U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What was the worst decade for fashion?
1920s 2 1.41%
1930s 2 1.41%
1940s 4 2.82%
1950s 5 3.52%
1960s 5 3.52%
1970s 46 32.39%
1980s 39 27.46%
1990s 15 10.56%
2000s 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,949,478 times
Reputation: 3424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
For now, I voted for the 2000s. After all, it might be rather hard to beat this...
I saw one young lad in Boston attempt to race across a rather busy street in order to catch a bus... well, he hobbled, then sort of hopped, then tripped & fell in the street. Drivers passing by were laughing hysterically as he rolled around on the pavement, stuck under the weight of his backpack, as he tried to get to his feet, hitch 'em up & look cool to the teenage girls on the bus.

Dude almost literally threw himself under the bus.

 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
3,861 posts, read 10,090,073 times
Reputation: 4276
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I saw one young lad in Boston attempt to race across a rather busy street in order to catch a bus... well, he hobbled, then sort of hopped, then tripped & fell in the street. Drivers passing by were laughing hysterically as he rolled around on the pavement, stuck under the weight of his backpack, as he tried to get to his feet, hitch 'em up & look cool to the teenage girls on the bus.

Dude almost literally threw himself under the bus.
Not fair PatanjaliTwist. You can't allow yourself to post this many hilarious posts in a single thread. I can't find a way to rep you enough.

While I agree that the butt sagging jeans of the 90s/00s are bad, at least only the guys did that. And fortunately, it appears that they are pulling up those saggers and mens/boys jeans have actually gotten pretty tight.

In the 70s, both the guys and the girls dressed awfully. I know; I was there. The 80s were much, much better than 70s in both clothes styles. The 80s had a lot of individual experimentation. Not all of it worked, so it is dated, but it's not the Brady Bunch shaming styles of the 70s.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,627 posts, read 4,633,030 times
Reputation: 6732
Now. We dress very modestly and i feel terrible at what most of these girls find acceptable to wear...let alone the fact their parents allow it!
 
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Glendale, AZ, USA
5 posts, read 7,756 times
Reputation: 11
I went with the 1930's due to the Great Depression - I figured lots of people bought a lot of cheap outfits because they couldn't afford much.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 03:21 AM
 
Location: Glendale, AZ, USA
5 posts, read 7,756 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
The 80s may not have had the best fashions but you know what it did have? The most open minded and accepting society.
I disagree. I had classmates that made fun of Michael Jackson because they thought he was gay. It was also very hard for people to come out of the closet during that decade, although it was easier than the previous decades. I think people are more open-minded NOW about things than they ever were before.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 AM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,161,574 times
Reputation: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Not fair PatanjaliTwist. You can't allow yourself to post this many hilarious posts in a single thread. I can't find a way to rep you enough.

While I agree that the butt sagging jeans of the 90s/00s are bad, at least only the guys did that. And fortunately, it appears that they are pulling up those saggers and mens/boys jeans have actually gotten pretty tight.

In the 70s, both the guys and the girls dressed awfully. I know; I was there. The 80s were much, much better than 70s in both clothes styles. The 80s had a lot of individual experimentation. Not all of it worked, so it is dated, but it's not the Brady Bunch shaming styles of the 70s.
Ah, but don't forget the infamous "whale tail" so many girls love. I still see that now and then, blech.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
 
5,146 posts, read 2,992,030 times
Reputation: 17594
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I adore that mod rocker, Peggy Lipton style from the 60s (vertically pinstriped hip-huggers & flowered minis), but what provoked designers to make a paper dress? Surely, it couldn't have lasted long. I shudder to think what would have happened if caught in the rain. Were they cheap & supposed to be disposable or some such similar function? I never heard of them.
I can't remember the marketing angle. I think it was more of an art form - functional art. Or the everyday as art ala Andy Warhol or Yoko Ono.

The paper was soft but tough. It had some kind of fibrous material woven into it but I certainly didn't want to take the risk.
 
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Also, I guess I'm an inner diva because when someone mentions eras & styles, like the 30s, I see old Cary Grant movies in my mind & think of women in gorgeous dresses & men in beautifully tailored suits... when in fact, the average person probably didn't wear such clothing day to day & as it was the depression, many couldn't afford it.
No doubt my grandmothers mostly wore simple cotton house dresses all day in the 30s - when my mom and dad were barfing on their respective shoulders all day long, LOL - but from pictures I've seen they had more than one "good" dress. My dad's mom seems to have favored flowery prints and fluttery hemlines. And my dad's father, especially, had pinstriped suits that, with his slicked back hair in the fashion of the day, made him look like a hitman for Al Capone. They were quite a striking couple, back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I adore that mod rocker, Peggy Lipton style from the 60s (vertically pinstriped hip-huggers & flowered minis), but what provoked designers to make a paper dress?
Probably just the desire to do something outrageous. Why not? LOL I found one at a thrift shop in the 80s and wore it to a party, bringing along cloth clothing just in case. And it's a good thing I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I saw one young lad in Boston attempt to race across a rather busy street in order to catch a bus... well, he hobbled, then sort of hopped, then tripped & fell in the street. Drivers passing by were laughing hysterically as he rolled around on the pavement, stuck under the weight of his backpack, as he tried to get to his feet, hitch 'em up & look cool to the teenage girls on the bus.
Talk about a slave to fashion!
 
Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,077 posts, read 4,046,849 times
Reputation: 10052
I voted for 70s, but now that I think about it, I would say any time period in which droopy drawers were "in fashion." The single stoooopidest thing I have ever seen on a human body. And it just won't go away!!
 
Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28915
LOL, with dresses that looked like "babydoll" pajamas? The 60s. Hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top