Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,299,349 times

Advertisements

In all my years, I've never had a guy admire or remark upon the distance between my thighs. I've received plenty of compliments on my legs and such, but are there men out there who are actually using this criteria when they are seeking a partner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 PM

29,645 posts, read 34,134,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
In all my years, I've never had a guy admire or remark upon the distance between my thighs. I've received plenty of compliments on my legs and such, but are there men out there who are actually using this criteria when they are seeking a partner?
I don't think that it's generated by male attention so much as it's yet another thing for women to feel self-conscious about and judge each other on.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think that it's generated by male attention so much as it's yet another thing for women to feel self-conscious about and judge each other on.

+1

I've had two female friends ask me about it and if I had an opinion on it. Once they told me what it meant I just looked incredulously and told them that is not something that registers.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,212,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pffft, I had this when I was in HS and still tiny, and back then it earned me the 'compliment' of being called bird legs. Funny how things change.
Me too! Got nothing but teased and called chicken legs. No internet back then. I would have been fashionabl???

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I've noticed lately that young girls seem to be going to extremes to have thigh gap. Not just starving themselves, but also walking bow-legged. I was behind a gaggle of girls at the mall recently, and noticed that a couple of them were walking funny. It took me a while, but I realized that they were trying to make sure their thighs didn't touch.

Sounds like the walk my cousins baby used to end up doing after pooping in his pants .

Old 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Just one more overtly sexual way to measure women. And don't get me wrong: I've been known to objectify women, but as I've gotten older, it just gets sillier and more damaging to people's opinions of themselves. Add to it, I'm a father to 2 young girls, so it seems more and more disrespectful now to me.

Shoe is now on my other foot in life.
LOL. I (female) have two girls myself so I am extra sensitive to such things as well. Though, if they take after me, they won't care about such things

As for this 'thigh gap', why the heck would I want to have THAT? It's one thing if you have one of those super slender frames, but I happen to like my shapely, curvy legs that do not have a gap. They go with my hips and they fit perfectly with my body. I'm happy with them.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,850,642 times
A woman has to be somewhat healthy to have either...eating less calories than what one needs and exercising. Curves and thick and stuff is cool but this is about slender chicks. I had a few gfs who fit into this context and they were gorgeous. Some people claimed they were unhealthy for being slender but they could do more physical activities than those who questioned their health. I later learned it was jealousy.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
A woman has to be somewhat healthy to have either...eating less calories than what one needs and exercising. Curves and thick and stuff is cool but this is about slender chicks. I had a few gfs who fit into this context and they were gorgeous. Some people claimed they were unhealthy for being slender but they could do more physical activities than those who questioned their health. I later learned it was jealousy.
not sure if your post was directed at me, because I'm not thick although I have curves and no thigh gap. I am 5'10 and 148 lbs at 38 years old. I acknowledged that thigh gaps are great for small framed women, but I personally wouldn't want to have such gap. I definitely wouldn't pay to have such a thing. My genetics have dictated that there will be no gap and I'm happy with my genetics. Ain't a knock against thinner girls, more of a self happiness sorta thing.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,247,220 times
Thigh gap? I guess, it sure beats looking like a mermaid.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,338,887 times
Unfortunately, I'm aware that this has become "a thing". A thing of which I want no part.
Yes, parts of my body are in contact with other parts of my body. That seems hardly noteworthy to me.

Culturally, it's one in an endless series of invented metrics by which to keep the populace distracted
with insecurities that they're encouraged to spend money on alleviating.

What, are we all supposed to aspire to resembling a Giacometti sculpture (stick figure) ?

File:ThreeMenWalkingII.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty