U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM

4,279 posts, read 3,299,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been a little down about my appearance. I just can't seem to get professional dress. It always looks cheap or wrong. I read a few fashion books, watched the shows, and asked the opinion of friends, but the outfits I put together for work just seem silly to me now. If anyone here considers himself or herself fashion savvy, I would like to post some pictures of myself and get an opinion of it. I want to look good enough to be mistaken for a movie star or the owner of some billion dollar company, or at least dress as well as my style savvy coworkers, but what I'm doing now isn't working.

Last edited by krmb; 05-20-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:45 PM

15,747 posts, read 11,788,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

I've been a little down about my appearance. I just can't seem to get professional dress. It always looks cheap or wrong. I read a few fashion books, watched the shows, and asked the opinion of friends, but the outfits I put together for work just seem silly to me now. If anyone here considers himself or herself fashion savvy, I would like to post some pictures of myself and get an opinion of it. I want to look good enough to be mistaken for a movie star or the owner of some billion dollar company.
okay, keep em coming!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Well, I'm not sure how to post pictures, so I may have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,215,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, I'm not sure how to post pictures, so I may have to wait until tomorrow.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/814124-post3.html

Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Okay. I finally managed to load one, but it's a little blurry. I look horrible in it, I know. I look quite fat in this, for one thing. I'm planning to post more later, if this helps at all.

This is me without makeup and in a black dress that is apparently not very flattering on me. Plus, my hair is a mess, but it stays that way if I don't flat iron it.

What shape am I? What kinds of clothes will hide this slight belly bulge? What can I do to my hair if I don't want to flat iron it every day?
Attached Thumbnails
Fashionistas, could I bother you with a picture or two?-img_20140520_170350.jpg  

Last edited by krmb; 05-22-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:17 PM

Here are more with the style of clothes I usually wear. These pictures look blurry. The red dress has a fold in the middle that camouflages the midsection a little. I wear shirts and camis under my dresses usually. I strongly prefer skirts and dresses over pants and shorts. I'm also usually extremely modest, which is good considering I work in the schools.
Attached Thumbnails
Fashionistas, could I bother you with a picture or two?-img_20140520_170402.jpg   Fashionistas, could I bother you with a picture or two?-img_20140504_191657.jpg   Fashionistas, could I bother you with a picture or two?-img_20140422_210452.jpg  

Last edited by krmb; 05-22-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 PM

13,610 posts, read 11,087,868 times
You dress reserved. Might want to show a bit more skin

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 PM

154 posts, read 211,906 times
Well, for one thing, more CONFIDENCE!! You're beautiful; stop with the fat talk.

For your shape, I'd say you need to define the slimmest point of your waist (often just below the rib cage) with a nice wide dark-colored belt. The fabric of your dress or top or whatever should be relatively loose especially below the belt. A bias-cut dress is also a great way to show off your curves, and it's a very young, stylish look. Empire waist dresses and assymetrical skirts are also solid choices. In a pinch, a well-fitted blazer thrown over almost any dress or top is a great way to pull an outfit together and skim over your insecurity zones!

Choose clothes that draw attention to your favorite features. For example, it looks like you have great arms and legs -- draw attention to those areas and I bet you'll feel like a movie star

Find your power color -- a color you like and that you think is flattering on you -- and buy lots of accessories/outfits/pieces in that color.

Have fun!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,378,786 times
I'm not a fashionista, but I do have years of experience dressing a body similar to yours so that it looks it's best regardless of fads and fashion. Out of the pics you posted, the red dress does you the most favors and you look very good in it; but the sweater over it does you or the dress no favors.

You appear to be somewhere between an hourglass and a pear figure. A bit hippier than busty, with a somewhat short waist. You also seem to be self-conscious about your little belly. Empire waists, where the smallest/tightest part of the dress or blouse is on the ribs right beneath the busts and then floats away from the belly and hips are going to accentuate all the goodness and camoflauge the parts you don't like.

If the dresses in the pics are typical for your wardrobe, you should think about getting some with a bit more structure like the red dress, since the other black ones just seem to hang and droop on you. You want something that raises the bust and creates a clear fitted line below it. You don't necessarily need a plunging neckline if you're modest, plenty of fitted empire waist garments have straight or lightly scooped bodices. And you can greatly improve the look, structure and fit of a decent dress (like the black one in the 3rd pic) with a good bra and wide belts/sashes under the breast. Rouching, embellisments, bold patterns, darting, and color splashes that draw your eye where you it want it (at your ribs) are all good.

Since you seem to prefer to cover your arms (at least the upper arms), over-tops that stop above the hip or flow all the way to the knee are your best bets. You might want to get a few fitted jackets that are tapered below the bust and cropped above the hips so that they play up the lines created by the empire dress. The sleeves can be loose and floaty, but the body of the jacket or sweater should be a structured; otherwise it ends up looking baggy and droopy, which totally ruins the shape of the dress and does nothing for your figure. Shawls and shoulder wraps would also work for you, giving you a bit of cover on the arms and shoulders without detracting from your shape or the dress. A lightweight shawl of gauze or open crochet does a lot of camoflauge without adding any bulk to your silhouette. Items that fall right at the hips will only draw (unwanted) attention to your hips, belly, & thighs... they don't actually cover them or hide them!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
Have you considered what a difference some jewelry makes in adding a "finished" look to your outfits? You didn't mention it and I don't see any in your photos but a couple of bangle bracelets that are very popular now can add some appeal to any outfit. If you don't like bracelets then consider "statement" necklaces, and also there are so many great fashion rings available now at great prices. I would avoid jewelry that is too petite as it tends to get "lost" in the look. Don't underestimate accessories!

And why are you flat ironing that gorgeous pre-Raphaelite hair? I would own that look, as you almost do in the photo with the red dress. Get a great trim to shape your hair and don't neglect regular trimming if your hair grows fast.

I see nothing wrong with the way you're dressing and others have given you some great tips but I think you're just missing some of the details. Quit being so hard on yourself and have fun playing with your look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty