Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I have a change purse I purchased in college that I still use now for my laundry quarters. When I bought it, I remember it being cheap. And it was pleather. I got a matching purse. I got rid of the purse not too long ago because there was a big white mark, likely from scraping a wall. Otherwise it was in perfect condition, and it had been sitting in the closet for ages. I scored $10-12 when I took it to the consignment store. I doubt I paid more than $15 when I bought it.

So this coin purse was purchases in around 1997. It survived daily duty for a year or two. And light duty since then. Not a scratch on it.

Last time I visited my parents I saw my high school era fake doc martens from Payless I got for like $5. They still looked decent, with a bit of wear on the sole but they still had plenty of tread left. I wore those every other day for about a year or 18 months, and then once a week for another year or two...and then monthly after that. These shoes were from like 1992. And I am not "nice" to my shoes.

On the flip side a few years ago I bought a pair of Calvin Klein flats that didn't even last 6 months before the sole had a hole in it. What ever happened to quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
I'm 100% with you on this, I used to could buy a nice purse from a discount store like Marshalls and it would last me forever, not anymore, the last two purses I bought from them, I didn't get 6 months out of them before severe wear and tear was visible. That never happened to me in the past, not even if I purchased a purse from a JC Penny. Most of my clothing, still hold up well, but that also depends on where I purchase them from, never again, unless I want a one time wear will I buy from one very popular US store ON.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Even up until a few years ago, I bought quite a bit of casual clothing at WalMart, of all places. The clothes looked decent and lasted three or four years.

Now anything you buy there is suitable for nothing but cleaning the basement after one season.

Other stores that once were staples of my everyday wardrobe were Kohl's and Lands End. The quality of both has really gone downhill. I'm especially disappointed in Lands End shoes - they used to be reasonably priced, fit perfectly and wear for years, and now they're cheaply made, the soles are thin, and the fit is horrible. I can get what I want buying Merrill and Ahnu shoes, but they're much pricier than Lands End ever was.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I don't think that comparing fake Doc Martens and Calvin Klein flats is valid. They are two different sorts of shoes.

For me it is the prices of everything, and yes, the poor quality of many things. I've never been a big Kohl's shopper, but I have shopped Lands End for many years. The difference in sweaters is noticeable, I have to say. But Lands End and LL Bean are the best places for coats. Coats from those places continue to be very good quality for the price.

Purses are hard. I have never bought a purse at Kohl's or Penneys. I want only leather, or in some cases a quality fabric purse. What I have found is that leather purses have gone up quite a bit just in the last couple of years. I vowed a few years ago that I would not pay more than $100 for a leather purse, and the last one I picked up for that price came from Marshalls, and is a Pearlina. It is a nice purse. Since then, I haven't been able to find a serviceable $100 purse whether in an off price store or on sale. Of course, I no longer have access to Dillards, which tended to have markdowns on good leather purses fairly frequently. But I paid far, far more for my last winter purse. I found a summer purse last year for much less at T.J. Maxx, but I don't like it well enough to use for another year. I am finding that I need to pay around $150 or more for a good leather purse. Ouch!

Glasses! They have gone up tremendously.

Most popular priced clothing has declined in quality. This is called "fast fashion." The stuff is made quickly to mimic what celebrities are wearing, and then to wear out quickly, so you will buy another piece, also made to mimic whatever the latest trend is. I don't like it either.

Shoes. I have difficult feet. I began paying about $100 per pair about 20 years ago. I now often have to pay almost $200. And I am limited to a few brands, even from Zappos. You can get good quality shoes, but you have to be willing to pay. Under $50, and the shoe is not going to be very good. I find shoes to be the hardest things in my wardrobe to buy.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't think that comparing fake Doc Martens and Calvin Klein flats is valid. They are two different sorts of shoes.
Sure but I also have some Payless shoes, peep toe flats, from around 2004 that are still in my closet. I ended up with two pairs since they were so comfy. One ended up getting really beat up after 5 years. The other pair is a little worn, but still in better shape than those CK shoes I got. I had to trash those.

Quote:
Shoes. I have difficult feet. I began paying about $100 per pair about 20 years ago. I now often have to pay almost $200. And I am limited to a few brands, even from Zappos. You can get good quality shoes, but you have to be willing to pay. Under $50, and the shoe is not going to be very good. I find shoes to be the hardest things in my wardrobe to buy.
The under $50 rule isn't hard and fast anymore. I have bought $100 shoes that died faster than $20 ones I purchased at a discount store. I have had to write off many brands due to high prices and poor quality. Now it is a lot harder to tell. I have spend more on shoes and been really disappointed. Whereas others were amazing. Sadly, my favorite Kenneth Cole flats have been reformulated and no longer have the amazing padding. But previously I bought a few pairs that all survived 3+ years with 3x a week wear, and 3-4 miles of walking per day. Only 2 pairs are left, one is patent and less comfy but decent. And the last leather pair is nearing the end. . I got them all in about 2008-2009.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 PM

338 posts, read 384,869 times
Japan...Korea...Taiwan...India...Mexico = GOOD CHEAP!!

China = Junk

Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
Japan...Korea...Taiwan...India...Mexico = GOOD CHEAP!!

China = Junk
Pretty much spot on. A lot of designer brands are manufacturing in China these days, and the quality is just not there, although the price is high. This is especially evident in shoes to me. Certain sandals that I like are leather, and not too long ago were made in Brazil - very good quality. Today most are made in China and literally fall apart after a few wearings.

I have a beautiful hand made leather purse that is hand-painted. It will last me forever, and it cost less that $100. My wallet is also hand made and I have had it 20 -25 years and it still looks perfect. Bought that at a craft fair.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sure but I also have some Payless shoes, peep toe flats, from around 2004 that are still in my closet. I ended up with two pairs since they were so comfy. One ended up getting really beat up after 5 years. The other pair is a little worn, but still in better shape than those CK shoes I got. I had to trash those.

The under $50 rule isn't hard and fast anymore. I have bought $100 shoes that died faster than $20 ones I purchased at a discount store. I have had to write off many brands due to high prices and poor quality. Now it is a lot harder to tell. I have spend more on shoes and been really disappointed. Whereas others were amazing. Sadly, my favorite Kenneth Cole flats have been reformulated and no longer have the amazing padding. But previously I bought a few pairs that all survived 3+ years with 3x a week wear, and 3-4 miles of walking per day. Only 2 pairs are left, one is patent and less comfy but decent. And the last leather pair is nearing the end. . I got them all in about 2008-2009.
I understand your frustration with shoes. I just threw $50 out, as a number I would never buy at, because I know the shoes would be no good. I haven't looked at any shoes priced under $120 in ages. I just bought two pair of Pikolinos which, wonder of wonders, fit! However for their prices they really aren't made that well. No contoured footbed, and less that stellar leather. But they fit. The brand that I like the most these days is Wolky. These are not inexpensive, but they fit and they often have a somewhat contoured footbed. Or, if they are shoes, I can get an orthotic inside.

The very best shoes I have ever bought are made in Germany. Footprints by Birkenstock is the brand. But the availability of styles is weird. http://www.amazon.com/Footprints-Wom...by+birkenstock I own these, and I've worn them for at least 4 winters. I have finally stretched them out, so I now put a pad under the removable footbed. These are extremely well made shoes. I will probably wear them another 4 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty