Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM

98 posts, read 95,425 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 and I always get carded. Most people think I'm in middle or high school when they look at me. So I think I'll be getting carded for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM

99,563 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I was "carded" just recently, trying to buy a single bottle of Belgian beer at age 36, and was refused because I wasn't carrying any government-issued papers with my birth date on them. I took my business elsewhere rather than go home and get my passport.

I don't understand you folks who are happy to be carded -- they're not complimenting you on looking young; they're obeying an increasingly-totalitarian, zero-tolerance state that demands that people carry government-issued papers for something as innocuous as drinking a beer.

It's only humorous until your very-visibly-over-21 self is denied service.

Stores that have policies of carding anyone and everyone should be boycotted. Worse yet are the stores that demand to card everyone in the purchaser's party -- meaning that even if you've got your precious papers on you, you have to ask your friends if they're carrying theirs and have the non-papers members surreptitiously split off from you.

I've lived in the German-speaking world (the home of beer) and in Japan for many years. I've never been carded even a single time in these places. And these are two countries with nothing like the history of personal freedom that America likes to take pride in. In this case, the US could learn from its former enemies.
Amen! I'm so tired of this shrug it off attitude of "well, that's just the way it is. What can you do". This would've never been tolerated by most Americans just a few years ago. We've become a nation of sheep willing to pull out our papers for anyone who asks.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Never saw this coming.
This was posted in fashion/beauty and it became a political topic.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Yes you can. No one forced them to take the job. Any idiot that cards me gets berated by me. If you are too stupid to tell someone that is in the late 40s is well over the age of 18 or 21 then your are too stupid to be treated with any respect. Also, don't give me the "they're just following orders" crap. If you don't being like being made a fool of yourself for a minimum wage job then find something else.
I don't agree with that at all. It may be a job that fits in with their class schedule or taking care of children.....and the employee doesn't make the rules and to abuse someone simply because they are working in a store or restaurant is...well...flat out wrong and say more about you then a person in a minimum wage job. (Also, most servers, make more than that.)

Now, I do think carding someone that obviously looks over 40 is ridiculous and can be embarrassing to the patron. Unlike the OP, I know they are not being complementary, so I have spoken to managers about such stupid rules, but to berate an employee for something out of their control...wow.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I do my job and obey the law. You being my friend wont mean a hill of beans to my employer and i dare say youre not going to provide for me if you cause me to lose my job due to your pride. Be an adult, show your ID, and get over it.
Your critical thinking skills are astounding. Do you also card yourself when buying booze? After all, your age might have suddenly changed without you knowing it.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Your critical thinking skills are astounding. Do you also card yourself when buying booze? After all, your age might have suddenly changed without you knowing it.
Employees in most retail locations are not allowed to ring up their own purchases....so you are building a strawman argument to try and support your abusive behavior towards others. Not very smart.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I still get carded and I'm in my 40's. In fact, last week I was carded buying a bottle of wine.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:12 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
That doesnt make a lick of sense.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Probably around 30.....

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I typically get carded. I am 35. It is happening a little less often in restaurants these days. But at least once this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty