U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 AM

4,947 posts, read 4,651,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Theyre in the paper towel aisle

They made that guy shave off his mustache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM

13,544 posts, read 11,056,967 times
Try biker gangs; they have that Paul Bunyan look

Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,820,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Theyre in the paper towel aisle
^^^LMAO

They're also up here. The logging trucks go by four or five times a day. Their office is the woods.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,172,588 times
Alaska, Oregon, and Washington. We have hot beards and flannel wearing folk up here.

If you need a quick fix there are some good lumberjack calendars available online

Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM

7,229 posts, read 4,650,374 times
I believe they are called loggers today and much of what they use to do, is now done by modern technology. American Loggers on the Discovery Channel would be todays versions of lumberjacks. Its still very hard work.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 PM

3,138 posts, read 3,960,317 times
Funny thing is, the sexiest of the Lumberjacks were Quebecois (Breton/First Nations mix) and Swedes. Both were extremely bisexual groups of men. (And who could blame them? You'd expect those gorgeous creatures to keep their hands OFF each other?) At the all-male camps, male-male romances and 'accommodations' abounded. And I suspect that when the naturally-rippling Ukrainians were added to the logging camps (administrators were running around snapping shirtless pictures of them, and those Ukrainians were stunning), things went into overdrive. As late as the Seventies, it was noted that lumberjacks were coming in from the woods, for Quebec's Winter Carnival, and including lots of homosexual trysts in their cavorting: "And they're not afraid of Fairies.".

And I will add that the individuals I hear protesting the feminization of men currently being pushed by the Fashion Industry - are my GAY friends. They complain endlessly, about the femmy little hairstyles loaded with 'product', about the "massacred eyebrows", and about the fact that the photographers' stylists absolutely destroy their male models with makeup. Of the 'Les Dieux du Stade' (The Deities of the Stadium) series, they say, "More like 'Le Doo Doo du Stade', if you ask me. Those were gorgeous guys, until those idiots ruined them. Did you see what they did to that 'Wolfman' guy from Australia?" (here, we see that gorgeous man being slowly destroyed by the little idiots - taken from 'Perfection' to 'Pathos' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSFTSM6gpk ). Or, as my Ad Man said, "By the time they were through with him, he might as well have some latent drag queen from Brookhaven, Mississippi - named 'Jayhmi' by his Baptist mother - someone who decorates with life-size fashion posters, and dreams of being a 'GQ model'. Wolfman was such a magnificent Aussie beast. But now? What a waste!"

One of my Personal Trainers is an internationally-drooled-over fitness/underwear model. My Decorator and Ad Man bemoan the changes that the photographers have wrought. "He was perfection. A real construction worker - but with giant muscles. ...and so masculine. He was perfect, and he packaged himself perfectly (baseball cap, Bama Bangs, sleeveless plaid shirts - standard Redneck construction-worker-who-grew-up-watching-CMT...), and that PERFECT face! He was an authentic, real he-man - with superhero muscles. Now, those damn stylists have him looking like a total drag queen: puffy lips, silly little haircut, "shaped" eyebrows... I can't stand to look at him. Que peccato! Quel dommage! Pardon my kvetching, but MNEH! FEH!" (That Trainer, by the way, is straight, with a kid.)

Anyway, I will point out that 'Gentlemanly' packaging and demeanor was a hallmark of the ascendant ethnic groups of Northwestern Europe. Such people (who created the civilization the rest of us enjoy) were naturally androgynous. So, I hardly think that androgyny can be said to be 'inferior'. It's just less sexy.

'Sexy'
isn't everything. There are other things which are more important (prudence, intelligence, diligence, thrift, critical thinking, inventiveness...) In fact, I believe that the lionization of hypermasculinity, prevalent in Western Culture since the beginning of the Industrial Age, has its roots in the self-hate, sexual preferences, and sexual fantasies of literate/ascendant males, for strapping men of the working classes and subjugated ethnicities (strong backs and weak minds were worshiped by the wide-hipped and brainy). Authors idolized 'rugged men' because they, themselves, were not rugged. Educators favored athletes (and ultimately thereby destroyed Education), because those educators were sexually fixated upon athletes.

I became imprinted upon rugged men, by watching my prostitute Mother, entertaining her johns (I had my special knothole in the floor of our shack, and would hide under the house, to watch...). The farmers and carpenters were just more attractive than were the ugly old cigarette-smoking/greazy-haired 'businessmen' in starched shirts and charcoal "slacks", with their ugly black shoes and disgusting sleeveless undershirts.

Yes, I detest the current fashion for feminizing the appearance of men. But remember that this is a perfect 'winnowing-moment': those foolish enough to follow such a disadvantageous fashion trend will tend to be 'winnowed-out' - while those who resist will prevail.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-20-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,038,341 times
here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfxGN3AxGg

Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,376,725 times
Most of the hipsters around here look like lumberjacks with their full beards and flannel shirts. There are games called 'Hipster, Homeless, or Lumberjack' or just 'Hipster or Lumberjack' where you look at pictures of bearded dudes and have to guess which category is correct. Here is some information about why hipsters want to look like lumberjacks:

Lumberjack Hipsters and Ironic Masculinity

The Urban-Woodsman Primer -- New York Magazine

Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,899,676 times
One of my nephews is metrosexual and my brother wants to straighten him out.

I want to know why he is metrosexual - he is friends with more babes than I knew in school.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,211,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
One of my nephews is metrosexual and my brother wants to straighten him out.

I want to know why he is metrosexual - he is friends with more babes than I knew in school.
Hes probably metro because thats how he feels happiest. Just because hes friends with a bunch of girls doesnt mean he wants to be a stereotypical manly man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty