Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago and I was thrilled to get carded at 48 until I realized they could not complete the transaction until they swiped my drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,324 times
Getting carded isn't hard to take ~ when I was 29 ~ a few days after being diagnosed with "old man's disease, arthritis) I was NOT carded in Reno, but just told I had to be 21 to play the slots and told to leave. But I'm still being carded at 68~ being carded is the law no mater what Velvet Jones says. Wish people like that were just banned from decent places as they seem to think they are above others.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times
I love it when at the age of 43 I have to show my ID to someone who is half my age

Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM

249 posts, read 424,589 times
I was "carded" just recently, trying to buy a single bottle of Belgian beer at age 36, and was refused because I wasn't carrying any government-issued papers with my birth date on them. I took my business elsewhere rather than go home and get my passport.

I don't understand you folks who are happy to be carded -- they're not complimenting you on looking young; they're obeying an increasingly-totalitarian, zero-tolerance state that demands that people carry government-issued papers for something as innocuous as drinking a beer.

It's only humorous until your very-visibly-over-21 self is denied service.

Stores that have policies of carding anyone and everyone should be boycotted. Worse yet are the stores that demand to card everyone in the purchaser's party -- meaning that even if you've got your precious papers on you, you have to ask your friends if they're carrying theirs and have the non-papers members surreptitiously split off from you.

I've lived in the German-speaking world (the home of beer) and in Japan for many years. I've never been carded even a single time in these places. And these are two countries with nothing like the history of personal freedom that America likes to take pride in. In this case, the US could learn from its former enemies.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I don't understand you folks who are happy to be carded -- they're not complimenting you on looking young; they're obeying an increasingly-totalitarian, zero-tolerance state that demands that people carry government-issued papers for something as innocuous as drinking a beer.

If I'm with a group of people and I'm the only one getting carded then that is the bees knees right there.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 5,477,454 times
I was 31 and it was at a beer garden.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
I was pity-carded at 43. My husband got carded (he was wearing shorts, t-****, and baseball cap) and the guy who carded him couldn't believe that my husband was actually 44. My husband then turned around and started taunting me so the guy then said, what the heck, let me see your id, too. So, yeah, I'd call it a pity-carding. Ha! Where I live, I'm carded all the time because of the laws. Doesn't bother me at all.

Wow, the word was s-h-i-r-t

Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
54, buying wine at the grocery store ... I texted my sister about it which is the only reason I remember. It was this past December. I told my sister it was my Christmas present. I obviously look WAY WAY WAY over 21, but the clerk said they card anyone they think might be <40. I'll take it!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM

249 posts, read 424,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A couple of weeks ago and I was thrilled to get carded at 48 until I realized they could not complete the transaction until they swiped my drivers license.
Blueherons, could they have been pulling a fast one on you with this? There's no way that a liquor shop has the capability to "swipe" every possible kind of identification, up to and including passports from foreign countries. Unless they want to run everything through a scanner (and, in doing so, have a record of the names of everyone who buys alcohol from them, which would be absolutely terrifying.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times
I still get carded and I'm in my 40s. It's been awhile since I tried to buy alcohol and I think the signs say they card anybody <35. I'm not sure if that's everywhere though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty