Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

For instance if there's a thread about men removing body hair, wearing makeup, caring about fashion, about their body in general, many women seem disdainful and judgemental about it.

I mean ask yourself, who made these things 'feminine' to begin with? Human society did, there's nothing innately feminine about that. In some cultures it is actually men who wear makeup, and in the animal world it's usually males who are the more eye-catching, colourful, 'pretty' gender (think peacocks.etc).

I think there are too many men who buy into the idea that fashion and appearances and looking beautiful is a female domain. This restricted 1950s view of the world will change one day, everything changes. I guess I feel women here at least seem very conservative in terms of their idea of male beauty. Basically men should be 'men' with the very narrow man-made definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34004780-post109.html Pretty much this

Homophobia could also be a big reason

Last edited by pythonis; 03-28-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Well it's more than wanting a man with a 'softer' side, even women who want a man who is inwardly sensitive seem really against the idea of him adopting things which are traditionally ('traditionally' as in the last say 150 years of thousands of years of human history) feminine.

Last edited by The Postman; 03-28-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I don't personally care what men do with their appearance (some of them could do a much better job with it), but I guess when it comes to men that women date, they don't want to wonder if they're dealing with some guy who is in the closet because he has feminine qualities.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,453 times
For me, it all just depends. I don't have an issue with a guy being a little softer or emotional but I do not like it when men start acting just like women. I know a guy that is working out but has shaved all his leg/chest hair and personally it freaks me out. Whenever I see young girls swoon over real effeminate men like Edward from Twilight I just

That being said, I do think women need to be more understanding about guys that aren't really into showing their feelings and such, we can't have it both ways.

Also, lots of men don't like it when women act to "manly". Not to be confused with being strong and independent but in having the same kind of language/mannerisms/crass that lots of guys have. My daughter is a strong independent young woman but still feminine and doesn't curse like a sailor or joke/talk like other guys and her bf loves her for it.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
For me, it all just depends. I don't have an issue with a guy being a little softer or emotional but I do not like it when men start acting just like women. I know a guy that is working out but has shaved all his leg/chest hair and personally it freaks me out. Whenever I see young girls swoon over real effeminate men like Edward from Twilight I just

That being said, I do think women need to be more understanding about guys that aren't really into showing their feelings and such, we can't have it both ways.

Also, lots of men don't like it when women act to "manly". Not to be confused with being strong and independent but in having the same kind of language/mannerisms/crass that lots of guys have. My daughter is a strong independent young woman but still feminine and doesn't curse like a sailor or joke/talk like other guys and her bf loves her for it.
Well I think we should start questioning what is 'for women' or 'men.' Goes without saying women were born with underarm, leg hair .etc, so one could say women who shave are trying to be like children. Yes, I admit that conversely most men aren't really cool with women NOT shaving (I actually don't mind) but if women find body hair so gross on themselves it's odd they are so against men following suit. It's all just social conditioning, really. Yes men are naturally on average hairier, but there are individual variations, and shaving and all that manicuring sort of exaggerates these differences. Same with things like makeup, hairstyles. If you put a male and a female cave person together the differences would be less pronounced, aside from the male's beard of course...

Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For instance if there's a thread about men removing body hair, wearing makeup, caring about fashion, about their body in general, many women seem disdainful and judgemental about it.

I mean ask yourself, who made these things 'feminine' to begin with? Human society did, there's nothing innately feminine about that. In some cultures it is actually men who wear makeup, and in the animal world it's usually males who are the more eye-catching, colourful, 'pretty' gender (think peacocks.etc).

I think there are too many men who buy into the idea that fashion and appearances and looking beautiful is a female domain. This restricted 1950s view of the world will change one day, everything changes. I guess I feel women here at least seem very conservative in terms of their idea of male beauty. Basically men should be 'men' with the very narrow man-made definition.

The same reason most men don't like women to be masculine.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
God, Postman, are you having another one of your gender crises?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM

^ No just questioning assumptions.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The same reason most men don't like women to be masculine.
you obviously dont live in the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty