Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! I compliment hair, perfume, purse, jewelry, shoes, jackets, tops, jeans...whatever strikes me as something outstanding. People always react positively and sometimes start up a conversation. Why not give people that little extra lift that may make a difference in their day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Yes, usually for their perfume, if I like it. I can then find out the name of it so I can try it on myself.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yes, usually for their perfume, if I like it. I can then find out the name of it so I can try it on myself.
That would be too intimate for me ..
To a female it would be weird, and to a male a bit too personal...

Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That would be too intimate for me ..
To a female it would be weird, and to a male a bit too personal...
explain how this would be weird or personal, please.

Also, id think that the makers of the perfume would want this kind of stuff to happen (more sales).

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I do it to women at my Gym in full weightlifting gear, showing off power .

Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
explain how this would be weird or personal, please.

Also, id think that the makers of the perfume would want this kind of stuff to happen (more sales).
For me, telling someone that they smell good is different than telling them that they
have a nice handbag or shoes...

It seems flirtatious to me, which is fine in the right setting ...

Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
For me, telling someone that they smell good is different than telling them that they
have a nice handbag or shoes...

It seems flirtatious to me, which is fine in the right setting ...
LOL well im sure if they growl first then tell you that you smell good and then wink then that could be considered flirtatious.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
One thing that is interesting to me is that I see women give other women compliments all the time on clothes and accessories. I also fairly frequently (though not as frequent as woman to woman) see guys give compliments to women and I do it occasionally to because I do like to pay attention to fashion.

After that I will say that I rarely ever see guys complimenting other guys. For starters, a lot of guys just are not interested or don't pay attention, and then many that do feel weird complimenting another guy.

However, what I think it strange is that I rarely see women complimenting well-dressed men. For example with me: a few of my close female friends will compliment me on the way I dress but that is about it. But, my wife will come home and tell me that so-and-so told me she loved the way I dressed or someone really liked my shoes or someone wanted to know where I got my watch because they were interested in getting one for their husband etc. These are women I see and know but they don't compliment me directly but rather tell my wife.

Are women less comfortable complimenting a man about fashion?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
One thing that is interesting to me is that I see women give other women compliments all the time on clothes and accessories. I also fairly frequently (though not as frequent as woman to woman) see guys give compliments to women and I do it occasionally to because I do like to pay attention to fashion.

After that I will say that I rarely ever see guys complimenting other guys. For starters, a lot of guys just are not interested or don't pay attention, and then many that do feel weird complimenting another guy.

However, what I think it strange is that I rarely see women complimenting well-dressed men. For example with me: a few of my close female friends will compliment me on the way I dress but that is about it. But, my wife will come home and tell me that so-and-so told me she loved the way I dressed or someone really liked my shoes or someone wanted to know where I got my watch because they were interested in getting one for their husband etc. These are women I see and know but they don't compliment me directly but rather tell my wife.

Are women less comfortable complimenting a man about fashion?
Ive been complimented by guys and vice versa usually when im wearing a really cool shirt or something but its few and far between. For me, i like to compliment women because i notice and am fond of women's fashions more so than men's. Plus, guys will just mumble a thanks while a woman will sometimes strike up a conversation and tell you where she got and what you can match with it. Guys wont do stuff like that.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Yes I do, everyday.
And, conversely I get compliments, just as often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty