U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,959,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Do you think it will cover spider veins? I don't want to apply it all over, just the few areas I have the spider veins.
It will cover them (if you're talking about those small red veins... I have a couple & they were), but if you're doing spot covering, depending upon how light your skin is, I'm not sure you'll be able to blend it well, as it dries fast & is opaque... & I felt even the light color was too opaque & unnaturally colored on my skin. Maybe PuppyS has some tips on application as she's had better results than I. I used up my can & didn't buy it again as I just looked like I had legs covered in orangy-yellowish makeup. But, if the color is good for you, it doesn't smudge or come off on clothing.

They used to sell it in Sally's (that's where I purchased it years ago) & they sometimes have testers of products. Perhaps you could call there first, if you have one nearby, before going to WalMart. Good luck. I hope it works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,061,603 times
Airbrush Legs by Sally Hansen (water resistant) is great. Does a good job covering little spider veins. I bought it at Walmart.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Default Online self tanner coupons

If anyone wants to test a new self tanner & lives near an Empire Beauty Supply, there are online coupons available on their website, which can be used by those who are not cosmetologists. The front page has several... 10% off any order, $2 off $10+ order & $3 off $15+ order (no expiration dates that I can see), but if you search for self tanners, it will bring you to more coupons, one for 25% off Sobronze, an aerosol self tanner. (Note: As I began to print the Sobronze coupon, I noticed it expired in 2011, but is still onsite. Since Empire is rather close to me, I'll go today & ask about that & report back... maybe they still honor it? I find it hard to believe they've abandoned their website for 3-yrs!)

Also, in the hopes it helps someone else, here's one of their articles which describes the difference in self tanning products... those which tan in hours vs over days. Also, it mentions there are a few products which last a week or more, which I hadn't heard of before. Since I mentioned my problem isn't in getting a realistic color (I like the color of most I've used... guess I'm lucky that I never found any which turned orange), it's the smell I find a abhorrent, I'm wondering if it's because I always use the instant tanners, which tan in an hour. So, I'm going to give one of the other products a try.

Here's the article:
Self Tanners | Empire Beauty Supply

Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Update with new tanner

I bought Body Drench Quicktan gradual tanner in medium color at Empire Beauty Supply. The 8-oz tube was $18. They currently have a sale with many products, including this one, that with the purchase of 1, a 2nd is 1/2-off & they also accept the online coupons.

The woman working there said she used only this & she had a deep, dark, all over tan. Either she said she applied it every other day or twice/wk... I'll have to ask her when I go next week. When I smelled it from the tube, I thought the smell was similar to all the others I've used, but amazingly, once applied to the skin, there is no scent at all... not even a hint. I don't know how that can be, but it is true & I'm happy.

Since it's a gradual tanner, I'll have to wait 'til I use it a few times to be able to tell how it's progressing. I only put it on once this morning & honestly have been so busy, I haven't checked to see how it looks. I only need it on my legs, which is good, because at $18/tube, well, that's a bit pricey, but a little went a long way & I'm sure I'll get a couple of months out of this bottle. They also had a deeper color, but I don't want to be too dark as I'll look like a marble cake with dark legs & everything else white.

I'll apply it again tomorrow, then every other day for a week & report back in the event it would be helpful for someone else. Have a good weekend, All!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM

14,659 posts, read 29,734,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I bought Body Drench Quicktan gradual tanner in medium color at Empire Beauty Supply. The 8-oz tube was $18. They currently have a sale with many products, including this one, that with the purchase of 1, a 2nd is 1/2-off & they also accept the online coupons.

The woman working there said she used only this & she had a deep, dark, all over tan. Either she said she applied it every other day or twice/wk... I'll have to ask her when I go next week. When I smelled it from the tube, I thought the smell was similar to all the others I've used, but amazingly, once applied to the skin, there is no scent at all... not even a hint. I don't know how that can be, but it is true & I'm happy.

Since it's a gradual tanner, I'll have to wait 'til I use it a few times to be able to tell how it's progressing. I only put it on once this morning & honestly have been so busy, I haven't checked to see how it looks. I only need it on my legs, which is good, because at $18/tube, well, that's a bit pricey, but a little went a long way & I'm sure I'll get a couple of months out of this bottle. They also had a deeper color, but I don't want to be too dark as I'll look like a marble cake with dark legs & everything else white.

I'll apply it again tomorrow, then every other day for a week & report back in the event it would be helpful for someone else. Have a good weekend, All!
Keep us posted!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Keep us posted!
Okay, this stuff is great! I applied it twice with a day in-between applications.

Application
: Thick, but spreadable cream goes on smoothly & evenly, with no scent & disappears right into skin. The texture is nice, like a body cream. If hands are rinsed immediately, there's no problem with discolored paws/nails. Within 1-2 hrs, the color is noticeable... it is gradual.

Color: Perfect. I'm very fair. When I was a kid & spent the summer in the sunshine, this is the color I'd be at the end of summer. A natural looking, medium, toasty color. No unnatural yellow/orange undertones. It's just a sun-toasted, medium beige-brown. I think this color would compliment any skin color. (Note: I don't think I'd like the darker color... it would make me too brown, which I think might mimic Tootsie Roll tan mom if over-applied & also, I'm only applying to legs. The dark color would look good on dark olive skins... anyone lighter would need to apply from forehead to toes.)

Does it Last?: Yes! I take 1-2 baths daily... rarely showers. Even soaking in the tub for 10-15 min in hotter water, it doesn't streak or rub off, with the exception of the bit I got on unevenly near my ankle & purposely scrubbed off with a bath sponge. In that case, it sort of rolled off, but amazingly, it doesn't seem to stain my white tub, as all others have done.

I shaved my legs in-between applications (which is why I waited to report results... like a good CSI agent... I was more curious if it would come off). It did come off where I shaved, but the fake color is not so dark that if I didn't have time to reapply I'd spend time worrying about it. Fortunately, I have blonde hair & about 20 hairs on each calf only, so shaving is a once/mo thing for me. For anyone else needing to shave/wax more often, you'd need to reapply afterwards.

Coverage: It's not fading or streaking or flaking (a problem I had with all others), even though I had a bath today & didn't reapply the tanner. Additional applications are accumulative, so if you don't want to be too dark (I don't), the Empire Beauty website suggests mixing a bit of tanner with a bit of moisturizer & applying. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Gypsy... I have a couple of red spider veins & a blue vein & although it doesn't completely camouflage them, I notice them less... with the red veins, you'd have to be staring at my leg, at that particular area, up close, to notice a vein. But, I'm so used to them, I don't worry about coverage. I do, however, always have leg bruises & they stand out, so the color does seem to blend in with them & they're hardly noticeable. The Sally Hansen that was mentioned is leg makeup, so that may spot treat better for you, if that's a major concern.

Verdict: Would I buy it again? Absolutely. When I considered that although it's $18/8-oz tube, I only used the size of 2 quarters on each leg & I'm tall & have long legs. I'm guessing I won't need another tube for 3-mos. I'm keeping track. The others I listed before are half that price for the same size, but I have to reapply them everyday & sometimes twice in 1 day to even out streaks... that's in part because the others aren't as spreadable... 1 was more gel-like.

Although there's no smell from the bottle, once the tan sets in, there is an ever-so-slight hint of a scent, even after a bath, but that's all. Still & all, I'm overjoyed with that, because the others are just bloody rank in scent. Also, although I liked the color of all the others, this color is far superior on my skin. It doesn't look like I applied tanner at all... it looks like I spent a vacation at the beach.

I decided to use up my others (I dislike waste), so instead of reapplying this every few days (I think I could get away with 3-4 days in-between applications, because it really doesn't seem to fade), I'll apply the one's I don't like every 3rd day & see what happens.

So, it's worth the price as it spreads a long way & doesn't need frequent application. Best features are no smell & very natural color. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty