Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

Interesting post.

I used to work with a number of women who had BRF (lol) too. People were always saying things like, "Smile," which may have really ticked them off. When they were speaking, however, their faces were animated, so maybe that's the solution: try to be more animated when you speak, then people may not notice your lack of expression when your face is at rest. Regardless, don't let this make you that self-conscious about what you look like.

Funny story about that same workplace: An older woman, who always had the most pleasant resting expression on her face was retiring, and I was taking up a collection for her. One guy in a neighboring department had a hard time remembering the woman in question, so I had to describe her appearance. Finally he said, "Oh I know--the lady who runs around all the time with a goofy smile on her face!"

Proof that, sometimes, you just can't win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
In another forum from long ago, I made a post about strangers telling me to smile. I was surprised at the number of people who saw nothing wrong with strangers doing that, whereas I think it's rude.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
In another forum from long ago, I made a post about strangers telling me to smile. I was surprised at the number of people who saw nothing wrong with strangers doing that, whereas I think it's rude.
I also think its rude. Especially with a stranger who knows nothing about you. They're just assuming that everything is great and you have no reason not to looking like a grinning idiot in public. For all they know you could have just lost your job, or your dog ran away... Or it could just be that you are by yourself and lost in thought and not even caring about what others think of you.

I also have the disadvantage of not being very talkative. So not only do I always have people telling me to smile or asking whats wrong, I also have people asking why I'm not talkative or why don't I talk as much as so-and-so...

Maybe I have BRF because I'm constantly annoyed at everyone thinking that there is something wrong with me and I need to change my personality.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Given that you think inspecting your hosts toilet paper, switching it fixating on it for years is not rude, I'd say your sense of what is rude is questionable.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:00 PM

624 posts, read 762,653 times
I am laughing so hard at this LMAO

I have the same ish, and never knew that is was a thing. I have always had people ask me what's wrong, or tell me to cheer up. I hate the strangers who tell me to smile, or say chit like "It's not so bad.." Hey d*ickhead, what if I just found out my Mom died? Eff yooo.

I guess I do have bitchface and ***** attitude. Oh well, lol

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
I don't know what to say about it other than try to proactively smile more when people are around?

I think it's mostly in the eyes. Always seem like it's that time of the month for them... the "don't you dare say the wrong thing to me or I'll rip your head off!" look.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yep, it's always so nice when people make assumptions about you without knowing you and/or without your ever having said one word to them!

I've had the opposite for pretty much my whole life. Because I was "pretty" a lot of people just assumed I was a ditzy fluffy-haired big-boobed bimbo, and a lot of people treated me that way. The older I got, the less tolerant I became of the assumption/treatment and I started calling people out on it (when they made comments or treated me in a condescending way). I probably SHOULD try to get a bitchy resting face!!!

I learned to use the bimbo thing to my advantage. In my professional capacity I am 100% more prepared than my opponent. I've found it's usually a male, and generally an older male, who will not be prepared because he assumed that I would not be prepared because I'm a bimbo. Of course, as I get older, I'm probably becoming less "bimbo-like" because, well ... I'm OLDER!!! Now it's probably more like "She's attractive for an older broad, but she sure is bitchy and angry!!!"

I wanna hang out with you, you sound like a lot of fun

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
When i look at pics from the 1800's nobody is smiling.

I wonder if this"everyone is supposed to smile crap" is a modern concept.

Celebrities are not exempt from this either.
Poor Kristen Stewart. I always hear people saying she needs to smile.
They aren't smiling because they had to hold really still due to the long exposure times the cameras had back in the day.

The more you know

Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Given that you think inspecting your hosts toilet paper, switching it fixating on it for years is not rude, I'd say your sense of what is rude is questionable.
ROFLMAO Between that video, the subject and above post, my stomach muscles are killing me!!! ��������

Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,025 times
I usually get people telling me this as well. I usually respond with "sorry that my looks offend you". They have nothing to say after that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty