U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

I think they look terrible, and I can't understand the thinking of a man who would go through life with a thing on his head for no reason. The two men I know who wore them were both in show business at one time, so I guess it's more accepted there.
I learned my lesson about mentioning this, when my friend first met a man on eharmony. I told her he seemed very nice, but what's with the bad rug? Little did I know that she would wind up married to him and he's still wearing the bad rug. Awkward.
I would have made getting rid of it a condition of marrying him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM

634 posts, read 335,710 times
Yes, it's a turn off. If a guy is so insecure that he has to hide himself under a wig, he's too insecure for me.

But I hate comb overs even more...

Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,146 times
Update -

Hair transplant - defiantly looking to going ahead with this as soon as i get the money for it, cambridge uk quoted 5-9k on average costs and that i use that modafinal foam for the rest of my life (not cheap) so that made me skeptical since its non science proven and only has 55% success rate but im going to london for a consultation on a hair transplant and having it done in budapest where it works out much cheaper (website advertises 1k starting),

also what i didn't know there is a drug called finasteride which you can order online from superdrug (legit)- you're supposed to start taking this the minute you notice thinning or receding of course thats to late for me now but i might get regrowth- , it has higher success rates but at the cost of a few side effects, this stuff basically works by inhibiting DHT which makes sense why most men have this plague of hair loss and not woman, start my 1 month course next week to test side effects and consultation early feb for hair transplant FUE, will update in a few weeks

Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 AM

9,095 posts, read 3,918,635 times
My FIL had the absolute worst toupee; it was a very obvious cheap one that didn't even match his own hair color which always showed in the back because he wouldn't cut his hair often enough. My husband, when I met him, had the comb over which was almost as bad. Little by little I got rid of that until he had a normal Sean Connery (without the hairpiece) thing going on.

I understand most men are very sensitive about their thinning hair but they are better off just going bald if they have a nice shaped head than trying to wear a bad toupee.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,111,397 times
I saw Elton John---who I really like----in a concert video a few years back and in the close-ups, was amazed at the fake look of his hairpiece. It was way too short in the back! I mean, a guy with this much money, can't even get a realistic toupee? I can see why the Hollywood types go that route; they have a certain image to portray.

As for dying hair, not everyone can pull off the prematurely-grey look, like Clooney or Richard Gere. Most of us dye our hair, so what.

I don't mind the shaved head. Beat the ludicrous comb-over anyday, which it appears we ALL hate.

I don't get the grey beards on guys with no grey in their hair? Trying to look older, you younger guys? Even Brad Pitt----geez! What are they thinking!

My own dad went bald early and shaved his head before it was cool, in the 60's. Then surprisingly, in the 80's he got a toupee. We were shocked but got used to it. But I know it limited his activities---he was always worried about windy conditions and kept a hand clamped to his head.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
It would be a turn off for me. I don't mind bald or balding if the hair is close cropped. Trying to hide the obvious never looks good IMO. I know people are sensitive about their hairline but attitude trumps most things.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 548,667 times
I prefer guys with one of the following: a full head of hair, a closely cropped or shaved head, or completely bald. No toupees or comb-overs. If I'm close with a guy, I love to run my fingers through his hair or over his head...and I can't do that if he's wearing a toupee, because I wouldn't want to touch it at all. To me, most toupees resemble a rug or a dead animal perched on top of the head, and that's a complete turn-off.

Confidence is sexy--so embrace it.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,146 times
Celebrity Hair l Parsa Mohebi

Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 AM

5,076 posts, read 6,225,432 times
Generally speaking, I think going bald bothers men much more than it bothers women. Guys, if you're losing your hair, just embrace it. Don't cover it with a toupee or comb over. It looks fine the way it is. Honest.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Generally speaking, I think going bald bothers men much more than it bothers women. Guys, if you're losing your hair, just embrace it. Don't cover it with a toupee or comb over. It looks fine the way it is. Honest.
Because when a guy loses his hair, it gives them less options and it's also huge change. Most guys are used to getting haircuts each month and suddenly the barber gives you the bad news and tell you that they have to start trimming only certain areas because your bald spots are showing. Not every guy has a good bald head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or