U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM
 
331 posts, read 439,735 times
Reputation: 434

Advertisements

Hair transplants have become remarkably better. No scarring, virtually all implanted follicles remaining intact. There's still nothing a guy can do if he's full cue ball, but a guy who has lost about 40% over less of hair on top can go back to a full head of hair if he's willing and able to shell out a few thousands bucks. Considering hair is very important for looks, and considering that most of us already have already spent a couple thousand dollars on braces to make our mouths look better, I don't see what is so weird about a guy getting a hair transplant. Seems like a completely reasonable thing to do.

Look at these videos:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST5jb2WHdtk


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qTWWb4T6Wc


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqmk2cSQSNY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138
Because maybe we don't care about a bunch of dead cells covering our head?

Just buzz it all off and get on with life. It's a bold masculine look that younger people with full heads of hair are voluntarily doing. Makes your "badass" level go up instantly. Also is super easy to live with.


Besides, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone thousands of dollars to put a massive scar across the back of my head. No thanks. Don't know where you heard about "no scarring", but I've heard plenty from guys who have done the procedure and horribly regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 04:28 PM
 
331 posts, read 439,735 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Besides, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone thousands of dollars to put a massive scar across the back of my head. No thanks. Don't know where you heard about "no scarring", but I've heard plenty from guys who have done the procedure and horribly regret it.
You haven't done your research. What you're talking about is an *** transplant, where they take a strip off the back of your head. That procedure has become tremendously better, but there's also FUE, a procedure where they pluck follicles individually, leaving only tiny punctures that heal in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
 
3,876 posts, read 4,573,224 times
Reputation: 10004
I remember seeing a fellow who obviously had a hair transplant done. He was fairly young then (I'd guess 28-33) and got it done much too soon, because he already had an island of transplanted hair on the front of his head, and he continued balding behind it, so he looked beyond ridiculous. Every time I saw him I thought, "bet he wished he spent that money on a hot car instead."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I remember seeing a fellow who obviously had a hair transplant done. He was fairly young then (I'd guess 28-33) and got it done much too soon, because he already had an island of transplanted hair on the front of his head, and he continued balding behind it, so he looked beyond ridiculous. Every time I saw him I thought, "bet he wished he spent that money on a hot car instead."
Thats the other issue, not know how far your hair loss will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Reputation: 61840
Some men do not attach who they are to the number of hairs on their head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
You haven't done your research. What you're talking about is an *** transplant, where they take a strip off the back of your head. That procedure has become tremendously better, but there's also FUE, a procedure where they pluck follicles individually, leaving only tiny punctures that heal in a few days.
I gotta ask, why do you care so much? It's just hair. I haven't done my research when it comes to hair transplants because they never were a serious option to me, once I heard about their price and the potential scarring involved I dropped it. It's just not that big a deal. I did enough research into propencia to see that it can mess guys up for life, so that was out. Rogaine, just no, not putting that crap on my head every day.

As someone who has gone through hair loss at a relatively young age and who was attached to his hair and how it looked all through life, I can tell you that it is SO much nicer having a tight buzz. My mental health improved markedly once I buzzed it all off, it was like taking off a weighted vest I'd been wearing for years. It's nice not to care and not hide behind pills, procedures, wigs, etc and it does wonders for your confidence and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Greater LA area
15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Reputation: 30558
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Because maybe we don't care about a bunch of dead cells covering our head?

Just buzz it all off and get on with life. It's a bold masculine look that younger people with full heads of hair are voluntarily doing. Makes your "badass" level go up instantly. Also is super easy to live with.


Besides, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone thousands of dollars to put a massive scar across the back of my head. No thanks. Don't know where you heard about "no scarring", but I've heard plenty from guys who have done the procedure and horribly regret it.

I would try to do get a transplant if I would be balding.

I don't think it makes you look badass to shave a balding head. It makes you look badass MAYBE if you have hair and shave it off and people see that stubbles grow back.

You do realize that people see the difference if you shave it out of baldess desperation or for BADASS reasons, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would try to do get a transplant if I would be balding.

I don't think it makes you look badass to shave a balding head. It makes you look badass MAYBE if you have hair and shave it off and people see that stubbles grow back.

You do realize that people see the difference if you shave it out of baldess desperation or for BADASS reasons, right?
You do realize that men with self esteem and confidence don't care what others think, right? We buzz our balding noggins because it's the only legitimate option we have left, it just so happens that a tight buzz tends to increase one's masculine appearance. It's not out of desperation, it's because we have hit the point where we look better with a tight buzz/shave then with the bozo the clown look, and the smart decision is to go with the option that works best.

You speak of balding so lightly, I'd invite you to experience it yourself if it were possible so you could feel the affect it has on most guys. Guys kill themselves over it, it's intense.

Besides, recently a study was done on the affects of a shaved head, and it turns out shaved men are seen as having more "masculinity, strength, dominance and leadership potential" then their fully haired counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM
 
6,461 posts, read 6,094,894 times
Reputation: 9778
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I remember seeing a fellow who obviously had a hair transplant done. He was fairly young then (I'd guess 28-33) and got it done much too soon, because he already had an island of transplanted hair on the front of his head, and he continued balding behind it, so he looked beyond ridiculous. Every time I saw him I thought, "bet he wished he spent that money on a hot car instead."
Yes, I briefly dated a guy who had done this. It was a deal breaker, whereas baldness is fine. Use rogaine instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top