Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times

Advertisements

I normally use self tanner on my legs only, during the summer, but now that I'm in SoCal, I could use it pretty much year round wearing bare leg fashions. I currently use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze tinted self-tanning lotion in medium/natural tan, whose color I like as it's subtle & doesn't leave an abnormal orange color on the skin & it also leaves subtle gold flecks on the skin, which I like... however I cannot stomach the strong smell. Even after numerous baths, I can still smell it... & I only use it on my legs... so I'm guessing if I can smell it (even after a spritz of pricey perfume), so can others.

I also use Jergens Natural Glow in medium to tan & that smells even worse. Again, I bathe 1-2 times daily & reapply every other day... but, the smell is rancid... I virtually smell that chemical smell all day, everyday.

I didn't really want to enter a debate on not wearing it... I'm so white, I virtually glow in the dark... I cover my legs in a bit of self tanner only as women don't wear hose here & I feel I'm too stark white. As an aside, I'm still struggling with proper interview etiquette... nylons or bare legs... but, that's another post. So... does anyone use a self tanner they like (OTC, as I don't wish to pay for pricey salon services & also only cover my legs)?

I've heard some say FakeBake is good, but it is $25/tube, treble/quadruple what I currently pay for the others. I'll gladly pay the price if it doesn't leave a strong after smell, but wanted to see if others have any positive feedback on using it.

Any self tanners on board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
They ALL smell, because they have the chemical which stains your skin. I tried different brands years ago, and just could not bear it. I get my tan the natural way, from the sun.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Someone gave me the Tarte self tanner as a gift and it barely smells at all and is certainly gone after bathing. That said, at $40 a bottle, you're paying out the nose for the lack of smell.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 PM

175 posts, read 287,933 times
Agreed about smell. and its impossible to tell from just sniffing before buying as the smell develops and the chemical reaction happens. I have the jergens natural glow ( also in socal and also neon white) and it starts out ok but then the smell develops and its pretty bad. Im sorry I dont have any other personally tried ones to help you with though ive heard good things about the st tropez line, though ...of course its pricey. One thing to note, if you buy and expensive one from Ulta even if you use it and cant bear the smell you can bring it back. they have all the higher end stuff and offer returns even if used . Hope that helps a bit

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
They ALL smell, because they have the chemical which stains your skin. I tried different brands years ago, and just could not bear it. I get my tan the natural way, from the sun.
I feared they'd all smell nasty.

I've spent my life out of the sun, but have somehow ended up with malignant melanoma several times & its horrid subsequent surgeries... so, I rely on cosmetics for a not-so-bright-white look. And, yes, for those who may come along later... I do know fake pigmentation doesn't offer sun protection, but I'm only wondering about cosmetic color.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Someone gave me the Tarte self tanner as a gift and it barely smells at all and is certainly gone after bathing. That said, at $40 a bottle, you're paying out the nose for the lack of smell.
That's too bad about the staying power. Actually, the best color I've ever had is the time or 2 I used a cheap foundation and/or bronze powder... it was for events which required wearing a frilly cocktail dress, so worth the effort. Looks great, but of course, it can come off on clothing or furniture, so that was my focus for the evening. Ah, well, I'll keep looking. Thanks Charol...

Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Agreed about smell. and its impossible to tell from just sniffing before buying as the smell develops and the chemical reaction happens. I have the jergens natural glow ( also in socal and also neon white) and it starts out ok but then the smell develops and its pretty bad. Im sorry I dont have any other personally tried ones to help you with though ive heard good things about the st tropez line, though ...of course its pricey. One thing to note, if you buy and expensive one from Ulta even if you use it and cant bear the smell you can bring it back. they have all the higher end stuff and offer returns even if used . Hope that helps a bit
Thanks for the info on Ulta returns, Styl. There's a store nearby, so perhaps they have testers of tanning products? If not & I can easily return it, I'll find something & give it a go. I know they carry Fake Bake (my niece works at Ulta in another state & said it's their store's best seller... but, when I asked about odor, she'd never tried it & never heard complaints, so had no idea), but I was afraid of spending $25 on a small bottle & not being happy with it. Some are even more... I've seen $40+ 8-oz bottles. I'll go white before spending that much.

I like tanner as my legs are often covered in bruises, too. I'm the clumsiest person I know & if I walk around sans glasses, even at home, I seem to just bump into everything. I also have long legs & am constantly hitting my knees under every table/desk I sit at... I feel like a bruised piece of fruit sometimes. Maybe I need to attach a backup sensor which beeps.

You are right about the Jergens not smelling so gnarly in the bottle, but increasing in strength after application. Actually, I've noticed it smells stronger in the tube with time... so perhaps it's also an oxidation process? In any event, it looks nice & I'll use it up, but won't buy either that or the L'Oreal again. An ex-bf once ever-so-gently told me how turned off he was by the smell of the tanner... I agree.

Foundation looks great, is cheap & takes seconds to apply... too bad it has no staying power. So, do you still use the Jergens or are you on the hunt for something else? Should you come across anything you like, please let me know. I'll do the same.

Happy summer, All!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I feared they'd all smell nasty.

I've spent my life out of the sun, but have somehow ended up with malignant melanoma several times & its horrid subsequent surgeries... so, I rely on cosmetics for a not-so-bright-white look. And, yes, for those who may come along later... I do know fake pigmentation doesn't offer sun protection, but I'm only wondering about cosmetic color.
I am sorry to hear about your melanomas. You know, it has been proven that more people get melanoma who have NOT been in the sun than those who do. And more people get cancer from sunscreens than those who do not use it. The sun is healthy for people IF they exercise good sense and only get a little bit each day. Maybe you could try getting a LITTLE natural exposure. You start slowly, like 10 minutes per day just til skin turns a slight pink, and build up. If you are very fair you probably would max out at 20 minutes per day. If you are dark eyed like I am I get 60-90 minutes. I always maintain a medium golden tan, and my skin looks great. At 64, I have no wrinkles. I use a little virgin coconut oil for moisturizing and as a very low natural sunscreen. I also can't believe that using a lot of those nasty-smelling tanners can be good for you - you absorb anything you put on your skin.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and maybe now in SoCa you could try getting a few minutes at a time the natural way. By the way, I live in Florida where sun is the strongest!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM

175 posts, read 287,933 times
^ Umm...sorry...no.
OP, PatanjaliTwist. if you have had melanoma stay the hell out of the sun. And, yes, I am going to use up the Jergens and its a good color for me if i use it every other day. every day and im too orange. Im a northern european redehead so yeah...orange clashes! lol
I will let you know if i find anyhting better.
I have skin damage from sun exposure when i worked on a mini series in the desert for 3 months and will never willingly expose myself to sun again. Gypsychic is obviously of a much darker heritage ( perhaps italian or latino) and that makes all the difference for sun exposure. And i would LOVE to see actual factual scientific studies saying more people get cancer fromusing sunscreen??!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Okay, I'm jumping off now. I didn't want this to turn into a sunburn/damage/cancer thread... self tanner only & I've got my answer... to try them myself... but we all must do our own research to determine which products or lack thereof are good for us. I'm all set there. Thanks everyone & have a good summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty