U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 AM

223 posts, read 247,408 times

Advertisements

Receding hairline or baldness is one of my biggest turn offs in men. Wearing a toupee makes it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 AM

5,129 posts, read 3,639,022 times
Toupees look ridiculous, no matter how well they are made, fit or match a guy's hair colour. They are just fake.

I'd take bald over a toupee any day. NO TOUPEE.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Wouldn't matter if I was attracted to him anyway. I'd make him take it off and feel comfortable with me seeing him balding. I don't plan on walking around in a Wonderbra all the time with these saggy potatoes by the time I'm 50 nor getting botox, so pfft.
HAHAHAHA! Agreed. None of us keep our looks forever. But I'm still coloring my hair. I guess I won't go down without a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I prefer bald, or head shaved, to comb overs, and toupees. The latter two are complete turnoffs to me.
+1. I'd say the combover is the worst because it's so obvious. Smoothing 20 strands of hair over a spot where 1000 strands should be is NOT going to accomplish the task. It's like Walmart expecting the same level of service from the 10 employees they have on the payroll now that they used to get from the 30 they had before. If a guy is really insecure about his bald spot, he should just shave the whole head and be done with it. Now that's a sexy look.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
father was bald, husband is bald (with trimmed beard), son started going bald in high school. Son started fulling shaving his head at age 25 or so but I think it was mostly to save on haircuts cause he was in graduate school. Sometimes has beard-sometimes not. I'm used to bald, I like bald and beard look if bear is nicely trimmed. No neck beard--gross.
When single and dating never even noticed hairline. Wasn't important. What I noticed then and notice now is posture, lack of belly , smile and confidence enough to talk openly about lots of different subjects.

A comb over is god's way of letting women know this guy is a loser-don't waste your time!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times
With hair or without, would be the last thing on my mind. For many years, my SO had very noticeable male-pattern baldness.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 AM

296 posts, read 263,663 times
I think it is a bit of a turn off as it suggests that he likes to hide or deny things. It makes me laugh to think of the Golden Girls episode where Dorothy talks about Stan keeping his toupee in the lettuce crisper during summer.

Last edited by WildOnions; 05-19-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,669,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

A comb over is god's way of letting women know this guy is a loser-don't waste your time!
You actually made me laugh with that comment. So true and so funny. Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,052,125 times
My computer is about to fragg out, I'll try to repost, Back in a day in HS, I wore my hair clean and neat, can't be a Varsity Team Captain looking like a mutt, in College, I let my hair grow out a bit and loved it. When I started my military career, my Mentors and DS's who we're all Rangers about to cycle out and finish their careers all had their hair cut in what we call a 1. or .5 blade cut, meaning our hair was cut very clean and very tight and maintance free, all steel eyed combat Vets to a man, wore the same, I've been wearing that look ever since. All the ladies didn't mind.

Thank you

Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 AM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I would not date a man who wore one. To me, it speaks to his insecurity, and lack of self awareness. I want a man who is confident enough to be himself.
My friend just married a man who she met online. She introduced him to us, soon after she met him, and my first comment to her was, "He needs to lose the awful toupee". He continues to wear it, years later, and I want to ask my friend why she hasn't been able to get him to stop, but I've said enough already.
Interestingly, both men I know who wear toupees have roots in show business. The guy above was in a band for years, and another man was on the radio his whole life, and made public appearances. Perhaps it is more accepted in that culture.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would not date a man who wore one. To me, it speaks to his insecurity, and lack of self awareness. I want a man who is confident enough to be himself.
My friend just married a man who she met online. She introduced him to us, soon after she met him, and my first comment to her was, "He needs to lose the awful toupee". He continues to wear it, years later, and I want to ask my friend why she hasn't been able to get him to stop, but I've said enough already.
Interestingly, both men I know who wear toupees have roots in show business. The guy above was in a band for years, and another man was on the radio his whole life, and made public appearances. Perhaps it is more accepted in that culture.
I find this quite interesting. This thread demonstrates an obvious double standard regarding gender. Men who wear toupees are insecure about their looks, and posters view such men as flawed. Men are supposed to be confident about how they look, no matter what their hairline.

But almost all women are insecure about their looks. But somehow, they are supposed to feel that way, because women are supposed to have perfect bodies, and if they don't they have failed as human beings. And people are more judgmental about how women look than men. Why is that? (This is my general impression and by no means describes everyone's opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I can not stand this look. Unfortunately, many many men sport it. It looks so weird to me - no hair on top with hair on your chin. I find bald with no goatee much more attractive.
Agreed. Men with no hair on top and goatees on their chin look odd. Hair on top + goatee fine. Bald + clean shaven fine. But don't mix the two as if the guy is King Indecisive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or