U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,298,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pffft, I had this when I was in HS and still tiny, and back then it earned me the 'compliment' of being called bird legs. Funny how things change.
Hahaha...I remember it being a "bad" thing too way back in Jr. High and HS (I'm talking 25+yrs ago).

Girls with "thigh gap" were loose or easy (or so was the assumption by the boys). I remember standing with my ankles crossed so boys didn't assume that about me. LOL

I am not quite as fit as I was back then...no more thigh gap, although I can't say I've given it any thought in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,094,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You must be very bitter about your body. I have seen several posts by you now that are insulting thin women.
And you clearly are bigoted against fat people specifically, and fat women in general. I do not insult thin women - I am disgusted by the fashion industry that does not represent women at all, and holds up an ideal - 5'10" - 6'2" and 130 lbs or less- that is unhealthy and unrealistic. And I'm disgusted by men who hold women's bodies to standards that are unreachable for the average person, or who cannot accept that womens and mens bodies are vastly different and should never be held to the same health standards.

You are the insulting one. You generalize about all of a certain type of people; that's bigotry, plain and simple. You will never, ever find me posting something like this, which are your exact words:

"I will call being fat disgusting...Being fat kills more people than smoking, so why is it wrong for me to point out that it's disgusting and unhealthy when about 95% of the time it's due to actions that are brought on by that own person?

As long as people are defending obese people and not understanding the consequences, yet criticizing smokers, my opinion won't change..

I can honestly say that sometimes when I walk around wal-mart, and see all these people that struggle just to WALK, I am even more disgusted than I would be walking into a bar full of smokers."

Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,495,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Okay, I did not know where to post this, but this forum seems like the right one... I came across this today:

Dallas company uses laser to create sought-after

I don't mean this in a crude way, but in all my years, I've never known there was even a term for this, or that women strived for it. I've noticed it of course, but I always accepted that some have it, some don't, and was a matter of genetics just as women have varying cup sizes. But I will admit, it has always been seductive, 'just not something I ever thought of as an item to check off a list, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, this post is about nothing really, 'just wondering how many out there knew this was yet another beauty topic for women.
There's only one gap between female thighs that I've ever cared about... and it ain't that one.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM

3,558 posts, read 4,143,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And you clearly are bigoted against fat people specifically, and fat women in general. I do not insult thin women - I am disgusted by the fashion industry that does not represent women at all, and holds up an ideal - 5'10" - 6'2" and 130 lbs or less- that is unhealthy and unrealistic. And I'm disgusted by men who hold women's bodies to standards that are unreachable for the average person, or who cannot accept that womens and mens bodies are vastly different and should never be held to the same health standards.

You are the insulting one. You generalize about all of a certain type of people; that's bigotry, plain and simple. You will never, ever find me posting something like this, which are your exact words:

"I will call being fat disgusting...Being fat kills more people than smoking, so why is it wrong for me to point out that it's disgusting and unhealthy when about 95% of the time it's due to actions that are brought on by that own person?

As long as people are defending obese people and not understanding the consequences, yet criticizing smokers, my opinion won't change..

I can honestly say that sometimes when I walk around wal-mart, and see all these people that struggle just to WALK, I am even more disgusted than I would be walking into a bar full of smokers."

Like I said.. Obesity is the number one cause of preventable death in our country. More than smoking, more than drugs, more than alcohol.

Posting facts and stating facts are not bigoted if they are true. Sorry if they aren't "positive" but it doesn't make it any less true. I'm sorry if they make you feel bad, but facts are facts and another fact is that our country sympathizes and coddles the obese instead of confronting it as a problem. Your posts are a perfect example..

If I posted a picture of a 30 year old woman with 50 year old skin that smokes 3 packs a day with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, would anyone argue that it isn't gross or unhealthy?

What makes being obese any different for the ones that are obese simply because they don't take care of themselves?

The average male model is 5'11 - 6'2 and 140-165lbs. Is that any different than the standard for the average woman? I doubt it. The difference is that men don't get all uptight about it because they aren't as self conscious.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

15,197 posts, read 16,054,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pffft, I had this when I was in HS and still tiny, and back then it earned me the 'compliment' of being called bird legs. Funny how things change.
My mom used to say that a woman's legs should touch at the thigh, the knee and the ankle. What is desirable and beautiful changes over time, I guess.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM

13,183 posts, read 7,408,610 times
Good grief, is there no end to the way the fashion industry (among others) objectify women? No wonder so many women feel ugly, worthless, and not good enough. Their very existence is supposed to revolve around how they look, and once one body part is dieted, exercised, or excised to perfection, there's always another to fix

Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 AM

26,878 posts, read 28,170,320 times
Personally, i think her legs are awesome! Instagram

Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 AM

5,489 posts, read 4,560,554 times
I believe that a man has an obligation to seeking a wife that is healthy and fit , for the sake of His children.
Both genetics and behaviors are issues children are thrust into ,why penalize them from the beginning with serious health and mental health issues ?
A man that is also unhealthy is to blame as well. door swings both ways.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 PM

33,090 posts, read 26,901,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Like I said.. Obesity is the number one cause of preventable death in our country. More than smoking, more than drugs, more than alcohol.

Posting facts and stating facts are not bigoted if they are true. Sorry if they aren't "positive" but it doesn't make it any less true. I'm sorry if they make you feel bad, but facts are facts and another fact is that our country sympathizes and coddles the obese instead of confronting it as a problem. Your posts are a perfect example..

If I posted a picture of a 30 year old woman with 50 year old skin that smokes 3 packs a day with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, would anyone argue that it isn't gross or unhealthy?

What makes being obese any different for the ones that are obese simply because they don't take care of themselves?

The average male model is 5'11 - 6'2 and 140-165lbs. Is that any different than the standard for the average woman? I doubt it. The difference is that men don't get all uptight about it because they aren't as self conscious.
Nope. It's not obesity. It's diseases that can be attributable to obesity. Which are diseases that thin people can get, too. And, they do.

I agree that people need to keep their weight in check, for health reasons.

But, there are some healthy people out there that casual observers (who are less healthy) might assume were unhealthy because they are not thin.

You cannot tell how healthy someone is by looking at a picture.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:43 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,444,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Hahaha...I remember it being a "bad" thing too way back in Jr. High and HS (I'm talking 25+yrs ago).

Girls with "thigh gap" were loose or easy (or so was the assumption by the boys). I remember standing with my ankles crossed so boys didn't assume that about me.
That's funny! 15 years ago in my hs days, i always wanted a "thigh gap." I dont remember anyone else bringing it up as either good or bad. I had wide spanning hip bones and was a dancer. It took me years to realize and accept that my body is not built that way. I am pigeon toed so the thighs fold into each other and my thighs are also muscular from dancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty