Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM

77 posts, read 103,067 times

Advertisements

So how's this for contradictory feedback: I've been told I look either tired or furious when I'm neither. Yet people come up to me in stores asking if I happen to know where things are located. So I'm seen as scary but helpful...??

Here's an experiment that seems to yield consistent results: sometimes when I see an older woman who has a scary-looking RBF, I look her in the eyes and smile gently. They always smile back, a genuine lit-from-within smile. Always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,288,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh I know exactly what you're talking about! It's a genetic trait that has been handed down in our family and even has a name with us--they call it the "Fowler scowl." LOL. My uncle had it bad at 16 and I have a picture of him looking like a thug--didn't help that he had a unibrow besides. Fortunately I took after the other side of the family and it does seem to be dying out, though I'm sure it will show up again in another generation and everyone will be wondering where that came from. My sympathy is with you--my uncle is a rather pleasant man except when he's deep in thought.
Yep, I agree...definitely genetic! My mother had the two wrinkles above the nose where it looked like she was always ticked off. I also have it and when my first child was born they brought her into my room and it was like looking at the face of both my mother and myself. A newborn with a scowl

How's that for a family curse?

Not long ago I walked in to a Meijer and the greeter asked me what was wrong and I replied, nothing is wrong, why do you ask? "Are you sure? It looks like something is really bothering you!" And yes, it is usually when I am thinking (deep on thought or otherwise) and I am always thinking about something or other.

Images for show me a newborn with a scowling face

Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,789,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
They aren't smiling because they had to hold really still due to the long exposure times the cameras had back in the day.

The more you know
I am mostly talking about paintings.

I always thought it was due to Puritan views on smiling and laughing.

Also,the fact they did not have the teeth for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,401,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Given that you think inspecting your hosts toilet paper, switching it fixating on it for years is not rude, I'd say your sense of what is rude is questionable.
What I think about people who make negative judgments of others based on an insignificant post in an internet forum is worse than rude.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,501,334 times
I have asshole resting face. I get occasional comments asking what my problem is, because I look annoyed a lot, even though it's my default face. My eyebrows tend to look angry as well - I genuinely don't notice. I also sound rude, sarcastic and disinterested when I respond to people.

It's a good thing I laugh a lot, so my default face is usually not in display.. but when it does.. sheesh.. I never hear the end of it. Cheer up, they say - I am cheered up!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM

11,034 posts, read 9,664,503 times
Sometimes I look frowny just because I am deep in thought, and then some idiot stranger comes by and says "Smile, you look so sad". I really think it's rude to make comments about others' appearance, unless it's a compliment like "What a pretty necklace!". So now when someone makes a comment about my not smiling or why I look so down I deadpan them and say my dog just died. You should see the embarrassed looks and apologies! Next time they'll keep their unsolicited remarks to themselves.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,650,739 times
I have it.

I just look super serious by default.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,398,804 times
Apparently, I have it, too. No, I'm not angry. No, there isn't necessarily anything wrong. It would be ridiculous for me to walk around all the time with a huge grin on my face.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,162,447 times
I am called as the boy who cant smile, even by my own parents .

Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,347,747 times
I think it helps that I wear sunglasses all the time - strangers can not as easily read my BRF or NRF (neutral resting face) and then try to interact with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty