Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Waist Hip Ratio has no relationship to "fat." There are people who just don't have a lot of waist definition. Typically gymnasts, runners, and most Hollywood actresses actually fail your WHR test, and those people tend to be pretty slim.....

I'll use a good example here:
Lolo Jones: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...lolo-jones.jpg

I doubt her WHR is lower than .8.

On the flip side, some people, even those who are pretty chubby, can have the "right" WHR if they happen to have the right bone structure.
Good example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Women did exercise especially the stars, not like now with all the gyms right enough but Ive seen marilyn, Joan Crawford Doris Day and some others swimming diving, doing cartwheels and one with joan crawford doing weights... there wasnt the equipment of today but they still did exercises. Downsizing: Joan Crawford says get off your ass — Project Q Atlanta Pictures & Photos from Lullaby of Broadway (1951) - IMDb

SEBASTIAN
The link you provided has Joan Crawford on a rowing machine and the other picture with dumbbells is not a picture of Joan Crawford. Just because they staged a few pictures of celebraties diving into a pool or sitting on a reowing machine doesn't mean they exercised. Before 1970, it would have been rare to see a woman running or lifting weights. In fact, it would have been rare to see a man over college age running. Today, virtually all celebraties have personal trainers and many take exercising seriously.

People were less overweight in those days not because of exercise but because they ate less and did more routine manual labor. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, fat consumption by people in the United States has declined during the past decades, but calorie expenditure has gone down as well. Adults are not burning the calories they are consuming, and as a result, obesity rates increased by 214 percent between 1950 and 2000. Two out of every three people in the U.S. were obese or overweight in 2010.

While more people are overweight today, there are many more people exercising than in the 1950s or 1960s, especially women and older men. Today, virtually all celebraties have personal trainers and many take exercising seriously as seen below.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-02-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
If you look down at your feet when nude and your stomach protrudes, even a little, you're fat.
well, there are women that exist with surprisingly flat stomaches and got thick legs and a fat jiggly ass

what do you call them

Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM

144 posts, read 184,810 times
FAT is eating improperly and with an unhealthy approach to food. Thus resulting in being overweight.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
FAT is eating improperly and with an unhealthy approach to food. Thus resulting in being overweight.
There are tons of thin or average sized people with atrocious diets out there.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
well, there are women that exist with surprisingly flat stomaches and got thick legs and a fat jiggly ass

what do you call them
its usually the amount of fat in ones belly that makes them say theyre fat. If someone has jiggly butt they wont say "im fat" theyll just say something like "i need to tone my butt".

The saying of "im fat" is pretty much a belly thing.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
i still trying to figure out how a 5 foot 5 person weighing 118 pounds ( MM) can be considered fat. No wonder women get eating disorders...lol

Old 04-01-2014, 02:51 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
All those women in those pictures except Halle are way too skinny for my taste. Ribs showing and hip bones showing is way to skinny. Even Halle looks like she could use a hamburger.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
The women in those pics look fit. Old school, athletic, no fat showing fit.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times
The women in those pics are about as slim as I like to see. Once certain body parts gets really small or bones become very prominent, it literally makes me uncomfortable to look at that person just like it makes some uncomfortable to look at someone who is 500lbs (which also makes me uncomfortable but for a different reason).

Very thin/bony people, especially when tall, make me uneasy because their proportions are odd and spindly and I feel like something is going to snap when they move, things just look off to me. Very large people (I'm talking morbidly obese) make me uneasy because I feel like they're going to drop dead at any moment. Both are very visceral reactions I've always had independent of anything society says and long before I was exposed to any media. Guess I was born a moderate lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty