Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,097 times

Advertisements

Are a pair of sandals just considered flip flops if they only have the v-shaped strap between the toes and sandals if they have other straps?

I hear many people give different opinions on what difference flip flops and sandals have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
I think flip flops are generally flimsy "sandals" with a between the toes piece and no back. They also can be a similar kind that is not between the toes but has a minimal front piece to hold them on. Then there are mules or slides. These seem to be sandals that are more substantial and can be made out of leather and even dressy. Flip flops to me are synonimous with a cheap synthetic beach or pool type shoe made of rubber or synthetic.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Any shoe that has no heel structure to hold your heel in the shoe and some sort of vamp structure to hold the toe area is a flip flop. So, Dr Scholls wood exercise sandals are flip flops even though the vamp structure doesn't have a post between the toes. I've seen flip flops with stacked wedges -- man -- I'd kill myself on those things... for some reason, every time I wear a flip flop the flop flips to the side, so my heel hits bare ground. If it were a tall wedge, I'd be faceplanting.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
To me a flip flop is the really cheap foam shoe you buy to wear to the pool, so that if someone steals them you're not more than a buck or two. I wear sandals with the thong between the toe every day, but they're hard rubbery sandals with a very firm arch, so I don't think of them as flip flops. My husband wears the flat kind without the arch, but his run about $50/pair so I don't think of them as flip flops either (and I don't let him wear those to the pool, I buy him a cheap pair for that).

Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
A flip flop is flat and made of foam or rubber and only goes over the toes or between them. Between them is most common. They are made for the beach or pool, so made to get wet and slip off easily.

Sandals are anything beyond that. If it has a heel or wedge, then it's not a flip flip. If it has a back strap, then not a flip flop. If its leather or dressier material, then it's still more of a "thong" sandal than flip flop.

Of course there is grey area, but IMO, the purpose of the shoe should be considered. If its main purpose is for the beach or pool, then it's probably a flip flop. If it would be too dressy or not practical for the beach or pool, then it's more of a sandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty