U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 AM

1,300 posts, read 636,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i know that,but i am referring to a woman that has a small waist but her tummy protudes from a side profile.
Meaning she looks flat when viewed from the front but when she turns to the side there is a lower belly pooch
Since I'm past my 20's and 30's, for that matter - beyond my 40's and 50's too - what you just described doesn't even qualify as "a large tummy" in my book. I wouldn't encourage real tight clothing, but ymmv. I noticed a number of years back that most women my age no more had the figure they did in their 20's and perhaps 30's than I do. Tongue in cheek, there.

There is a point, though, for me, when a little excess weight moves into the "too much" column. Perhaps it is when the gut reaches the proportions often seen on older US men - ye olde beer gut proportions.

Some guys like plus size women. For me - it has no effect on how I view them as people, but it generally kills any sexual attraction.

But from your description, what you are talking about is not plus-sized.

And, just a thought here at the end - you might try throwing 5 minutes of core strength exercises into your daily routine a few days a week, if you aren't already. Planks, leg lifts, etc. It won't hurt the appearance!

Edit: that last bit shows I didn't read the whole thread. I won't apologize, due to thread length and limited time, but I DID notice this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It can take much longer depending on the severity of a diastasis recti. Not all women can bounce back, even if they are faithful to a fitness and diet, it can take years of correction. My stomach is fairly flat now (fortunately from 10 years of powerlifting I know how to do things "right") but I had to wear a fabric splint for over a year due to the severity of the diastasis, it had nothing to do with being lazy or priorities. Trying to do too much too soon with a diastasis (which 98% of postpartum women have) can actually make it worse and lead to your organs displacing out.

Then you can get the endless amount of women who are misinformed and think things like crunches will improve post-baby body, making their diastasis so much worse and a large belly no matter how much they weigh. They just can't fix it no matter how hard they try because they are doing the wrong things and so many people think "fixing" a postbaby body is as simple as diet and working out. It's not.
This poster, I would say, knows a bit more on the topic of exercise for women than I do. She adds a note of caution to my casual "5 minutes of core" thought. Something to consider. Although she does mention crunches, which are an upper abdominal focus - and that is only a quarter of the "core". Nevertheless, she is saying some core exercises could be a bad thing, although I do not understand how. I'll have to go look up " diastasis".

Last edited by hiero2; 05-21-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,962,167 times
For me personally, a fat gut on a girl is a turnoff. I'm not too old and not too young either. I am also very fit though, staying fit matters to me. I have always been in good shape. I'm also almost forty. Most girls that I have been attracted to usually have no guts either. Truthfully, none of them have had guts. However, if I was married to a women and some years down the line she gets one, then I would react and think differently about it. It wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means. I wouldn't at that time be shallow like that.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 636,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It can take much longer depending on the severity of a diastasis recti. . . .

Then you can get the endless amount of women who are misinformed and think things like crunches will improve post-baby body, making their diastasis so much worse and a large belly no matter how much they weigh. They just can't fix it no matter how hard they try because they are doing the wrong things . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
. . .

This poster, I would say, knows a bit more on the topic of exercise for women than I do. She adds a note of caution to my casual "5 minutes of core" thought. Something to consider. Although she does mention crunches, which are an upper abdominal focus - and that is only a quarter of the "core". Nevertheless, she is saying some core exercises could be a bad thing, although I do not understand how. I'll have to go look up " diastasis".
Ok - went and looked up diastasis recti: separation of the two sides of the abdominal muscles that make up "the six-pack".

Giving credit, HERE: Diastasis Recti | The Muscles | MuTu System
I found this (Note that this is a link to a site advertising a workout system. Just in case linking to a commercial site bothers you. But the info is consistent with other sites, and it is concise, well-stated, and thorough.)
Quote:
By Wendy Powell · June 13, 2012
Diastasis Recti is the separation of the Rectus Abdominis (or 6 pack) abdominal muscle, as the Linea Alba (mid-line connective tissue) is stretched + weakened at the front of the abdomen.

This diastasis recti image shows what happens to your abdominal muscles when diastasis recti occurs.

Diastasis Recti occurs as a result of excessive intra-abdominal pressure or loading, + is common in the later stages of pregnancy, particularly second or subsequent pregnancies. The ‘gap’ narrows naturally in the days + weeks following childbirth, but often doesn’t come back together completely on its own, resulting in instability + weakness of the core + a ‘pooch’ stomach or ‘mummy tummy’.
But the Rectus Abdominis is only 1 of 4 layers of abdominal muscles: the Transverse Abdominis (deepest muscle layer) the Interior + Exterior Obliques (next 2 layers) that form your waist, + then the Rectus Abdominis is on the outside.
Unfortunately when the 2 parts of the muscle separate as a result of this increased pressure, the connective mid-line is stretched + weakened as it takes all other muscular + fascial support structures along with it. This leaves the front of the abdomen unsupported + unstable.
Important: Diastasis Recti is a symptom of excessive intra abdominal pressure, the same state that creates other pelvic + abdominal problems including hernia + prolapse. DR should therefore be treated as part of an integrated program designed to restore, re-connect + then strengthen the entire core musculature, rather than be addressed in isolation (+ rather than focussing only on ‘closing the gap’).

Some of you may already know this, but it adds to my knowledge on the topic, and it may be pertinent to the OP, imo.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,057,817 times
I've gone from a severe diastasis (a full hand width - 5 fingers) to tiny by doing the "right" core work. But it always risks reopening and I've decided to hang up my powerlifters shoes which was a bummer! I still do weights 5x a week but its like a permanent injury. My smallest boy was 8lb6oz so on a girl with a flat tummy it was a killer.

Of course this is mostly for women who had kids, but childless women and even men can cause it. The ifbb bb guys all have it too, it can be visible due to extremely low body fat (which would look like a potbelly otherwise at normal fat levels).

Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,083,147 times
They wrote a song that says it all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxpcGT7kSoE

Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,921 times
Quote:
i know that,but i am referring to a woman that has a small waist but her tummy protudes from a side profile.
Meaning she looks flat when viewed from the front but when she turns to the side there is a lower belly pooch
If it's just a little pooch and not obesity(meaning her legs, love handles, upper abs, etc are all fat too), then it is absolutely fine, I actually like it.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
A large tummy has nothing to do with obesity.

You can be very thin with a large tummy,and obese with a flat tummy.

Do guys who like plus size women expect it to come with the territory?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,338,516 times
I'm not sure what qualifies as a big tummy-one that protrudes or has a pooch?

Anyway I'm a mixture of curvy and athletic and have both pear and hour glass qualities. My legs are thick, as is my bottom, but I work out 5-6 times a week so I'm fit and toned. My arms are slightly slimmer and fit. That being said my waist is pretty slim in comparison with the rest of my body. I do have wide hips, so I'm sure that plays a role. But when I look on the mirror I always notice that there is a very clear waist to hip distinction going on, and my stomach looks slim when looking at my overall body and frame. It isn't flat but it's almost there.

I had a baby and I'm not thin-(I'm a size 6) so yes I think it's possible for a woman to have a slim or smallish stomach, even possibly close to flat if it's their genes and if they didnt have a baby lol.

I do want to say that I eat a relatively healthy diet, drink lots if water and lift and do cardio. I do certain core exercises to work my transverse abs and do back exercises to help. My stomach is not flat but it doesn't really protrude and the mommy pooch is barely there.

In my experience a lot of guys seem to date women that have a bit of tummy. Women that might be slim everywhere else but have a pooch, or women with a thick waist period. It doesn't seem to be a deterrent. I'm sure there are some guys that care, but on average I see more women (even thin women) with some tummy on them and they have no issue getting boyfriends or dates.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
I was waist training with the squeem vest.

My waist got snaller but i believe it pushed the fat toward the lower tummy,which the vest does not cover.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,338,516 times
Quote:
I was waist training with the squeem vest.

My waist got snaller but i believe it pushed the fat toward the lower tummy,which the vest does not cover.
Hmmm. I have no clue because I've never used a squeem vest. Honestly don't see the point if you eat well, cardio, and lift. But maybe that is why your stomach looks like this-I would stop using the squeem.

I have a small waist and a small stomach. I slightly have a lower pooch but it isn't noticeable naked or otherwise unless your really inspecting. I had a baby FYI. I can't seem to loose the minor mommy pouch and suspect the only way I could is with a tummy tuck. But in your case, you didnt have a child and so that lower stomach fat that formed due to the squeem could probably be minimized with a clean diet, more cardio, core exercises and not using the squeem anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or