U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM

72,695 posts, read 64,172,365 times

Advertisements

Well, I have no choice but to wear Birks, because of some serious issues with my feet. My podiatrist can build into the footbed the orthotic support I need, and I need footwear that doesn't have a raised heel of any sort. So I try to make the best of having to wear Birks. There's a summer style I wear that almost doesn't look like Birks, it's more feminine and delicate-looking, and isn't obviously a Birk. As for the other seasons, I try to pick the cooler styles, the more interesting designs with interesting prints. I shop the German catalog, which has a lot more choices. In winter, if there's a lot of snow, I'll wear them with wool socks in a complimentary color, so it almost looks like they're part of the shoe.

Men can wear Birks, depending on where you live. NorCal, Oregon, Washington--fine. New Mexico--fine. I don't know the scene in Phx, OP, but I think on men, for leisure, why not?

I'm not saying they're fashionable, but I've been surprised to find that some very high-end designers, like Gucci, have made some Birk knock-offs with some minor improvements so they look a little more high-end, but still are unmistakably Birks. They're selling for $500 or more. Strange. Clearly someone thinks they're fashionable.

As far as the affordability issue goes, that someone raised, you can buy them at significant discount online, on some of the discount fashion and footwear sites. And they last forever, you just have to have them resoled occasionally. I've had one pair for 10 years, still going strong. Very practical in that regard.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-10-2015 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,135,656 times
I think it was on an old $10,000 Pyramid show where one of the clues given was "those ugly sandals that lesbians wear". Contestant got it immediately. I'm not bashing shoes or lesbians, I just thought it was funny.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,975,028 times
should wear what ever you like. I wouldn't wear a birk

Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM

9,078 posts, read 5,659,334 times
I've always like Birk's, never owned a pair though. I might have to look into them. Gotta wear them with socks though... just to round out the look.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've always like Birk's, never owned a pair though. I might have to look into them. Gotta wear them with socks though... just to round out the look.
If you decide to check out Birk's, check out ALL the options before buying. The brand divided into several separate brands some years ago, so you have to look up the different lines. There's conventional Birkenstock. There's "Birkis". There's one called "Tatami" or some such. The actual Birkestock outlets no longer carry those other types. Have fun with it. Find something outside the plain-brown-wrapper type mold. Get jiggy with 'em!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM

30,411 posts, read 9,092,686 times
I never liked them. I think they look ugly, and what woman wants her feet to look larger with that "size up" nonsense?

Ugh.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I never liked them. I think they look ugly, and what woman wants her feet to look larger with that "size up" nonsense?

Ugh.
There are narrow ones for women. And what's this "size up" thing? I go one size down, and they look great. Well, relatively speaking, in a Birk sort of way.

There's an Israeli brand, NAOT, that used to make flat sandals. They were much more stylish. Same type of footbed, but a narrower design for women, and much more stylish, though the leather was cheap. But a long time ago they abandoned their original formula, and went in for sandals with heels, so I had to give them up, except for a couple of older ones I still have. The orthopedic cork footbed idea doesn't have to be clunky and ugly. NAOT proved that.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
So, I live in the Phoenix area where a large portion of the population wears sandals year round. I'm sick of flip flops because they dont provide enough support. Am thinking of buying some Birks, the ones with the strap around the back across your achilles tendon. I know they are kind of clunky looking and not to flattering on a woman but can a man pull it off provided he's not wearing socks with his Birks? Just want some opinions and I know CD is definitely not short on that.
Keen's are outstanding.

The support is excellent, and their durability is fantastic - I wear mine regularly half the year (I'm in Minnesota) and have gotten them wet/muddy many times (the leather is still in great condition after 6-7 years of use), the pull-string still holds fairly well, and the soles are hardly worn at all. They're not cheap, but since they last so long it evens out, no?

I can't speak personally to Birkenstocks, but my wife and my 18-year-old son like theirs very much.

Of course, the peanut gallery's idea that footwear is a fashion show rather than an exercise in utility might result in other opinions...

Last edited by Unsettomati; 02-10-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

230 posts, read 153,094 times
Birks are just fine. They have evolved their styles a lot (at least for the women's line). Remember, you will be on your feet the rest of your life, take care of them. I have a goofy theory that when a person has happy feet, they are happy. I'd much rather keep company with people who are happy in maybe ugly shoes!

There is a brand called Spenco that makes flip flops that have very good support and a more rigid, non slip sole. They have several color choices. I prefer them after my long runs to any of my other house shoes. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
I remember a lot of people back in the early-80's who wore Birks faithfully for their comfort. My brother-in-law wore them almost exclusively until his diabetes got bad.

I think they look fine with casual wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or