Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I am sure many of you have seen the Seattle Symphony performing Baby Got Back with Sir-Mix-A-Lot.
Here's The Seattle Symphony Performing 'Baby Got Back' With Sir Mix-A-Lot - Digg

I loved this performance, but I was absolutely appalled at the ladies wearing their workout clothing! Trainers and running tights with hoodies! To the symphony?

Whatever happened to dressing for the occasion. I mean I think jeans and a nice top would have been on the casual end, but that is totally ridiculous to be wearing sneakers!

So what do you think, what is appropriate to wear to the symphony, orchestra, ballet and other dress up affairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Business casual is considered acceptable for the symphony now. Add in Sir-Mix-A-Lot to the mix and you have to expect some additional level of casualness. It's like not wearing a suit and tie to work any more unless you are a lawyer, people like to be comfortable. I have no problem with nice jeans or Dockers, and a Polo shirt for any kind of performance. Sneakers and hoodies would normally be a bit much but I'm not surprised in this case.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am sure many of you have seen the Seattle Symphony performing Baby Got Back with Sir-Mix-A-Lot.
Here's The Seattle Symphony Performing 'Baby Got Back' With Sir Mix-A-Lot - Digg

I loved this performance, but I was absolutely appalled at the ladies wearing their workout clothing! Trainers and running tights with hoodies! To the symphony?

Whatever happened to dressing for the occasion.
Are you serious?
Hoodies are totally appropriate when you are featuring Sir Mix-a-Lot singing 'Baby Got Back", symphony or other.
It's not like that was a dignified affair....

Old 06-09-2014, 03:17 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
So one has to buy a fancy dress or suit and tie to be able to enjoy a live performance of classical music? Good thing I can buy a CD or listen to it on the radio.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
So one has to buy a fancy dress or suit and tie to be able to enjoy a live performance of classical music? Good thing I can buy a CD or listen to it on the radio.
Oh, c'mon... surely you have one nice outfit you can wear!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nothing that makes one think i make over $10k a year

Old 06-09-2014, 03:40 PM

All sorts go to the symphony... even students who make less than that.
Why do you think your income plays into it? No one knows that but you... and they won't know unless you tell them.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
I would dress nice to go to a play or symphony, but honestly couldn't care less what someone else chooses to wear. I've noticed that as time goes on, people dress more and more casual even for situations that people would dress up for in the past. Lots of people don't even dress up for church anymore...just shorts/jeans and a polo. It is what it is.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Whatever happened to dressing for the occasion. I mean I think jeans and a nice top would have been on the casual end, but that is totally ridiculous to be wearing sneakers!
I agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It doesn't even have to be that "nice" ... just casual attire you would wear to a good restaurant - but not gym wear or something you would wear while washing the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Business casual is considered acceptable for the symphony now. Add in Sir-Mix-A-Lot to the mix and you have to expect some additional level of casualness. It's like not wearing a suit and tie to work any more unless you are a lawyer, people like to be comfortable. I have no problem with nice jeans or Dockers, and a Polo shirt for any kind of performance. Sneakers and hoodies would normally be a bit much but I'm not surprised in this case.
If it's the symphony (performing artist is no excuse) in a Symphonic Hall or Opera House: athletic shorts, work-out clothes, leotards, hoodies, tank tops, even white T-shirt undershirts are extremely gauche and déclassé.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I only go in the afternoons, if then. Almost no one dresses up.

I don't go in my grubby gardening clothes: I'm neat and clean, but I rarely dress up on weekends, and if the event requires more than business casual, I probably won't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty