Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

I used to attend a black salon, and I occasionally saw white and non-black women receive hair services there. They just got layers cut in- nothing too complicated. Looked liked the stylists had an easy time doing their hair to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 PM

779 posts, read 632,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheronthewall View Post
Where I am from you would not be welcome as a white girl in a black salon. I wouldn't even attempt it.

That being said I did walk up to a Carol's Daughter counter at a Macy's in NYC one day and was called a cracker and laughed at. I guess they thought stupid white girl checking out a black hair care line. But I had previously purchased some of the Carol Daughter's line from Sephora, which is why I was checking it out. I knew it was a black hair care line, but just wanted to ****ing smell some ****.
That is crappy customer service. Screw them. I would simply recommend things that work for your skin and if there were hair products that wouldn't screw up your look, I would recommend that too. What a-holes!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
I went to a "black" barbershop one time. That guy messed my hair up bad, and I have about the easiest haircut ever. Shaved my sideburns off soooo high haha.

I went into a wal-mart one with all black women working one time in Alabama. I ended up leaving before getting my hair cut. They were very, very rude. Looked at me about 5 times before even acknowledging me..

Those are my only two experiences and they were both negative.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,787 times
My daughter and I (Caucasian) both have thick thick wavy/curly hair.

We both wanted to get braids before we went to the beach so we didn't have to deal with
or worry about our hair, so we went to a salon owned by and catering to the black community.

We loved our braids! We went back quite a few times after the braiding for haircuts, and no
one has cut or styled our hair better. Unfortunately, we moved, but we are going to try
out another salon like this.

Yes, any beautician is taught how to cut/style all types of hair in school, but working at a salon where the specialize in thick/coarse/curly/wavy hair, those stylists have more practice and expertise for that type of hair which we both have.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 PM

362 posts, read 543,788 times
When I was little, the first hairstylist I ever had was a black woman. This was back in the days of Diana Ross, Lola Falana and Diahann Carroll. The stylist reminded me a little bit of all of them. I thought she was soooo glamorous, and she was really nice. I loved her.

My girlfriend takes her caucasian daughter to a black salon. The girl's hair is so thick, my friend says that only the black salons know how to deal with it properly.

Personally, I would go to any salon that does a good job. Ethnicity is not important to me. It's skill that counts.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
When I get my natural hair straightened, I go to Paul Mitchell student salon. Women of all races are there...

Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 PM

151 posts, read 162,188 times
I have been to a couple of them about 4 separate times when I was stationed in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina....Boy, I had the best haircuts & styles ever from them, but the wait was a VERY long time. They sure like taking a LOT of time on each customer & talk a LOT too!! But it was worth the wait....

Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 578 times
Im a white woman in Ga wanting to have my short hair longer, Is it ok to see a black stylist to have it done, or should I see someone else. I honestly dont want to offend anyone if i walked asking for extensions. Im just tired of my hair being short and tooo impatient a waiting for it to grow back.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 PM

15 posts, read 13,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I wondered this at one time too. After all, a black person's hair is much different than a white person's. So obviously we would think that when a black person trains to cut hair they focus on learning how to cut and style black hair.

I asked a black person this (while apologizing over and over for anything that sounded racist) and he said that the stylists learn hair. All types, sizes, textures...white, black, chinese, mexican, young, old...doesnt matter. They learn it all. So they CAN cut your hair.

Question is how comfortable will each party be. Just think of it as a business deal and everything should be fine. Never know, you just might get the best haircut ever.

Doesn't matter, IF the blk or hispanic latino or any race know what they are doing. I work for a salon many years, and i've worked on White/Blk both, Asian, Hispanic,Indian. Didn't matter at all to me, who came in. And many were repeat customer's so i was happy about that."

Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 PM

15 posts, read 13,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeArizonaBabe View Post
I have been to a couple of them about 4 separate times when I was stationed in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina....Boy, I had the best haircuts & styles ever from them, but the wait was a VERY long time. They sure like taking a LOT of time on each customer & talk a LOT too!! But it was worth the wait....

YEP. All about chit-chat (sometimes)which is fun, no negative gossip though,where i was and i am not blk at all. Italian. and i loved it... Well worth it i was told at the end again working on blk hispanic all races also i did natural looking weave/extensions,micro braid,regular nice lovely beads in cornrows, to box braids et.al., and i loved it. Was a salon hair dresser almost a decade from early 20s to 3 to 4 yrs ago, (in my thirties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty