U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 AM

8,865 posts, read 7,343,917 times

Advertisements

I've been considering switching to a double edge razor to save money. Online new models can be costly. Bought this one to try. The one downside I've seen so far is the blade slot isn't an exact precise fit. Quality models have an exact fit so the blade will be perfectly centered. The blade can be a little off center resulting in one side having more blade exposure than the other side. The blades that come with them are cheap and made in China. Once I've used the blades that came with the razor, I'll buy a set of name brand blades to compare.

If you lived with replacement head razors, this will take some getting use to. You have to hold the razor gently against your face at a particular angle to get a good shave. Let the weight of the razor be the only pressure. The plus for such razors is the low cost for replacing blades & easily cleaning out hair and cream from razor. I used Gillette Sensor, Sensor 3, and Fusion razors. I only shave with my beard growth direction to prevent ingrown hairs. The above three and the double edge razor all shaved as close. While the Fusion felt most like it glided across the face, I could not live with the cost of replacement heads. The double edge razor does not have things I find annoying on other razors. Things like rubber strips, gel strip, or the uneven plastic of disposable razors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 11,042,677 times
Though about picking up that Microtouch razor at CVS (as seen on TV isle) the other day, but upon inspection, it looked really cheap (like the chrome plating was brushed on) so I just ended up buying replacement fusion razors at nearly the same cost.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:42 AM

3,420 posts, read 2,899,039 times
Good luck with that. No way could I do that. I'll stick with my Gillette Mach 3 Turbo and the Fusion Pro Glide which is the best razor I have EVER used. Pricey, but I just don't shave everyday. I can go every other day and still be cool.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,586,491 times
who is Rick Harrison?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,411 posts, read 50,625,851 times
My face is not picky, so I go with the most cost-effective option. That has been the big box of Gillette disposables that are $19.95 or so for 50 at Costco. Now that stubble is considered fashionable I will only shave Mon/Wed/Fri and those last for about 6 shaves each, so a box lasts well over a year. Razors blades are a big ripoff, and they keep coming up with new, non-standard styles so you have to keep buying a new handle.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,479,585 times
My husband uses this:
Dollar Shave Club - Shave Time. Shave Money.
You choose a handle and blade, pay a monthly fee (really pretty cheap) and you get new blades every month. You can change blade style at any time, cancel at any time.
He's been a member for several months now, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,586,491 times
People often don't realize that the edge of a razor will break down from corrosion more than anything. There have been incredible advances in cutlery steel over the last 15-20 years, but razor companies have not even bothered to use the new steels. They know that the super steels would just break down from exposure to moisture when the owner stores it in the bathroom.

I store my razor outside the bathroom, and rest it on a piece of wicking cloth. The best route is really an old fashioned straight razor, and strop.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
who is Rick Harrison?
He's the bald guy from Pawn Stars. Didn't buy it because of his endorsement. Bought it because it was the only double edge razor I could find in the stores.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Though about picking up that Microtouch razor at CVS (as seen on TV isle) the other day, but upon inspection, it looked really cheap (like the chrome plating was brushed on) so I just ended up buying replacement fusion razors at nearly the same cost.
It feels like real metal when you hold it in your hand.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
A lot of pawn shops will carry double edge razors as will antique shops. You can also buy them off of ebay or amazon. Most recommended brands are Merkur and Edwin Jagger. Certain older Gillette models are also of good quality; you just have to research which years models are good and which are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or