U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 PM

30,404 posts, read 9,086,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are narrow ones for women. And what's this "size up" thing? I go one size down, and they look great. Well, relatively speaking, in a Birk sort of way.

There's an Israeli brand, NAOT, that used to make flat sandals. They were much more stylish. Same type of footbed, but a narrower design for women, and much more stylish, though the leather was cheap. But a long time ago they abandoned their original formula, and went in for sandals with heels, so I had to give them up, except for a couple of older ones I still have. The orthopedic cork footbed idea doesn't have to be clunky and ugly. NAOT proved that.

What's this "narrow size for women" thing? I never said anything about width; I'm referring to shoe size. If they offer half-sizes now, that's great. But for most of their history, it was whole sizes only, and they recommended that we "size up" (in other words, that we wear the wrong size).

Hearing the honchos (they're on QVC regularly) tout how great Birks are for foot anatomy while promoting off-sizes is nothing short of laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,881,352 times
I love my Birkenstocks and I am not a lesbian - but I do wear tye-dye occasionally!

I don't care what is fashionable or 'in' - I wear what I like and what is comfortable. Thankfully, I don't have to impress anyone!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What's this "narrow size for women" thing? I never said anything about width; I'm referring to shoe size. If they offer half-sizes now, that's great. But for most of their history, it was whole sizes only, and they recommended that we "size up" (in other words, that we wear the wrong size).

Hearing the honchos (they're on QVC regularly) tout how great Birks are for foot anatomy while promoting off-sizes is nothing short of laughable.
You said "what woman wants to make her foot look larger", so I addressed that in two ways. And they've always had half-sizes. That's how the European sizing works; the odd numbers are half-sizes, the even numbers are whole sizes. Birks have always come in whole and half sizes. Some of the salespeople would erroneously advise people to size up by a half size, but that's not necessary.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You can wear whatever you want, but truly, they never look fashionable.
But if your feet are comfortable who cares if they are 'fashionable'. What I don't get is why people wear shoes which are 'in fashion' or 'the latest' which mess up feet and make it hard to walk naturally and just plain hurt. Why do that to yourself?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM

30,404 posts, read 9,086,867 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;38391829]You said "what woman wants to make her foot look larger", so I addressed that in two ways. And they've always had half-sizes. That's how the European sizing works; the odd numbers are half-sizes, the even numbers are whole sizes. Birks have always come in whole and half sizes. Some of the salespeople would erroneously advise people to size up by a half size, but that's not necessary.[/QUOTE

No, Birks have not always come in half sizes. Their former rep on QVC (Sally) used to tell viewers to size up, and we were perfectly capable of reading "whole sizes only" on the screen.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,881,352 times
I have bought Birkenstocks for years and they DO come in half sizes and have for many years. Maybe QVC didn't sell 1/2 sizes but I doubt most people buy their Birkenstocks from QVC.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,731,089 times
Birkenstocks are back.

They are pretty neutral. I'm not sure why they got such a bad rep, they aren't really like earth shoes or other hippie monstrosities.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 AM

9,061 posts, read 5,656,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you decide to check out Birk's, check out ALL the options before buying. The brand divided into several separate brands some years ago, so you have to look up the different lines. There's conventional Birkenstock. There's "Birkis". There's one called "Tatami" or some such. The actual Birkestock outlets no longer carry those other types. Have fun with it. Find something outside the plain-brown-wrapper type mold. Get jiggy with 'em!
Thanks for the heads up ! I quickly browsed thru their website and found there are definitely quite a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Keen's are outstanding.

The support is excellent, and their durability is fantastic - I wear mine regularly half the year (I'm in Minnesota) and have gotten them wet/muddy many times (the leather is still in great condition after 6-7 years of use), the pull-string still holds fairly well, and the soles are hardly worn at all. They're not cheap, but since they last so long it evens out, no?

I can't speak personally to Birkenstocks, but my wife and my 18-year-old son like theirs very much.

Of course, the peanut gallery's idea that footwear is a fashion show rather than an exercise in utility might result in other opinions...
I've got the exact same pair of Keen's that you posted , they are going on 10 years old and still going strong. Just a little wear on the soles.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But if your feet are comfortable who cares if they are 'fashionable'. What I don't get is why people wear shoes which are 'in fashion' or 'the latest' which mess up feet and make it hard to walk naturally and just plain hurt. Why do that to yourself?
Did I say anybody should care? I said wear what you want.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I think it was on an old $10,000 Pyramid show where one of the clues given was "those ugly sandals that lesbians wear". Contestant got it immediately. I'm not bashing shoes or lesbians, I just thought it was funny.
Interesting...I was reading through the postings and thinking that the only thing I remembered about them was that many decades ago the stereotype was that lesbians wore birks and flannel shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or