Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Do you exfoliate just once a day? I tend to exfoliate 1-2 times a day. I'm not sold on the sugar method, but whatever floats your boat.
The sugar method works well. A finer sugar is best for the face, raw sugar isn't a good option.

I used to do this all the time. Now a days I do use more chemical exfoliants since I have other skin concerns than I did in my 20s.

A nice way to exfoliate when you are really dry is to mix the sugar in olive oil! Double bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
see a dermatologist--it could be eczema or seborrhea or something else that would be better treated with a scrip.

i've done well using a product called "california baby lotion"--we got it for our baby, but it works well with my face.

it's active ingredient is calendula. i think my wife gets it at target.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
With your troubles, I'd recommend a visit to a dermatologist, who can help you more than those of us on this forum can.

However, if you have eczema you might have itching too. The white patches make me wonder if you don't have some other condition that needs meds. The Dermatologist can prescribe meds to help, if the problem can be treated that way. If the problem is simply dry skin, then you need to moisturize. Dermatologists seem to recommend Cetaphil or CeraVe, found in any Walgreens or CVS.

But I'd visit the doc for your problem, and not mess around with stuff that might not help.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not sold on the sugar method, but whatever floats your boat.
It's super cheap & works great, however, it can be fairly abrasive if you use too much. Mixed w/ a good carrier oil is ideal. It also helps slightly in removing facial hair.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Nah, I would rather do my touch up stuff at home .

And I do use coconut oil, but the problem is that coconut oil freezes over here in the winter if exposed and so my use is only limited from April-October. In India, we used it on a daily basis and I never had any problem with my skin (Face and body).
If you scoop some of the "frozen" coconut oil out of the jar, it will melt with your body heat. It solidifies, it doesn't freeze. It's usable year round.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I agree you should see a dermatologist. There may be an underlying condition. I had never had skin issues but all of sudden my skin became so dry it was shedding off. I also had a lot of dandruff. I went to the dermatologist and was dx with dermatitis. I was put on some meds and rx shampoo. I also used this lotion which is very cheap called vani cream which also helped. I am not sure if you would use it on your face though. Over time my skin got a lot better and now I don't use an rx meds. You also may want to look at your diet. I know I was encouraged to add flax and fish oil supplements.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I used to have that problem. Had my thyroid checked, went on meds, and no more dry skin!

Try the other stuff if you want but IF nothing works the problem isn't topical, it's internal.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 AM

52 posts, read 77,390 times
I would say see a dermatologist first, if it's a major issue. If you think it's more minor, like weather related. I would maybe see an aesthetician from a skin care place. It could be that you're just using the wrong type of products for your skin, as seasons change, so does your skin.

I moved from south to north. I definitely noticed a difference in my skin. I was eating the same, but the winter weather and being inside more often made my skin dryer. My skin was a big fan of humidity moving from the deep south. I went to a good skin care place and let them make some recommendations. I tweaked my products accordingly. It really helped.

Note though, some places are into just pushing their product lines, ask about the ingredients, you might find something cheaper and just as good else where.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 AM

13 posts, read 9,670 times
I would suggest to book an appointment with a dermatologist, He will provide specific instructions to follow!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
Use Lightening Cream Products to Fade & Lighten Skin Blemishes & Scars ... Once the product has dried onto the skin, apply a sunscreen of SPF 30 ... Remove all the makeup prior to applying any paste or cream on your facial skin. ... It would make the lighter part even more light which would make ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty