,486,171 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
That is something I really don't "get".....there are fashion shows, (amongst other shows on regular TV), being broadcasted, showing butt, nipple, breast under see trough clothing. (Miss USA etc, not in underwear per se, but bikini's)
I looked REALLY hard, and couldn't SEE ANYTHING at VS!
They were not naked, nor obscene.....so, help me here....., why exactly is it so "inappropriate" ?
Also, in my opinion do they not alone and exclusively cater to men (because they also have parfum, make up, purses)
Some people better check out teenage fav's like MTV and such, and see what "fashion" or the lack there of, is shown.....lol.

You can't really compare a beauty pageant to a lingerie show....that is like comparing an apple to an orange. The inappropriate opinion comes from the idea that is it okay to show a bunch of women parading around in UNDERWEAR!!! Let's face it.....it is not a swimsuit that they are wearing it is underwear.....if you saw a woman walking down the beach in underwear....would that be appropriate??? Would she get service in a restaurant...no.

I chose not to shop at VS, not because of their selections and variety but simply because I do not want to support the way that their models are paraded to the public.

As far as MTV....it is not allowed in our home. But that is another discussion

This is simply one woman's feelings....I am not judging anyone else....different opinions make the world-go-round
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
if you saw a woman walking down the beach in underwear....would that be appropriate???
Take a look at bikini's and "underwear sets"....sometimes you will not be able to see or fell the difference now a days.
Besides....if someone is walking around stalk naked, I wouldn't have a problem.....lol...whatever floats their boat.
Who am I to judge anybody or anything???
But, I do respect your point of view...and YES, it makes life interesting, indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Chi-Town soon to be NYC and eventually Ireland
290 posts, read 984,823 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
That is something I really don't "get".....there are fashion shows, (amongst other shows on regular TV), being broadcasted, showing butt, nipple, breast under see trough clothing. (Miss USA etc, not in underwear per se, but bikini's)
I looked REALLY hard, and couldn't SEE ANYTHING at VS!
They were not naked, nor obscene.....so, help me here....., why exactly is it so "inappropriate" ?
Also, in my opinion do they not alone and exclusively cater to men (because they also have parfum, make up, purses)
Some people better check out teenage fav's like MTV and such, and see what "fashion" or the lack there of, is shown.....lol.

Honestly though, while women do indeed shop there for their own undergarmets, the fashion show is VERY much geared for the men, and they make no secret of that. Their biggest sponsers are beer companies! I do not think it's a healthy or desirable thing to expose young girls to. It is well known that many (most?) of their models have undergone plastic surgery. I am consistent however, and am also appalled by MTV and the vast majority of fashions geared toward young women these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Honestly though, while women do indeed shop there for their own undergarmets, the fashion show is VERY much geared for the men, and they make no secret of that. Their biggest sponsers are beer companies! I do not think it's a healthy or desirable thing to expose young girls to. It is well known that many (most?) of their models have undergone plastic surgery. I am consistent however, and am also appalled by MTV and the vast majority of fashions geared toward young women these days.
I only partially agree...but, I think we WILL ALL AGREE to one thing....this great controversy IS what makes them so successful (that goes for the VS Runway show, their commercials....especially the Holiday ones...and their clothes)
Scandal and Controversy IS what sells...always has....always will.......
Nutty...isn't it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top