Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 PM

148 posts, read 262,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Remember that you are having an artist put their artwork on your body. It's their talent on display not yours. Choose your artist carefully. You're a walking advertisement for their talent and work so don't let Derek the local Pot Dealer "try out some new ideas" on your canvas(body).
This is the TRUTH! Have you seen the show Inkmaster? Great show for anyone interested in tattooing or even just art and design. It really teaches you the qualities of good vs bad tattooing and there are a LOT of bad tattoos out there!

I think most people who regret their tattoos don't regret the tattoos themselves but the subject matter or quality of the work. OP only you can decide if you should get that sleeve or not. Frankly I like bigger pieces, that is if you're really committed. I think the new-tatt-every-time-I-get-a-spare-hundred-bucks look can get trashy really fast. Better to have one cohesive well-designed beautiful professional piece than a mish mash. Of course, you can start out with a small element of the master design to make sure it's right for you. (My grandad - he had a star on his forearm. He said it was supposed to be a woman holding up a star, but it hurt so much he could only get the star!)

People will also tell you that you can't have a career with tattoos but this is bull and dependent very much on the person. We don't know you so who is to say? If you want to go into investment banking then you probably don't want to get a sleeve. My SIL however is a very successful hair stylist (creative field) and has customers FLOCKING to her because they love her style. She has LOTs of tattoos - hand and neck tattoos - people can say that they look a certain way but they can't say it's affected her income at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Before you get the tattoo, print it out--several copies of it. Post it on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, the dashboard of your car, the monitor screen on your computer. Basically, post a copy of it everywhere you go, so that you look at it almost every minute of every day. Make it your screensaver on your phone, your computer/tablet, etc. If, after 6 months, you still like it without wanting to change it, then go ahead and get it. Odds are, you'd want to change it, or pick a different one in those six months.

Basically, what I'm say is: DON'T get a tattoo. I knew a guy who was in the Navy about 35 years back: all of his tattoos turned blue and smeary and he was VERY embarrassed about how stupid he was to have gotten them, as his attitude in life had changed somewhat.

On the other hand. . . who am I to tell you what to do. . . so go ahead if you want.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
My (unpopular) opinion is don't get it. The vast majority of tattoos are just clip art quality.

Some tattoos are nicer than others but they all look like clip art to me. Most people look like a walking clip art catalog; a rose here, a name there, a tiger, a face, another rose, a date, ad nauseam. All at different angles, different perspectives, different styles of art with no cohesive design applied to the entire canvas, the body.

The black ink is so awful, in the art world hardly anyone actually uses black, they create black with combinations of other colors, so it's an automatic dislike for me. I understand that the limitations of tattooing don't allow blending to that degree. So it's an imperfect art, nothing I would engage in.

If one wishes to have name, dates, faces, creatures, flowers and such then why not just put it on paper and start a collection.
Lmao I agree with you to some extent. There are some horrible tattoos out there and it's often all squeezed into one space often not flowing together and not having the same artistic approach. I personally don't see myself getting more than 2 tats. One to cover up a birthmark(that looks hideous to me) and the other to mark something that significantly changed me that would do better on a different body part from where my birthmark is. After that I'm done. Both however will be in black ink lol. I'm black and I personally feel like brighter colors won't look right on me. and the one color I would want to use is often associated with allergic reactions and slower healing time.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Before you get the tattoo, print it out--several copies of it. Post it on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, the dashboard of your car, the monitor screen on your computer. Basically, post a copy of it everywhere you go, so that you look at it almost every minute of every day. Make it your screensaver on your phone, your computer/tablet, etc. If, after 6 months, you still like it without wanting to change it, then go ahead and get it. Odds are, you'd want to change it, or pick a different one in those six months.

Basically, what I'm say is: DON'T get a tattoo. I knew a guy who was in the Navy about 35 years back: all of his tattoos turned blue and smeary and he was VERY embarrassed about how stupid he was to have gotten them, as his attitude in life had changed somewhat.

On the other hand. . . who am I to tell you what to do. . . so go ahead if you want.
His tattoos randomly turned blue and smeary? Tattoos do need to be touched up... Depending on the color and location. For my particular tattoo that I will be getting it will need to be touches up every 10 years. It's also small(smaller than the palm of my hand) and on my back where no one would see it but me... Tattoos require maintanence though... Sounds like he didnt keep up with his.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Yikes, but to each his or her own.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You must live in an area where there are a ton of crappy tattoo artists.
I don't know, most of the tattoos I see (granted these are just on people walking around and seeing what they got) look pretty crappy. I'd say the more rare event is to see art on someones body that is actually well done. That being said, if the "art" is in a provocative place near boobs, above the butt, upper thighs, etc and the girl is half-way decent looking who cares, it looks good.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I don't know, most of the tattoos I see (granted these are just on people walking around and seeing what they got) look pretty crappy. I'd say the more rare event is to see art on someones body that is actually well done. That being said, if the "art" is in a provocative place near boobs, above the butt, upper thighs, etc and the girl is half-way decent looking who cares, it looks good.
I have seen some lousy tattoos, but I have also seen some incredibly beautiful ones. I think it depends on where you are and who you know.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Lmao I agree with you to some extent. There are some horrible tattoos out there and it's often all squeezed into one space often not flowing together and not having the same artistic approach. I personally don't see myself getting more than 2 tats. One to cover up a birthmark(that looks hideous to me) and the other to mark something that significantly changed me that would do better on a different body part from where my birthmark is. After that I'm done. Both however will be in black ink lol. I'm black and I personally feel like brighter colors won't look right on me. and the one color I would want to use is often associated with allergic reactions and slower healing time.
Generally speaking, black ink tattoos are preferable on people with darker skin because the colors really don't show up as nicely as they do on people with pale skin. The paler the skin, the more vivid the tattoos appear, of course.

What color were you thinking of using?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Generally speaking, black ink tattoos are preferable on people with darker skin because the colors really don't show up as nicely as they do on people with pale skin. The paler the skin, the more vivid the tattoos appear, of course.

What color were you thinking of using?
Red. And I've observed the same thing in general a lot of colors that look great on pale skin don't look as noticeable on black skin(depending on the design). I like red though and think its vivid enough on my skin tone(Carmel) but have red more alerts and disclaimers about that color more than any and knowing that my skin is already sensitive I'm passing on it and sticking with black.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Even the "nice" and "good" tattoos still look like clip art. It just is not an art on the level that I appreciate. Simply because it is an imperfect art with limitations. Some of the people that do the tattoos are a bit artistic, but those who have talent can do so much more in other mediums. So you are always left with those who do not proceed to the next level. I know some people think that there are talented artists that do this, but honestly, it is still clip art with it's limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty