U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 PM

8,853 posts, read 7,333,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
A lot of pawn shops will carry double edge razors as will antique shops. You can also buy them off of ebay or amazon. Most recommended brands are Merkur and Edwin Jagger. Certain older Gillette models are also of good quality; you just have to research which years models are good and which are bad.
Don't want a used model. Some things can survive on the surface and I just wouldn't be sure it was truly sterilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Don't want a used model. Some things can survive on the surface and I just wouldn't be sure it was truly sterilized.
Then buy a new one. Or buy a used one and "truly" sterilize it yourself.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
People often don't realize that the edge of a razor will break down from corrosion more than anything. There have been incredible advances in cutlery steel over the last 15-20 years, but razor companies have not even bothered to use the new steels. They know that the super steels would just break down from exposure to moisture when the owner stores it in the bathroom.

I store my razor outside the bathroom, and rest it on a piece of wicking cloth. The best route is really an old fashioned straight razor, and strop.
I think the razor companies wouldn't mind using some of the new Powdered Steels if it weren't for the cost. Remember, these are disposable heads, not a straight-edge you can resharpen over & over again.

fwiw, I've tried DE razors using different blades over the years, but can never get the angle right under certain spots of my jawline without doing second or third against-the-grain passes... and that's really irritating (literally & figuratively). For simple convenience you can't beat a Mach 3. It's not the closest shave, but it's good enough when you don't want to hassle.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
DH bought a double edge razor when we were on vacation in the UK a couple of years ago and hasn't looked back. With all the newer razors he found he was getting a rash caused (we think) by the lifting before cutting thing they all advertise as "great for a closer shave"

The only problem we have run into is buying replacement blades, none of the stores locally keep them and we can order them from Amazon. Still the cheapest way is to get my daughter in the UK to buy them and send them over, its cheaper even with postage added.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 AM

25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Those new models (except Microtouch) are a bit expensive. It costs $33.95 on Amazon for the long-handled Merkur and $42.49 for the double edged Merkur the Edwin Jagger is just a little cheaper at $31.00. The issue is the start-up costs are much more expensive if you don't get the Microtouch (which judging by comments about it, don't), Gllette Fusion costs around 9.88 for the starter. My brother uses ShaveMob which is similar to dollar shave club but it is pay as you go. The handle costs $2.00 no matter if you buy 2 month, 6 month or a year supply at one pop.

The issue is many people claim that to get the big effect of safety razors, many claim that you need to switch from canned cream and gel to shave butter and apply it on by a badger brush. That is much more expensive and has a longer time to break-even. If you think that the you need the full experience, that's great. I find using a traditional razor (gonna jump to shave mob after I burn through the Fusion blades I have) and gel works for me. I've even switched to Walmart shave gel. The only trick I use is washing my face and then applying a hot wash rag to my face before applying the gel.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

OK, been using it daily for a week now. After the first few days I've gotten use to holding the razor at the correct angle. Once I got the angle right, it was actually closer than my disposable head razors. There are two areas I do have trouble getting close, but I had trouble getting those areas close even with the disposable head razors. One spot is right up under my nose. There is a spot on my jaw on each side that has an indention. I have trouble getting fully in this area. It's still closer than the disposable heads. It also rinses cleaner and easier than the disposable heads. I wash my face and shave in the shower.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,476,271 times
Quote:
OK, been using it daily for a week now. After the first few days I've gotten use to holding the razor at the correct angle. Once I got the angle right, it was actually closer than my disposable head razors. There are two areas I do have trouble getting close, but I had trouble getting those areas close even with the disposable head razors. One spot is right up under my nose. There is a spot on my jaw on each side that has an indention. I have trouble getting fully in this area. It's still closer than the disposable heads. It also rinses cleaner and easier than the disposable heads. I wash my face and shave in the shower.
What did you end up getting?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,678,441 times
Got mine as part of a Christmas gift with a new fine badger hair brush that is hand made instead of the courser generic model. Also got a nice stand for them on the countertop.

I have a Merkur Long Handle $60-65, like it better than the thicker short handle ones I saw. It has more weight and fits better for maneuvering. I use The Art of Shaving Sandalwood products (oil, cream, lotion). My next investment is a shaving cream warmer and I'll be all set. Replacement blades are about $10 for a pack and currently I'm still on the same pack that was given to me for Christmas.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Got mine as part of a Christmas gift with a new fine badger hair brush that is hand made instead of the courser generic model. Also got a nice stand for them on the countertop.

I have a Merkur Long Handle $60-65, like it better than the thicker short handle ones I saw. It has more weight and fits better for maneuvering. I use The Art of Shaving Sandalwood products (oil, cream, lotion). My next investment is a shaving cream warmer and I'll be all set. Replacement blades are about $10 for a pack and currently I'm still on the same pack that was given to me for Christmas.

Money is tight for us because of medical reasons. I hope to upgrade to that brand razor. Bathroom space is tight so those other products won't come anytime soon.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM

25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
What did you end up getting?
The Microtouch which is one of the cheaper safety razor options there are. The handle is about $10 cheaper than most other new handle options (used are about as cheap or cheaper depending where you can get it from.) The blades however are like $8 for a package of three or four. I looked at it once but I think ShaveMob is the better option for me and is more economic for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or