Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,898,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Stay away from Dominican owned salons esp if you do not want fried hair.
Dominicans are considered the best in the salon & hair care business. With the Dominican Republic being such a diverse & very mixed population they deal with so many different textures & types of hair, so that helps give them expertise.

Each individual is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,061 times
There was an episode on What Would You Do about this very thing. Very interesting. I would go to a salon though.

Why are the windows always covered up with posters and pictures? Thats what I want to know.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,614,409 times
When I lived in Atlanta the majority of the barber shops around my area serviced primarily black men. More often than not, I would get my hair cut by a black barber. With the exception of one barber (out of probably 20 or so over the years), the guys who cut my hair did a TERRIBLE job. Most don't even have the standard tools barbers use to cut "white" hair -- the barbers were really nice and did their best to cut my hair how I asked for it, but it was just too different than what they normally work with. I'm not really picky about my hair, which is why I kept trying out different barbers, but based on that experience I would not recommend going to a black salon. If I had that much trouble as a man, I can only imagine what kind of style a woman would get.

I agree with the other posters who say that it's probably even worse for a black man or woman getting their hair done by a white stylist.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
When I lived in Atlanta the majority of the barber shops around my area serviced primarily black men. More often than not, I would get my hair cut by a black barber. With the exception of one barber (out of probably 20 or so over the years), the guys who cut my hair did a TERRIBLE job. Most don't even have the standard tools barbers use to cut "white" hair -- the barbers were really nice and did their best to cut my hair how I asked for it, but it was just too different than what they normally work with. I'm not really picky about my hair, which is why I kept trying out different barbers, but based on that experience I would not recommend going to a black salon. If I had that much trouble as a man, I can only imagine what kind of style a woman would get.

I agree with the other posters who say that it's probably even worse for a black man or woman getting their hair done by a white stylist.
What kind of tools did they have? That doesn't make sense to me. Did they have clippers? They must have had clippers. Even if they didn't have scissors they could cut longer hair with a comb and clippers.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM

28,623 posts, read 18,677,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What kind of tools did they have? That doesn't make sense to me. Did they have clippers? They must have had clippers. Even if they didn't have scissors they could cut longer hair with a comb and clippers.
The difference in texture makes a huge difference and cutting techniques are totally different--even many of the tools are different. You don't, for instance, use thinning shears on tightly curly hair, nor can you do layered cuts on tightly curled hair.

Even if they had originally learned to cut various kinds of hair in school, experience and practice obviously counts. "I did that in school ten years ago" versus "I do those every day."

Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,898,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wake me up when I watch Latin and South American media, and the Latinos that look like me are newscasters or the romantic interests and in roles that aren't synonymous with maid/servant/help.

A lot of the time, if you don't look like J.Lo or Eva Mendes or Shakira, you are considered black till deemed otherwise. That's why the "kids" are owning it. They see the differences.

Colorism is global, unfortunately a lot of people are in denial.

Why is it that when we "picture" a "cuban" they all look like Eva Mendez and not more like Celia Cruz? When at least half of all the Cubans look more like Celia Cruz?
Yep. Most of Cuba is mulatto and black if you travel there.

And yeah the Latin media stations often do hire lighter toned and whiter and white people.

Even English speaking FOX News media has 100x more diversity than Latin media! Lol

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM

57 posts, read 381,627 times
Where I am from you would not be welcome as a white girl in a black salon. I wouldn't even attempt it.

That being said I did walk up to a Carol's Daughter counter at a Macy's in NYC one day and was called a cracker and laughed at. I guess they thought stupid white girl checking out a black hair care line. But I had previously purchased some of the Carol Daughter's line from Sephora, which is why I was checking it out. I knew it was a black hair care line, but just wanted to ****ing smell some ****.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheronthewall View Post
Where I am from you would not be welcome as a white girl in a black salon. I wouldn't even attempt it.

That being said I did walk up to a Carol's Daughter counter at a Macy's in NYC one day and was called a cracker and laughed at. I guess they thought stupid white girl checking out a black hair care line. But I had previously purchased some of the Carol Daughter's line from Sephora, which is why I was checking it out. I knew it was a black hair care line, but just wanted to ****ing smell some ****.
Where are you from?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM

877 posts, read 1,313,490 times
Well, black hair salons tend to carry hair products that cater to afro texture hair, not curly Caucasian hair. So I don't know why they would go, unless they were looking for maybe a "higher" end brand such as Shea Moisture, Carols Daughter, Mixed Chicks, Miss Jessies etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:25 PM

692 posts, read 1,001,944 times
Yes on occasion. When I've seen it happen other patrons are cordial but no one says very much to them or if the place is in a joking mood they're very quiet or in one case I remember makes inappropriate racial comments thinking it's the norm (saw Barbershop one too many times). I suspect there are twinges of resentment because outside of major metropolitan or very diverse areas there are usually very limited hair options for women of color or certain hair textures. Within those limited options to find someone good that you trust that won't wreck your hair is even tougher. It's a "you can go anywhere, why are you here?" sentiment. My stylist books up weeks in advanced and often has waitlists so appointments are like a golden ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty