U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,051,355 times

Advertisements

Not to Shabby, Scooby. Cool post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I find this quite interesting. This thread demonstrates an obvious double standard regarding gender. Men who wear toupees are insecure about their looks, and posters view such men as flawed. Men are supposed to be confident about how they look, no matter what their hairline.

But almost all women are insecure about their looks. But somehow, they are supposed to feel that way, because women are supposed to have perfect bodies, and if they don't they have failed as human beings. And people are more judgmental about how women look than men. Why is that? (This is my general impression and by no means describes everyone's opinion).

Agreed. Men with no hair on top and goatees on their chin look odd. Hair on top + goatee fine. Bald + clean shaven fine. But don't mix the two as if the guy is King Indecisive

My husband will continue to keep his beard whether he has hair on his head or not. It is not being indecisive, it is choosing to keep the beard he has had for more than 30 years, trimmed close and always clean. The hair on his head will eventually be gone but the whiskers on his face will not be gone and I love his beard but the main point is, either way it is all part of the man I love.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 AM

13,227 posts, read 11,754,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would not date a man who wore one. To me, it speaks to his insecurity, and lack of self awareness. I want a man who is confident enough to be himself.
I understand the sentiment, but I think it's a bit unfair. Not all of us women are happy with the hair that we have and many wear wigs and extensions. Not every man is comfortable being bald, so if he wants to wear a toupee, why should he be stigmatized for that?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
I've known my husband for 40+ years and I've never seen him without his neatly trimmed beard. he did have some hair at first but he fussed and fumed with those wispy top hairs- hair spray- hat all the time, etc till i suggested he just go ahead and shave the top part of his head. he now has hair trimmed on the sides and back but bald dome.

I understand bald head can get cold. DH wears little thin knit caps in the house in the winter and to sleep in year round. he also wears something on his head in restaurants as we inevitably sit down underneath some godawful fan or draft.

The thing with a toupee is that usually the people in the guys life will see him without it and the difference can be shocking. And I think it would be offputting. I've seen pictures of Revolta bald and it is so different from when he has hair. Not necessarily horrible but a shocking difference so it brings more attention to his situation. Same thing for other entertainers who are often caught by paparazzi who just might be hounding them just to get a shot sans toupee.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM

670 posts, read 760,316 times
I don't think I've ever seen a man with a toupee. If I have, it must have been a very nice one, because I didn't notice.

Just curious...what would be the difference between this and a girl wearing a padded bra?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a man with a toupee. If I have, it must have been a very nice one, because I didn't notice.

Just curious...what would be the difference between this and a girl wearing a padded bra?
False advertisement as far as I'm concerned with the padded bras, 4" heels and girdles.
My opinion only but I am not one to wear makeup or try and hide any flaw on my body.
It is obviously an individual choice but a lot of men either go bald or start balding as they age so if you actually love the man and not his hair it really won't matter if the hair is gone or less but the man is still there.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM

5,307 posts, read 2,884,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well my eyes are never going to go to a guys' belt when he approaches me, I assure you.

As to the question of a toupee, yes I find them a total and complete turnoff. I would not even consider dating a guy that was that insecure. I think bald looks great.

I second this.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
- Agreed. Men with no hair on top and goatees on their chin look odd. Hair on top + goatee fine. Bald + clean shaven fine. But don't mix the two as if the guy is King Indecisive
Not to me.... this is a look I prefer - bald/shaved/buzzed + facial hair = hot in my book.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I understand the sentiment, but I think it's a bit unfair. Not all of us women are happy with the hair that we have and many wear wigs and extensions. Not every man is comfortable being bald, so if he wants to wear a toupee, why should he be stigmatized for that?
Ok, but did you EVER see a woman with a wig that looked like a dead cat sitting on her head? I have not, but I've seen many toupees that look like that.

I do not disagree that it might be a double standard, but I stand by the way I feel about it. We women don't go around without a shirt on either, which is also a double standard.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:32 PM

10,339 posts, read 7,594,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You've seen them--guys wearing a hairpiece that is pretty obvious. Shatner, Cage, Travolta, even the great 007.

So tell us girls, what's your reaction to a guy who approaches you romantically and the first place your eyes go is not to his belt but to the top of his head?

Hey if Nicolas Cage or Sean Connery approached me, I wouldn't care if they had a bird's nest with baby birds in it on their head --- that would be OK with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or