U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:10 PM

1,040 posts, read 815,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Thigh gap...the space between your inner thighs? People with a thigh gap of zero should not wear corduroys. Too many BTUs generated when walking. Overheating and spontaneous combustion could result.
(I realize this post is over 1.5 years old.)

The thing about women wanting a thigh gap often starts in puberty. Girls' bodies are getting curvier fast and they are getting a rush of hormones at the same time that make them more emotional, self conscious, and interested in sex. One of the potential bodily changes is the disappearance of the thigh gap.

Girls are frequently obsessed with their thighs at this time in their lives. I have known many who start sitting on the edge of seats so their thighs won't flatten out against the bottom of the seat, because it makes them feel fat.

I remember the telltale corduroy pants noise being a source of shame for girls. If the fabric made that noise, their thigh gap was gone and they were "fat".

I chalk all of this up to puberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:01 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
I've heard it referred to as "the gap" several decades ago, and I guess there isn't a better description for it. Some guys love it. Never liked the look, myself, and am glad I don't have one.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 AM

659 posts, read 980,508 times
you don't have to be "bow-legged" to have a thigh gap.
hell, how do you explain men in that case?

Old 12-28-2015, 05:17 AM

251 posts, read 116,187 times
I am confused. I thought a huge booty, butt implants and big hips were in now (Kim Kardashian). There are so many changing body ideals day by day. Probably the most sensible approach would be to be as healthy and fit as possible and be content with what you have otherwise you are in a losing battle. If you spend a ton of money to laser your thighs or get butt surgery, it will be out of style in the blink of an eye for some new "ideal" that you might feel pressured to persue if ideals are so important to have.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I am confused. I thought a huge booty, butt implants and big hips were in now (Kim Kardashian). There are so many changing body ideals day by day. Probably the most sensible approach would be to be as healthy and fit as possible and be content with what you have otherwise you are in a losing battle. If you spend a ton of money to laser your thighs or get butt surgery, it will be out of style in the blink of an eye for some new "ideal" that you might feel pressured to persue if ideals are so important to have.
THIS^^^. And in spades. I am going with what I have, fashion be damned. I keep myself healthy and fit, and if it isn't "good enough" for certain people, well they can stick it where the sun don't shine!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 PM

627 posts, read 796,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
THIS^^^. And in spades. I am going with what I have, fashion be damned. I keep myself healthy and fit, and if it isn't "good enough" for certain people, well they can stick it where the sun don't shine!
Like, uh, between their thighs.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Like, uh, between their thighs.

Exactly!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 PM

944 posts, read 770,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Only in and out of style with women. I remember when females did not like big butts and even made fun of them, and now having a bigger butt is the craze. However, the same taste in bodies have stayed consistent with men. I've never known any straight man that didn't appreciate having a nice pair of breasts and butt even from the 80's. It's only women that go into details about their bodies, and making certain body parts in or out of style such as thigh gaps. I've never been around any man that would say, "Damn, did you check out how many inches apart in her thigh gap?"

Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM

10,028 posts, read 4,151,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
you don't have to be "bow-legged" to have a thigh gap.
Exactly! I have a natural thigh gap and I am no where near being bowlegged.

A thigh gap largely has to do with your bone structure; something you cannot change. To try and diet and exercise your way to a thigh gap is completely unrealistic and any trainer that tells you otherwise is either wildly uneducated on the subject of fitness and the human body, or just telling you what they think you want to hear.

There's nothing wrong with having a thigh gap. There is, however, something wrong with over exercising, ruthlessly dieting to the point of being malnourished, and generally making yourself mentally and physically unhealthy in effort to reach a goal that is literally not possible for your body.

Moral of the Story: You either have one naturally due to your body structure or you don't have the right body structure.

I have seen bowlegged thigh gaps but not all thigh gaps are due to being bowlegged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty