Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should I start wearing flip flops or stick to gym shoes?
Sneakers 10 41.67%
Flip Flops 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Some guys should just keep their knarly toes covered, Lol
See to me thats like when a woman gets mad at guys for looking at their chests. Why are you looking at my chest? Well, why are you looking at my feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
As long as your feet are clean/healthy and nails well trimmed, flip flops are fine for casual situations.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
What does age have to do with not wanting to look at someone's feet?
Do not look if you do not want to, does someone hold a gun to your head and force you to look? Posture problems when you walk that forces you start at the ground? Low self esteem where you walk with your head down in shame?

Age comes into play because it is mostly older people (along with many people of all ages from more prudish areas) to have some strange issue with flip flops and sandals. And I see these tourists every day here in Miami, sweating looking like they are about to drop from the heat and humidity, dressed head to tow in sneakers, blue jeans, and a polo with an undershirt, and they wonder why they are sweating like a pig.

As for the OP;

I think sneakers jsut look goofy unless you are at the gym or going for a run, or in some exercise type attire. I have no idea why people like wearing the large sneaker thing, look like protective cushions wrapped around your feet, ridiculous, add an extra dork point of they are white, and another dork point of they have abnormally large cushioning material. A nice set of flip flops or sandlas are nice and refined looking, makes it look like you know how to dress for reasons beyond utility.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
your gf is right , the flip flops look better with shorts. keep your toes trimmed and all and wear flip flops with shorts

Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You know from time to time men write to complain that women don't dress well enough or show enough leg to suit them. Why don't they dress better so they can enjoy looking? Well that cuts both ways. I realize after I read your question, how tired I get during the summer of seeing grown men wearing baggy shorts, and flip flops. I mean, how many hairy legs do I have to look at all summer? I don't dare look too hard at the feet; goodness knows if they are are respectable.

And even though I try hard not to judge, when I see a grown man in baggy athletic shorts, socks and beach slides, I groan inwardly. Are these guys trying to look awful? Don't they see themselves?

And to give women equal billing, there are plenty of my gender out there in awful combinations that include flip flops. But usually the women at least have pedicures and shaved legs.

I don't have a real opinion about your flip flops, except to say perhaps you could find some better shoes with clothes that go with them. I don't think flip flops will make you look taller. That's absurd. But wearing athletic shoes all the time is not necessary either.

Instead of he flip flops, how about some nice fishermen's sandals? Cool and better looking than flip flops.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I also don't care for flip flops. Maybe a different gym shoe would work better then the ones in the picture?
Why not go into lets say Nordstrom's which has a large shoe section and browse or ask a salesperson for some suggestions

Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM

36 posts, read 86,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think sneakers jsut look goofy unless you are at the gym or going for a run, or in some exercise type attire. I have no idea why people like wearing the large sneaker thing, look like protective cushions wrapped around your feet, ridiculous, add an extra dork point of they are white, and another dork point of they have abnormally large cushioning material. A nice set of flip flops or sandlas are nice and refined looking, makes it look like you know how to dress for reasons beyond utility.
Good point. Nobody wears gloves with t-shirts....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know from time to time men write to complain that women don't dress well enough or show enough
I don't have a real opinion about your flip flops, except to say perhaps you could find some better shoes with clothes that go with them. I don't think flip flops will make you look taller. That's absurd. But wearing athletic shoes all the time is not necessary either.

Instead of he flip flops, how about some nice fishermen's sandals? Cool and better looking than flip flops.
I ask my gf what she thought of those (fisherman sandals), she said they were in style 10-15 years ago but flip flops are "in" now. They are not bad looking though.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I also don't care for flip flops. Maybe a different gym shoe would work better then the ones in the picture?
Why not go into lets say Nordstrom's which has a large shoe section and browse or ask a salesperson for some suggestions
Might be a good idea. I've been told that all white look best but they must be a pain to keep clean. There has to be another color that would match khaki colored shorts.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I agree the humongous super padded sneakers on bare feet (or no show socked feet) look like clown shoes but wear whatever you want. I also like to think that mens shorts come in colors other than khaki. I dont wear boat shoes, topsiders, fishermans sandals, etc because i feel like some rich snob on his way to go yachting.

Either way, wear what youre comfortable with. Who cares if something went out of style? Youre not in high school anymore, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty